Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing tinware issues
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david.flack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

I purchased an1800 cc motor online and it came with extractors and big exhaust, not the usual heat exchanger pipes. The engine has, what appears to be, most of the upper tinware and seals but not the large, under the cylinders, sheets. I am reluctant to run the engine till I seek advice or make some new pieces as I understand how critical the cooling is. My question is.... would you run this engine as in the photos or would you try to form up some sheetmetal from the sump to the edge of the heads? Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance. David in Aust.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

The underside pieces mostly protect the pushrod tubes from damage but they also help funnel hot air toward the back and away from the engine. The heater boxes also complete that funneling affect, so I would imagine without heater boxes that function is wiped out with stock sleds. Bare minimum it would be good to have something there to protect the tubes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

I think he's asking about the missing square tins under the cylinders and above the pushrod tubes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

Not from my engine.....but does show the air deflector plates
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I think he's asking about the missing square tins under the cylinders and above the pushrod tubes.

I thought he was referring to the sleds but now I see someone forgot to install the deflectors on the cylinders! Sure fire way to burn up an engine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

Just hope someone didn't install them on the top!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

try to replace as much of the tin as possible.
with this exhaust it is very hard to organise sleds (to guide the air out the back)
because the exhaust is so close to the block. I don't think industrial tins will work either. Also there is no thermostat or flaps in the fan housing which both contribute to the cooling and the life of the engine.
I would consider getting a 1 1/2" inch heater box exhaust system so you can put every thing back underneath. Also think about a deep sump, as a performance engine is likely to drain the factory sump more quickly and lead to oil starvation.
good luck with the new engine.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Just hope someone didn't install them on the top!

^^^^^^^
THIS

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
david.flack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing tinware issues Reply with quote

Thanks people. You have pointed out a couple of things I hadn't seen. Ill do some more research and try to make up/fit deflected plates (number 5) and skids (No. 9 and 6/10). As well as thermostat and flaps. (Also check that deflector plates weren't fitted to the top!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: