Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Pictures?

It’s still on the lift. I have to bleed the brakes, run the new fuel line and install the fuel pump. Then I have to verify all the electrics, put the gas tank back in and reinstall the stereo.
Then I get to build the engine and get that installed.
Then I can put it on the ground and find out where I screwed up.
I can’t wait.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Received my custom rear air ride kit from JJ Vintage today. Sent some of the pieces to my powder coater. Will post pictures of the Ghia after installation... She's gonna lay on the ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before...

After...

Last edited by xzener on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Don't be fraudulent, the second picture doesn't look anything like the first.
... some people Laughing

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Where did you get the rear airbag/shocks? and how much? I looked up JJ vintage and didn't get anything good information.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Look up Airthed on Facebook... He has all the answers you're after.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
After...

After Video uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnt7xBqrN8

Laughing

bryan
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Wow. Very appropriate. Thanks. Confused
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

While those look cool & will raise & lower the car, the upper shock mounts weren't designed to support the weight of the car. You're likely to run into issues with the shock mount breaking.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Received my custom rear air ride kit from JJ Vintage today. Sent some of the pieces to my powder coater. Will post pictures of the Ghia after installation... She's gonna lay on the ground.

Before...

After...

Added the new after picture. Cool
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
After...

Added the new after picture. Cool

Now that's "Barry White" low.
That is one of my favorite Ghias (and I'm not into lowered cars.)

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Hi all I’ve just bought my first KG, 71 which has been lowered by the previous owner.
Up front are empi drop spindles, problem is I have very little (about 1”) suspension movement up front giving a hard ride. I thought that one of the benefits of drop spindles was that it doesn’t adversely affect suspension travel and maintains stock suspension performance. Any suggestions what could be happening?
Thanks

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

- you don't have to post the question twice.

bryan
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
- you don't have to post the question twice.

bryan

It's OK the other one is locked...carry on here.Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, any guidance on the suspension question?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

neon_guru wrote:
Thanks for your reply, any guidance on the suspension question?

More details required - are you running an adjustable front beam? Balljoints bound up?

Bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Balljoints bound up?

Including improperly installed balljoints?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

There are no adjusters in the beam but I don’t know about the shocks. If lowering on drop spindles do you need shorter shocks?
You are right about the wheel arch clearance. The tyres don’t hit on full lock when stationary but I can see where they have with a it of bouncy.
From reading the forum it would seem that for drop spindles to work well the beam needs to be cut. How do I find out if my beam is stock or cut?
Thanks for your help this is all very new to me although I’m really excited about learning
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

I've had a '71 and currently a '70 which are essentially the same in this regard.
I bought CB dropped spindles back in '01 and the tires rubbed with a stock beam American Racing 15X5.5 Rivieras with 4.5" backspace and 195/50 tires. Thought I'd get stock chrome smoothies with Kleber 145's to solve the issue but no. The chrome wheels had 3.5" backspace so the outside of the tire sat in essentially the same place.
Fast forward to today and I have 15X5.5 Gasburners with 5" backspace with 195/50 on the rear and 195/45 in the front.
Long story short, every Ghia is different but I searched for a combination that would work with a stock beam and I accomplished that. I don't really like the look of a narrow beam.

In your case, you can get away with what you have but cross speed bumps and curbs straight and slow or you'll end up curling a wheel well.
Your beam is probably stock by just looking at the photo. In all my years, I haven't seen a narrowed beam that didn't have adjusters as well.

Lowered spindles were made so the suspension geometry doesn't change so you don't need different shocks or sway bar.

When a beam is narrowed you have to match the tie rods and sway bar as well. Somewhere back in the day 2" was decided as the defacto standard though there are outfits that offer 4" or even 6" narrower beams. I've often thought there should be a 1" option just for us guys that want to use stock rims but just want that little drop.

As far as the suspension being stiff, incorrectly installed ball joints could be a factor. These old VW ball joints are unique now days as there is a definite travel alley so to speak. Todays ball joints are omni directional so the orientation doesn't matter. As I was refreshing my '70 I had a shop press in my new ball joints. Even though I told them how the notch was supposed to line up they still did it wrong and they had to re-do them. I made them buy new ball joints as you really don't want to press them in twice as the little fingers or whatever they're really called that grip the control arm socket wear away. Ball joints are fairly cheap though.

Keep in mind though that there isn't really any mass in the front of a Ghia so unless your standing on it, it will be very difficult to bounce. Also if the ball joints are new they might just still be stiff. In my case, with new ball joints, I can put it on the ground from being jacked up and I can compress the suspension but once it has sat down, there is very little bounce.

Ball joints will have a notch that you can visually see. These need to line up parallel with the body as they sit in the arm.

I wish I could find a proper photo. This shows them incorrectly installed.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses all very helpful. I don’t want to do anything with the beam if I don’t have to and actually I would rather raise it up again if it’s going to be trouble. Is it possible to get spindles with different drops on them? So maybe in could go for a 1.5” drop rather than 2.5” or are they all the same?
I would like to change the wheels at some point but I guess that’s a whole new topic.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock Reply with quote

The spindles have nothing to do with your rough ride, they are designed lower the front but retain the original suspension travel.

Limited suspension travel is caused by an adjustable beam that's set too low, shocks that are bottoming out, ball joints that are incorrectly clocked, or, it's possible that someone removed leaves out of the spring packs to achieve "the look".

Drop spindles tend to widen the track width by 1/2" to 1" per side, or one to two inches total. This is the reason for narrowing the beam, to correct this increase in track width that usually results in tire/fender interference. In addition to this increase in track width, different width/backspace wheels will push the tire out even further, thus the reason for even narrower beams.

Drop spindles are only available in the 2.5" drop.

You need to ascertain what combination you have, look for adjusters in the front beam (Post pictures of the center of the upper & lower tubes of the front beam.). Post pics of the ball joint orientation. Post pics of your spindles.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: