Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build a 1776?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Build a 1776? Reply with quote

Lets pretend that I find the money in the next year to build a 1776 for my Thing. Can anyone imagine that???
I want advice on what case, what counterbalanced crank, what cam, what heads, what carbs (what are baby Delortoes (??sp??), what jugs and pistons, valve assemblies, what exhaust???? ASIDE FROM DIRECTION I WANT TO KNOW: FROM WHOM I SHOULD BUY THE PARTS. I can put the engine together, I just need to know what to buy and from whom. I am in SC and can't just pop over to the local supplier. It all has to be shipped.I know that many of you have done this, I need your advice and help. thanks and Merry Christmas. Bill
ft_irwin_73baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have your answer but i can make a suggestion for you, there are lots of guys here in socal that build those engines in small shops and are pretty good for asking questions. look around in the high performance parts for sale and you will find their ads, send them a message and see what they have to say.

if that fails you i can give you the contact info for the guy who built my 1835 (just need to dig it up) and you can bounce a few questions off him.

by the way, i see you are in south carolina.......man do i miss the south!
i moved out here to the damn mojave desert (socal) from the savannah ga area and man do i miss the cheap gas, good beer (micro brew on bay st.)
and people with decent freaking manners.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the engine forum. However, I asked a few questions about stock engines on it and got horrible answers. Most parts suppiers carry the same stuff, just slightly different prices. I've had great luck with aircooled.net, as far as finding high quality and explanations. Get on the thing thread at topica.com, Those guy's are building big engines for their things and love to answer questions. You would fit in like a hand in a glove.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on the aircooled.net recommendation.
as far as actual build is concerned, i am kinda perverse- i like the idea of building a 1776, but i'd use single port heads, and kads.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! You all have helped me in the past, and I greatly value your advice. POUR IT ON! I will follow up on your thoughts.....this project may take a year or more....whatever Very Happy Merry Christmas to you and your family. The old guy Smile
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the Thing fan housing "Thing specific?" And If I buy a new case, how can I know that "Thing" parts will mount...like the under engine skid plate and grate? AM case? Where? Magneseum or Alumnnum.The more I learn, the less I seem to know Confused
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend buying a "kit motor" from an excellent company. I can recommend a Santee CA company: www.thebugpatch.com . They will ship you an a new AS41 mag case that has been checked for alignment, full flowed for an oil filter and welded at #3 & #1 exterior "web" to reduce flexing at high rpms. Their kits include 1776cc and are complete "bottom end" or short blocks with Mahle pistons/cylinders, reground German crank, cam of choice, etc. all balanced. They will also sell you heads that they cnc port & polish (their specialty). That allows you to get the basics done right and balanced, then, you add the top components that you select, manifolds, carbs, alt, pulleys, exhaust, etc.

Having driven my Thing on and off road (mostly on) with the stock motor at 50 hp and with the 1915cc motor at 130hp, I can tell you that the car should have come with a least 100hp due to its weight and aerodynamics (or lack thereof). It gets going fast enough in traffic and performs like a normal car with the 1915cc. This high performance motor does not make it want to drag race V8's. Far from it. I would like to drive a thing with a stroker motor or one with the type 4 because the Thing is much more fun and useful when it zips instead of chugs along. Just my thoughts.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock engine is part of the Thing's character. A fast Thing is like a fast girl; Fun to ride, but a whore nonetheless.
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Luni wrote:
The stock engine is part of the Thing's character. A fast Thing is like a fast girl; Fun to ride, but a whore nonetheless.

Bad analogy. Girls that fuck good and like it are the ones that you want to spend "quality" time with.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure where this thread is headed now, but we seem to be moving toward my most favorite topic. Wink
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I've banged some filthy whores in my day; but The Thing is a keeper- the kind of ride you bring home to Mama. I've gone through all kinds of cars, had my fun, and gone on to the next one- but I always come home to The Thing.

181 Foe Life
-Big Luni
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: