Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
ROTFL!! Laughing I needed that, thanks Evil_fiz.

Ok... If you must know, I'm sure anyone who has installed one of these sway bars can attest, I only had enough strength in my hand for one side

Nope, there are upsides to habitual self stimulation, I could put a dozen of those things on. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Decided to go back to air ride after finding a used Accuair E-Level management system for half the price of MSRP. Bought a VIAIR 20008 and surprisingly, it fits in the spare tire well... So, I think I will go ahead and do a custom install there. Going back and forth with which rear bag system to go with. Either JJVintage, or Airkewld (my previous suspension builder won't return my texts).

Anyone here install JJVintage air shock setup??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I know this has been covered, but nothing I see helps me.

Stock 69 Ghia.
Stock 15" rims.
165R15 Cooper Sportmaster GLTs.

Can I run 2.5" drop spindles without a narrowed beam? What about with just a thinner tire?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

My 72 has 165/80-15's on stock rims with 2.5" lowered spindles and it rubs terribly with 1 rotation of the steering wheel and won't drive it tell I switch to 4.5" Fuchs with a smaller tire
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:

Stock 69 Ghia.
Stock 15" rims.

Can I run 2.5" drop spindles without a narrowed beam? What about with just a thinner tire?

Thanks

My experience: Stock '68 with 165/80/R15 tyres no rubbing until I put 2.5" drp spindles on. I then put adjusters in the beam and went for smaller tyres - 165/65/R15. No rubbing now.

Based on my experience, I would say you are going to have rubbing issues even with narrower tyres. Thus either narrowed beam or adjusters to solve the problem.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

After working for 20 minutes on a post that was deleted before I could click submit... I've decided to simply post the fruits of my labor here. 2 inch narrowed (adjustable, but using through rods), stock spindles and short axles conversion in the rear. Front air ride using Accuair E-Level. I plan on bagging the rear too. Perhaps using the shocks I posted above.

Last edited by xzener on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Looks great! And those headlights are wild.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:

Stock 69 Ghia.
Stock 15" rims.

Thanks

From my experience with my Ghia:
Drop Spindles push the hub out 3/8 to 1/2 inch each side depending on who made them welded or not. Back in the day we used dropped spindles and 135SR15 tires with stock rims. Not a very meaty look but didn’t rub. You could still use 165SR15 on the rear though if the car has been hit or reworked there’s no telling.
Since I was kafer barring, ball jointing and bushing doing I was able to test fit my current set up and move the wheels and tires through their full motion.
I ended up with 15x5.5 wheels with 5” backspace. 195/50/15 in the rear, 195/45/15 in the front. 70 IRS with ball joint front
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Who can lower my car in SoCal? Reputable shop? I want to go adjustable, just to level the car and get rid of the 'speedboat' look.

Suggestions?
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Why not do it yourself? Minus the narrowing of the beam... That requires some welding. Which is a dying profession, but seems as though it may bounce back thanks to you know who. But for what it's worth, with basic tools, it's not very difficult to do.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I'd like to lower it 1 1/2"

Not dumped, but level. I'm running wide whites 5.60 - 15

No rubbing issues.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I know 914 Porsche suspensions like the back of my hand, but I'm not yet up to speed on VWs.
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Are you in OC? I have a buddy who does beams in the OC area.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Looking around and very hard to find the info I need

We have a 74 Ghia put dropped spindles on it. Tires rub, have 145's and don't want to go any smaller so narrowed beam it is. Bentley manual states must cut bumper tubes to get front beam out of car. Question --How much needs to be removed? Do tubes really have to be welded back when new beam installed?

Thanks,
Chuck 67
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

You don’t need to cut anything to remove the front beam. It’s really just a few bolts and it basically falls on your face.
Narrowing the front is a lot more the just the beam. You need narrower springs, sway bar and tie rods too.
I too put drop spindles and Kleber 145’s on my Ghia (1970) and had a rub too.
I put my stock spindles back in.
Fast forward, I bought new wheels (15x5.5) with a 5 inch offset and skinned the fronts with 195/45/15 tires and put the drop spindles back on.
Since I was redoing the ball joints and such anyway I assembled everything without the torsion springs and moved the wheel through its range of motion and no rub.
The same wheels with 195/50/15 are in the rear and they don’t rub either.
This story has been shortened for context.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

And, unfortunately, no 2 Ghia's are the same. Its a matter of form fit and function... Trial and error... it can be rather expensive. I have a 2 inch narrowed beam, stock spindles, and 205/45/17s. It will rub... But have air ride. I can easily lift the car to clear the fenders when driving up and into the driveway. Good luck with the beam. Don't let it fall on your face. Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Yup, I heard of a lot of trial and error happening. This is actually the third tire and wheel combo on this car. I consider myself lucky that this combo worked out at all. I still haven't seen it on the ground so I can't say if I'll like it or not. I'm concerned the front wheels will look too small. Oh well. I better like them. I already custom painted them!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Pictures?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Yup, I heard of a lot of trial and error happening. This is actually the third tire and wheel combo on this car. I consider myself lucky that this combo worked out at all. I still haven't seen it on the ground so I can't say if I'll like it or not. I'm concerned the front wheels will look too small. Oh well. I better like them. I already custom painted them!

I'd encourage you to swap out the blue urethane steering Rag joint for a standard VW rubber version. The urethane have a tendency to split/break.

Bryan
Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
You don’t need to cut anything to remove the front beam. It’s really just a few bolts and it basically falls on your face.

Unfortunately not true. To get the beam out of my 74 ghia I had to cut about 2 inches off of the collapsible front bumper tubes. Only took a few minutes with the ole sawzall but it had to be done to get the beam off of the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: