Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BFY Obsolete parts
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: BFY Obsolete parts Reply with quote

I just had a passenger side vent wing latch installed at BFY in Orange Ca. Cost $45 including the part. It took couple of hours to install everything after I got the part. After third time locking the vent wings, the latch broke. There wasn't even that much pressure on it. I found out from another vw parts store that the latch was probably Brazilian made.

I went back to BFY and sure enough it was Brazilian latch. My complaint is why sell a latch that is very low qualitity. BFY told me Wolfsburgwest latches were also available at the time of my purchase and they Knew that Wolfsburgwest latch was much better. If it was available why not offer it to the customer and explain that one product is much more superior and give the cusotmer the opportunity to decide on the product. Its only $5-6 dollar more.

I took the bad latch back and they offered to replace the latch. Well thats nice but what about the hours of labor taking it out and installing it again. Why not just sell the good parts from the beggining or inform the customer like every other reputable vw parts place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most part I've had good experiences at BFY and the guys there are friendly. At wolfsburgwest I found out that they flat out does not like selling the Brazillian latches. Because they break. I wouldn't be so mad if BFY people didn't know that, but they did. I wish they would've mentioned and offerd the better item.

If you ever need vent latches DO NOT BUY BRAZILLIAN unless you like installing vent windows and latches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i called BFY the other day to see if they sold the better truck door panels that resist warping. (WW was out of them until january). the guy i talked to said he had never heard of bus door panels warping. huh? they've been warping since day one, i told him. i suggested that he must not have been into vws for very long, and after a long pause, he informed me that he certainly had been, and hung up on me. my previous purchases in person and by mail went fine. must have got the resident dickhead instead of the owner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I talked to the guys at Bfy today and they said they would re-press them again at no charge. They were pretty cool about the whole thing. I'm satisfied the way they handled everything.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it was available why not offer it to the customer and explain that one product is much more superior and give the cusotmer the opportunity to decide on the product.

do you or have you ever worked at a retail counter, especially at an auto parts place? it takes time to show and explain the differences between multiple options. not that this is a problem, but it is true. sometimes the customer doesn't have the time to hear them, other times the place me be so packed that the salesman may not have the time to do a thorough job.
to be honest with you, when i sold parts at a VW shop, about 90% of the time if the customer was given a choice between a better quality part at a greater cost, the person would chose the cheaper part and then complain about it later, rather than spending money on the better part to begin with.
i understand where you're coming from though. would you have ponied up the extra money initally? just curious.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gene Berg used to say "Buy the best, cry once" Or something to that effect
BFY Obsolete Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to John’s thread, we acknowledge his individual calls yesterday apologising to Julian, Bob & Andy yesterday, but we are disappointed to note that in the absence of the owner of BFY , Darren who is away on vacation, John posted this thread when we recommended him to speak to Darren when he is back from vacation. John was advised that if he has a greivance, to speak to Darren first as he would appreciate someone being straight with him, even Robert who was present at the time (who is a very good customer of BFY’s) and who is currently preparing John’s cars for sale, also stated that John should speak to Darren and John agreed to do this.

Unfortunately, we now have a thread criticising BFY with the owner away with no means to respond, when all we were dealing with is the replacement of a $8.00 that broke (things do break) and in 15 years of fitting the same $8.00 lock, this is the third instance that we have had one break. But unfortunately, before we could offer to take the vent window back and replace the broken lock, we were dealt with accusations in the store of selling inferior goods and that ‘we sucked’ for not providing advice. Infact, John has been provided with numerous free advice over the months with regard to the cars that he has for sale, and we have gone out of our way to help him even if he hasn’t bought any products from us. With regard to the vent window, John urgently brought us a vent window to fit a new lock to on a Saturday, and even though we have no facilities for service work on a Saturday as the store is always super busy with walk in customers, Bob removed his vent window glass, removed the original broken lock, fitted a new lock, pressed in the glass with a new frame seal, all of which was carried out after the store had closed at 4pm and in Bob’s private time and at 5.30 pm Bob personally delivered the completed window to John at his workshop. Now how many VW stores would do that for you, we pride ourself in knowing what we sell, because we fit it to our restorations and to our own cars. You can buy a part elsewhere, but can the store tell you how to fit it and provide back up once you’ve installed it, we get occassions where we get calls from people who need advice on how to fit a part that wasn’t purchased at BFY, but they ask us for help because the store they bought it from won’t provide any follow up service.

As for the comment from the reply about bus door panels from the John Walker Workshop, I am sure you wouldn’t want us to refer to you as the ‘name’ you called one of the staff , but we do not have a problem with panels warping, we are based in sunny California. To prevent panels from warping if you live in an area prone to rain or moist climate, fit a plastic membrane (as VW did and still do) between the panel and the door, this will ensure longevity of the panel. This advice is from the ****heads who have worked on VW’s for a combined total of 40 years, owned a combined amount of 80 cars and restored 100's more through our work.

There are proper ways to deal with a problem rather than spread your thoughts in the heat of the moment over the internet, but we were not given the chance to sort it all out free of charge at the time John came into the store. John, we still strongly recommend that you speak to Darren on his return next week, we are sure he would interested to know about what has been said about his company.

In the meantime, we will continue to offer our knowledge, support and service to every VW enthusiast, resto shop & parts stores worlwide, come visit our store in Orange, California, visit our website at www.bfyobsoleteparts.com or call us on 800-789-0900. We ship Worldwide daily.

Happy Christmas from everyone at BFY.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a rant at BFY as I believe the explantion that they posted. I too replaced a vent latch a few years ago and door panels but both items were from another vendor and the results were the same. Latch broke in about a week and panels became wavy within a year with the p;astic installed. Most of the reproduction stuff I have dealt with is not worth much and usually ends up costing twice as much because of premature failures. This is a lesson that everyone that has dealt with VWs for very long learns sooner or later. Have you ever wondered why the NOS and used german parts on the Samba are priced at what they are? NOS at twice the price is cheap if you ask me if I do not have to tear something apart 2 or 3 times to rplace some $8.00 part. Ask before you buy. What is the source of this part? That is the world we live in. My 2 cents!
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so now you agree that bus panels warp. the guy on the phone said he never heard of them warping, hence my question about how long he had been working on vws. i was never rude to him, other than to ask the above question, which was more tongue in cheek than rude, but he hung up on me for it, which WAS rude. sure makes me want to buy from you again. (sarcasm).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not start this forum to knock or say anything negative but I just don't want anyone to go through what I went through. (1-3 hour of unnecessary labor and headache)

Bfy they do a good job for the most part. Just sell the good part if customer doesn't ask. If they ask for a cheaper part then offer the cheaper part and warn them. Not the other way around.

I found out that Wolfsburgwest makes their own latches because these cheap latches break all the time. If the Brazillian latches work so good then why do BFY carry wolfsburgwest latches.

When I went back to Bfy I was venting and who wouldn't, who likes installing vent windows. One of the guys attitude was not good. He said some unkind things ans I did the same. The next day I called and apologized for giving some attitude.

Why not avoid all this next time and just sell some GOOOD LATCHES like wolfsburgwest.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i understand where you're coming from though. would you have ponied up the extra money initally? just curious.

I'm sure I would've bought the better part.
Advocate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazetguy brought up a great point about the number of customers who opt for the cheaper part, which is easily the majority. A lot of parts houses will run through a couple dozen of a repro piece before a customer actually opts for the more expensive OEM part. I'm speaking from experience here. For a couple reasons you shouldn't dog the salesguy for not mentioning that you have a choice. When you run a busy parts counter, you don't always have time to walk through all options on all parts with every customer. If you don't tend to like Brazilian repro parts, then ASK the parts guy for the best quality piece up front...it'll save both you and him time and aggravation. The "Just sell the good part if customer doesn't ask" suggestion is pretty silly, as I stated above, most customers decline the better quality parts because of the price difference. Anyone who's done parts sales can tell you this.
ACSwede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the opinions raised above...that is; if options are not presented up front/right away then ask...in most cases the options available are presented!

If you ask me this thread is completely off! - How in the world can a Brazilian aftermarket part compare with a NOS part or a part from a premium quality manufacturer?!

The bottom line (my opinion); No shadow should fall on guys like Darren, Bob and Andy (BFY crew) for someone being disappointed in the quality of an aftermarket part - The BFY crew is one of few left supporting our hobby in a customer friendly, honest and competent way!

PLEASE RENAME THREAD TO "BRAZILIAN AFTERMARKET PARTS SUCK"

(BTW: I have no kick backs @ BFY Very Happy ...I'm simply a happy customer of theirs Very Happy )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have dealt with BFY.
They have went out of their way to help me with my unique 73 super sunroof. The seal I wanted was out of stock and they sent me to Wolfburg West to get the part, their competitor.
Great guys, as the other companies say they don't know of anyone else who sells the part I need BFY refers me to one that does.
Great job BFY!
You just can't please everyone.
Don't sweat it Smile
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bummer when shit happens like this. I am also a satisfied customer of BFY and cannot say enough good things about them and their service to the shrinking VW community. I usually deal with Darren and have only been treated with the utmost courtesy and respect. They aren't out to jack with anyone, they have been in the industry a long time and imo are at the top when it comes the customer. Actually I can't figure out how they keep such good attitudes when 90% of the callers are already"experts"! Wink
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFY is great!!!!! I have not bought much from them in the last year but i sure have called and talked to Andy alot. He is the best, helps me out alot. I was selling a car and was unsure about what i should ask so i called the pros and Andy listened to me for about 10 min "talking about the car" then he asked a few ?. After about 20 min on the phone he gave me his thoughts on a price. All this just to help me out. I still owe him lunch. Thanks BFY for all the help. When i do get around to restoring my car ill be there alot. Jason
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally would not be so forgiving. BFY knew what they were choosing to sell. and the only reason for selling crap is to try to beat the competition pricewise, not because you believe in the item. previous to reading this thread i too had done business with BFY and had respect for them. but especially after reading their post i have no respect for the person who wrote the post:

Quote:
Unfortunately, we now have a thread criticising BFY with the owner away with no means to respond, when all we were dealing with is the replacement of a $8.00 that broke (things do break)

saying "things do break" is an old salesmans trick, most often used as a way to lower the customers expectations. its right up there with "we havent had any complaints from our other customers about this item".

if BFY had replaced the item AND apologized for not knowing that the item wasnt well made, the company would still have my respect. instead it sounds like they are trying to defend their choice to sell this item! WTF
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
i personally would not be so forgiving. BFY knew what they were choosing to sell. and the only reason for selling crap is to try to beat the competition pricewise, not because you believe in the item. previous to reading this thread i too had done business with BFY and had respect for them. but especially after reading their post i have no respect for the person who wrote the post:

Quote:
Unfortunately, we now have a thread criticising BFY with the owner away with no means to respond, when all we were dealing with is the replacement of a $8.00 that broke (things do break)

saying "things do break" is an old salesmans trick, most often used as a way to lower the customers expectations. its right up there with "we havent had any complaints from our other customers about this item".

if BFY had replaced the item AND apologized for not knowing that the item wasnt well made, the company would still have my respect. instead it sounds like they are trying to defend their choice to sell this item! WTF
IMO they should make the offer to sale the good and the bad just so the buyer would be informed. Its sad but they do have to sale the junk because most people are to cheap to pay for the nicer part. Hell i have bought the cheaper 1 a few times "because i was selling the car or i just needed it and that was all they had" most of the time it was fine. In the end they are there to make $$ and they would make less if they didnt offer the same shitty low budget parts as the rest.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i would be satisfied that they had done their best if they did offer both cheap and expensive wing locks, but there is no excuse for the "things do break" comment. by the time you are 46 you will be as sick as i am of hearing that obvious con-job. also, if we think of maximized profits as the center of the universe, we are all more likely to be goin to hell in a handbasket. not necessarily a fact , just my hardass opinion!

by comparison you could take a look at wolfsbrg west or gene berg. they never starved to death just cuz they refuse to sell crappy stuff(when they have a choice between crap and better)
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few ours of your time you want back, huh? what about the years of experience these guys provide?

it requires a certain level of maturity that seems to be missing here to talk to the owner. most companies wont let you near the owner.

people are all to trigger happy these days to get on the internet and put someone on blast. latch broke? we've all had it happen. go fix it.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: