Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non-pop up Campers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Non-pop up Campers Reply with quote

There is a mid 70's Bus with Florida plates sitting next to a garage in my town, that has been there since at least last winter, probably a little longer. It is a Camper, but with a hard top. The owner, and old guy in his 80s, said it has been everywhere from Mexico to the Yukon. I didn't get to look inside, as the entire thing was covered in ice due to our wonderful weather. He has had around 10 VWs and knows his stuff, and even has a lift installed in his garage. It has a rebuilt engine with about 50-100 miles on it, but he parked it due to a problem with the heads. He explained that he got his moneys worth out of it and the Bus owes him nothing, and that he would only sell to someone who knew how to work on them and wouldn't hate him if something went wrong Razz .

So what company made these hard-top campers? The body was really strait, nose and underside included, and the interior was even nice, although I only saw the front area. It had the accessory side steps, and what appeared to be an aftermarket rack. It's white, and the front uphostery is tan. I'm usually more into Beetles, but this one has me interested, especially since he would probably sell it cheap. Being able to go anywhere and camp is something I would enjoy. Cool
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising. Think you can get it for a good price? Snatch it up. Go through it and take it camping. These thing like to be driven, not sittin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dingo
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a '77 hard-top with full Westy interior. It was all as is from the factory. Its a great streamlined combo for travelling/camping and easy to pull over anywhere and sleep, if need be. From my point of view, for sleeping one or two, its the preferrable set-up. Pop-top does have its advantages, but the old hard-top was definately unique.
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '71 hardtop westy and love it much more than my previous poptop westies. Less parts to break, leak, or fly off in heavy winds. Plus it stays warmer when winter camping.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that, but hayduke just said what I wuz gonna say.

I, too, have a '71 hardtop camper and they are the best of the breed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing no such thing as headroom...

What kind of headroom is there anyway? Distance from floor to underside of roof...

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for headroom without the poptop, there are a couple different highroof campers...Safare being my personal favorite...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I have WAY to many cars, I keep thinking about this one. It's cool that it has so much history behind it, I'd love to be the one to keep it going. I've thought about buying it, fixing it and using it for the summer and selling it, but that would never work considering how attached I become to these cars Sad
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it and fix it. Then decide if you should sell it or one of your other cars.
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are called Wesfaila Weekenders, I have a 69'. You can't walk around inside, but next to tent camping, it's pure luxury. I like it! No canvas to replace either....it just looks more streamlined to me.
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to come back when it's warmer. The old guy was nice enough to come outside in the 20 degree snowy weather and show it to me, so I didn't want to press my luck Cool If I don't get it, I'll pass it along on here to someone who would give it a good home.
J Kirkindoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a Sundial. I have a 70 and my wife has a 65 (his and and her's busses Very Happy ). Both are Sundials. My 70 has a nameplate on the passenger side below the door.

Jeremy
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '69 is like that but homemade by a PO. They really did a good job. I don't care that we can't stand up in it. If we were out a week I'd pack a tent big enough to stand in and set up beside it. Otherwise, we're either laying down or sitting while on board anyway.
I bet you'll like having a bus.
When time and parking space induced me to choose, I sold my '64 Beetle, (which was prettier and in better overall condition) because I love that camper-bus so much.
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I'm in my bus whilst camping is sleepy time, all the rest of the time I'm outdoors. Even in the rain, just string up a tarp to a tree, happy trails! That table is just about worthless, unless yer alone. The icebox is nice, good capacity too. That sink pump is really awkward, I've found it easier to just wash dishes in a bucket of river water, toss the dirty water in the weeds.
I'm amazed how much the bus is like a jeep, it really goes thru some places that a car wouldn't make it, due to gearing and ground clearance. I can't imagine taking any other 36 year old vehicle to the end of the earth.
I just got a 74' westy for my friend, and I must admit, the camper is a HUGE improvement from my 69'. Full length bed, another one up top, no side cabinet, no squeaky plastic seats, etc. But "Ma" has been good to me, plus I dig the vintage simplictiy. Camping should be about nature, not the gizmos. To me at least.
I've been putting on about 6k miles a summer, just Oregon camping. Keep it well tuned, fresh fluids, hasn't let me down yet. And, we took our month and 1/2 old baby wilderness camping for the first time this July! The cycle continues.
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hambone wrote:
I'm amazed how much the bus is like a jeep, it really goes thru some places that a car wouldn't make it, due to gearing and ground clearance. I can't imagine taking any other 36 year old vehicle to the end of the earth.

Oh yeah...last summer crawling up some ruts that used to be sort of a trail, at about a 20% grade, I remember reasuring the wife, "Relax, it's old, but it's still a Volkswagen!"
I need a bumper sticker that reads, "More ground clearnace than your $40,000 SUV" Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: