Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type One Engine in a Type Four Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....type 4 vs type 1?

Don't make me get Jake in here Wink

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:

Don't make me get Jake in here Wink

And if Jake comes in here, so will Danimal. Then the REAL war will start!

Shocked
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a type4 vs type 1 thread? Confused Laughing

More like keep the correct engine in the bus if want the best results long term. Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
More like keep the correct engine in the bus if want the best results long term.

It's really the best advice. Conversions are always easier than advertized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversions are always HARDER than advertized.

Agreed. We know what you meant Richard.

PS I don't doubt that Raby builds a nice engine. I also have no doubt that most of will never spend $5000+ for an engine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

PS I don't doubt that Raby builds a nice engine. I also have no doubt that most of will never spend $5000+ for an engine.

That's what they go for? Ouch. I figured he wouldn't be cheap, but $5k is more than "not cheap". It's in the realm of "Friggin expensive".
Volksfolk74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Agree with all! I had a 74 bus, prior to any vw knowledge,.....the single, not original, carb went down in flames on the side of the highway. Thus starting my first semester at VDUBU Laughing Back then I thougt I was saving money and time and went with the Type 1..... Yeah it worked fine had lots of road trips but I was always always worried that something was coming.....I think I gave myself an ulcer! I did lose a pistion ring on NY turnpike once, it was like a James Bond movie......Blind them with the smoke screen! If I could and will do over again I would take the time to put a pancake in....my .02.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

Doh. yeah, that's what I meant.

Quote:

At one time you could buy one for $3k. Now he charges $5k which is a way of saying we don't want any stock engine business.

The one person I know with a stock Raby engine (stock except for some minor Raby mild improvements like adjustments to compression and the cam) melted the head because of an exhaust port leak. No matter what you spend you have to scrutinize the condition of the engine to get them to last.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say Jake's 5K and up engines are nowhere close to stock. And I'm not sure just how many end up in daily driver buses anyway.

I think his market is a much different crowd than we comprise on this board.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't so leery of replacement parts quality, I would love to become a stock engine rebuilder during the winter months. I cringe and get facial tics when I see some of the assembly quality out there. I have tremendous faith in these engines when they are correctly assembled, but look at the lifter situation, it would be too hard of a hit against my pride and investment to have a customer suffer a failure due to lousy parts.
When German parts were readily available, and the engines I was working on were only into their first or second overhaul, it was a pleasure.
Colin
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you basically saying the parts aren't good enough to build an engine for yourself? How many engines are you planning on building in a winter?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will rebuild my own engine when necessary. And of course I will help anyone in my travels rebuild their engines if and when necessary. I was only saying that my love of building engines has been tempered to such a degree that I will NOT make a habit of rebuilding engines in any dedicated formal contractual sort of way where I have to rely on vendors for a steady stream of parts that NONE of us can trust. I can handle watching my own rebuild flatten a lifter and send crap to the cooler, Ratwell, that's called Life, but if it was a customer calling me, a customer who paid me to do the job and who was not in it with me getting their hands dirty, and who just wanted a nice engine for the next 75,000 miles and is stranded in Calgary at 1,000 miles because of a metallurgical failure, I would be a lot more upset. I hate it when anyone puts their heart and soul in a project and it blows up due to indifference beyond their control or survey. Does that answer you?
Colin
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on your parts source(s)? I'm pretty sure you can still find german or a good quality lifter/camshafts?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: don't build an engine you're not confident of. I asked how many because if you were to build one or two over a winter you could find enough NOS parts on eBay to satisfy your requirements. I've never queried the dealer about lifter availability but that's a possibility also with ever depleting inventory.

I've been toying with the idea of building an engine or two for fun on a regular basis. I have a few sets of lifters (hydraulic only) but I couldn't sustain it so I'd opt for building a solid lifter engines using ceramics and charge $300 more.

I feel the profiteering is best left to the Raby's and AVP's out there. Given that building a stock engine from NOS quality parts is going to cost more than an AVP rebuild even considering that I wouldn't charge for my labor, I do it for the fun of it having a few signature stockers out there driving around.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't stock german solid lifters be re -radius ground and coated with Polydyne?

I've had it done to stock type 1 lifters...

Polymer Dynamics, Inc.
4116 Siegel St.
Houston, TX 77009
Phone (713) 694 - 3296 or
Toll Free 1-888-765-9396
Fax (713) 694 - 6915
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: