Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 2l in my Westy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Vanagon 2l in my Westy Reply with quote

I just bought a '75 Westy. The PO stuffed an 82 Vanagon motor in it, as the original (?) 1800 was cooked. Of course he threw the old motor on the dump Crying or Very sad
According to him, there are "only a couple" differences between the Vanagon 2.0 and the bus 2.0. He "adjusted" the sheet metal and it looks like s#*t in there now, not to mention the fact that there is no seal around the engine anymore, which is much less of an issue in 10 degree Maine right now than it will be in a few months.
My question: Is there any way to make this nice-running, powerful engine work, or should I just bag it and look for a new "bus" 2 liter or the original 1800 block? Has anyone seen a Vanagon engine in a bus actually done tastefully?
Advice? Comments?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 2l in my Westy Reply with quote

penthink wrote:
not to mention the fact that there is no seal around the engine anymore, which is much less of an issue in 10 degree Maine right now than it will be in a few months.

Except the air filter will get dirty a lot quicker.

Quote:
My question: Is there any way to make this nice-running, powerful engine work, or should I just bag it and look for a new "bus" 2 liter or the original 1800 block? Has anyone seen a Vanagon engine in a bus actually done tastefully?

You just need the bus tin. Do you have a local VW junkyard?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vanagon block in my 79 westy for a while. Nearly a direct drop in, and quite easy to do "tastefully" (assuming you have all the bay window bits needed).

I'm not sure what/how your vanagon block is installed, but to use the air cooled Vanagon block, you will need to use:
-the bay window fan shroud, alternator and cooling tin
-the bay window heat exchangers (the 79 only ones).
-the bay window rear moustache bar
-the bay window rear engine mounts (the vanagon mounting holes in the case are bigger, so either drill out the bay window mounts or use an insert in the bolt holes)
-both or one of the dipsticks. (vanagon on top, bay out the back through the fan shroud) if you go with only one dipstick, you'll have to close up the other dipstick hole however you choose.
-the vanagon breather cap.

Even if you get a new 1800, you'll still need the tinware. Personally, I'd just buy the baywindow bits you need and run the vanagon motor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks guys. You have just made my day. i was thinking this was a bad hack job. The engine really does run well, but it looks all goofy with everything kind of half baked.

Don't worry Ratwell. I won't be running her around without an engine seal. I wouldn't do that to my baby. Very Happy

Thanks again.
Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: