Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drag Racing and a 36hp unlimited class
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

becuase 25,36 and 40hp engines are totally different. that makes no sense.
Howard Sanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes sense is 25hp vs25hp 36hpvs36hp 40hpvs40hp then when after they run head to head for times,brake them down into og modifided or just fast? A VINTAGE CLASS not by year of car but the motor has to be vintage ...;more cars more fun. Shocked
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no ...you can build everything what the rule allowed...the rules a made to make that class very interesting.
but with 40 hp there you can use everything whats on the market...2,3l ....
Julio Iniguez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats where bracket racing comes into play.
Dee Berg races her 25hp split window in the powder puff class againt monster 2.0 litres and does very well. There just aren't enough 25hp&36hp owners that will run their cars to warant a class on it's own, even if there were, to run only the stockers by size against each other then on to a "Top Eliminator" would take to long on a race day with 200 other cars. To do that the vintage guy's would have to rent a track just for that purpose(not going to happen). Al Higdon(OMT) raced his Porsche 36hp based motor in T-3 class at Hot VWS Drag and placed 2nd I on the other hand didn't make it past the first round(lost by two thousandths of a second) but we still made our goal for the day. First race( oct/08 ) with the new stroker 36hp we did 11.5's @ 58 mph and our goal this time was to get into the 10's, the best time was 10.79 in the 1/8 mile and top speed was 62.89mph and were still dialling in the motor. I don't remember Al's times but they were in the 10.5's and I believe I saw a 66mph on the board. We were just as fast as some of the 1914cc out there, go figure? Al's is a 1720cc 36hp and mine a 1621cc 36hp and mine was dialed in two tenths of a second slower then my friends 1914cc. We had a lot of people
come to our pits because they had to see for themselves that they were 2ps case engines.

Just build em and run em guy's!! even if they are stock or mild modified, let's see a pit full of 2 pc case engines and bring home the class win or even "Top Eliminator" plus if you see on an above thread there is money(contact OMT)

Julio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommy-turtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Sanson wrote:
What makes sense is 25hp vs25hp 36hpvs36hp 40hpvs40hp then when after they run head to head for times,brake them down into og modifided or just fast? A VINTAGE CLASS not by year of car but the motor has to be vintage ...;more cars more fun. Shocked

But you have to remember some of us are doing this because they say "it can't be done". Also with a 40hp I can call JC Whitney still and get a a lot a parts and have it assembled in a week. Ask any of the people how long it has taken to get the correct combination 1. that will fit into a 2 pc case 2. the correct jets, carbs and linkage 3. How many times you go back and measure and measure and measure, and still have somthing wrong. 4. Where did they get cam and lifters from. 5. Who made their intake manifolds, 6. what are the trade secrets

Ask Julio, Al, Tom or any of the others, How long they have spent in the books or at the mill, lathe, grinder, and paperwork trying the correct combination. I bet most will say "I am doing this for me or for fun".

I mean vintage speed is not cheep for any car, I look at the guys that drive in line 6 Chevy's and don't sit there and say where is the V8. I ain't going to tell the guy that has a flat head to put a V12 motor in it. You Never would tell a early knucklehead bike owner to put and EVO motor in there. I will tell judson oners that a pepco is better. Razz It is a respect thing for our roots, is how I look at it and that is why I have spent time and time again with trial and error.

I am not knocking you because you want to do a 40hp class, the reason many of us are in here is because this topic was originally in the Oval forum. Now it is the vintage speed forum. With the 40 horse class any one can put bigger P&C, a cam and go fast, in a 40hp. This is not like fight club or the H.A.M.B. Rolling Eyes , ask away. But there is enough hate/fear in the world for 2 pc case motor( 25 36 Pre A) that some of us want to push the envelope. BUT I will say this, you want to do a bastard motor 38hp vintage speed motor I will shut up. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: 36 Horse Power Drag Racing Reply with quote

Hallo Alles,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to say a Big Thank You to all that have supported Me!
Julio Inguez, His Boys, and His Lovely Wife Katie. Danke sehr for Lunch and Drinks!
Brad and Tina, Jerry and Little Jerry, George Schmidt, Gary Larson and EMS for Cylinder Head work, Lester ( You're still here with that little motor?) for his constant "Badgering", the "Trick or Cheat" Crew for letting Me borrow Tools.
Da Nor Cal Boyz; Chris, Ray, Larry, Tom.
Don Marks , Harry Beiker.
Strictly Aircooled, DHK and DSSK.
Ed Economy, Thanx for the Comments; Rich Kimball, Thank You for letting Me Participate and Dyno Don; Thank You for Your "Colourful" Comments.

Thank You so much for Your Support.
Sincerely,
Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard Sanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: I ,m BUILDING A BASTARD $) HP Reply with quote

Its possible to build anything w/the right machine shop! I bougth a40hp counter weigthed crank w/ rod journals .1926 w/ .50 wider . BOB at demellos and his grinder both shooks there heads in wonder. It has caused me to go 69 c/w crank w 85.5 stroker special brazilian cylinder 40hps heads w/ a 5.4 H-beam rods a 120 camis going in ! Steve Tims is going to put 32mmx30mm seats and valves poss /porting? Ihave a OG 1964 bug w/ 1385 10 yrs w/ one top end freshed up. Icalled 5 of the top motor builder shops in CA 4 said anyhtings possibles 1 just argue . The one that agrued is the shop that im going to have the motor machined at ! A challenge is way funner then the run of the mill? Cool
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: 40hp Bastard Engine Reply with quote

Hallo Howard,
Russel at "Old Speed" and Mike Walter at "Griffin's" VW Machine Shop have been doing a lot of work on 40hp Engines. Griffin's Phone is: 562 531 4320.
Howard, this "Thread" is meant for "Conversation" about the 25/36hp Engines; also referred to as 2pc Case.
I think You will have better Luck getting Information about Your 40hp Engine by posting in the General "Vintage Speed Forum".
Sincerely,
Al
tommy-turtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard

What I meant by a bastard 40 horse was the 40hp motor that was in the early bus (59 I think) the forum that covers the bastard motor in detail is.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187275

And no one is making a hot rod out of those. I am not trying to run you off, I Just want to get you help for your project as 98% of the stuff for the 2pc case will not fit your 3pc case. All the power to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard Sanson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: vintage vs 36hp challenge Reply with quote

i have read thru this whole thread from the 2004 it seem it has come down to those who race vs those who bench or key talk . I will approach Rich kimball: to seeif a vintage fun run is possible and i have money to back this call it T6--25hp 36hp 40hp Pre-a who,s that more people more fun. AND the correct forum foris not this thread too many isssues Rolling Eyes
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howard,

This is getting "off topic" and while most appreciate what you're saying it seems a bit like entering the "Bay Window Bus" forum and asking them why they aren't all driving Vanagons.

If you'd like to post a topic, "Drag Racing and a 40hp unlimited class" you're quite at liberty to do so. I'm sure it will attract its followers.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Al!!!

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Al and Julio waiting there turn at drag day!!

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blacklineracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
we just want to let you all in on our little project. We will be racing in the DSS class this September out at Bonneville. Please feel free to frequently visit our website, http://blackline57.com Please contact us for more information. We are excited to be competing in this challenge and can't wait for September and the World of Speed.
blacklineracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you are having problems with the alignment on the website, try changing the font size in your page setup.
Thanks again to all of you who have visited the website so far.

Justin and Colton
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxton Update
Bruce Cook DSS new Record on first pass 99.8 mph on a 1493cc engine

Tom Bruch SSS new Record 90 mph and change on a 1415cc engine using stock carb and intake manifold.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
blacklineracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Bruce and team!! Now the bar has been raised. We are stoked that this is getting so big. We are excited to be competing against you this september out on the salt.
Justin and Colton
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: 100 Mile Per Hour Club Reply with quote

Just thought I would take a moment and let folks know fast 36hp racers (this includes you Al) going over 100 mph in the drags or land speed races will be automatically inducted into the new International 36hp Challenge "1" Club. It is our way of recognizing any 36hp racer who achieves this milestone speed in competition.

The "1" Club is all inclusive with the only guidelines being an engine based on a 36hp VW case and a four wheeled chassis. No head or stud restrictions, no displacement limits, any carb, fuel or intake system you can create.

Folks in the northeast will be glad to hear about a new land speed racing event to be held in Limestone, Maine, this August 1st and 2nd, just below the Canadian border. 1 1/2 miles of top speed acceleration. Go to www.landracing.com and look for the Lorin Racing Association link for information.

Keep your ear and eye tuned for coming information.

Until then, may the speed be with you...............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: 36 HP Land Speed Challenge Reply with quote

B&C Motors would like to thank all those that made the trip to Maxton, to see Tom Bruch and myself break the DSS and SSS records. We would also like to thank German Automotive in Fletcher NC { THE HEAD SHOP},
Mr. OKRASA in Anaheim, C.A., Country Classic Interiors in China Grove N.C., and The Carolina Panzer in Charlotte N.C. for without their help this would not have been possible. A special thanks goes out to www.freebornes.com for the kick off dinner on Thursday night. Until later, it's back to the drawing board for more speed. MAY THE SPEED BE WITH YOU!!
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: 36hp Challenge on New England-new race course Reply with quote

36hp Challenge in New England-new race track!

I am please to let you know a new land speed racing event located in the upper northeast in Limestone, Maine, just beside the Canadian border will present it's inaugural event on the weekend of August 1st and 2nd. Presented by the Loring Timing Association on the retired Loring Air Force Base, this great location will provide one and one half miles of top speed acceleration. All Volkswagens street cars, both air and water cooled, are welcome to race in the under 135 mile per hour Street classes. In particular, those folks following the 36hp Challenge will be glad to know all classes of 36hp engined VW bugs, buses and Ghias are welcomed and will run against ECTA records from the Maxton Mile in North Carolina and the official International 36hp Land Speed Racing Challenge record history.

For further information, go to: www.lta-lsr.com for Loring Timing Association specific information.

www.landracing.com for general LSR updates and links.

www.ecta-lst.com for East Coast Timing Association specific information

www.usfra.com for Bonneville USFRA specific information and

www.texasmile.net for Mid-America specific information

Please come out and spectate or participate in racing for top speed. For further information on the 36hp Challenge go to www.burlyb.com .

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 26

Jump to: