Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Is this crossmember repair panel:

https://store.concept1.ca/T2-Cross-Member-Front-73-79-%289556800%29-9556800/

Intended to be used as a sort of sleeve? I have one from PO that I have not installed, it's wider than the original and short enough to fit between the main frame rails and therefore slides right onto the original. This leads me to think that maybe this panel can be installed over the original without having to cut said original out first? I feel stupid asking this but I'm new to welding and restoring a VW bus and I can't find any info on why this cross member is different than, say, this one:

https://store.concept1.ca/T2-Cross-Member-Front-68-72-%289555800%29-9555800/

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Well for one they’re for different years. ‘68-‘72 vs ‘73-‘79. This may explain why you’re able to slip it over. I will suggest you don’t slip it over though, that’s a good way to make the bus rust out again.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Personally I would look for a better panel. Klokkerholm are a last resort IMO and weird fits wouldn't surprise me.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Odd that the lower one says 68-72, from here it looks to have the larger holes for the 73+ heater tubing.

That top one is for the lazy flipper, it goes hand in hand with the inner rockers with similar cutouts for quickly slipping over the rusty mess and making it look good enough to sell. If the upper part of your existing part is intact and you cut away most of what the new one covers it'll be better than nothing under there, but if you want it done right you'll have to drop the heater tubes and some of the cable tubes to get the full sized part in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

add the year of your bay to your avatar or sig line.
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Well for one they’re for different years. ‘68-‘72 vs ‘73-‘79. This may explain why you’re able to slip it over. I will suggest you don’t slip it over though, that’s a good way to make the bus rust out again.

I've taken that one as a rough example, but the website has both versions for the 68-72 models, that is a "slip over" one and a full one. Mine is a 73-79 for my 73 so it's not the wrong year
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
add the year of your bay to your avatar or sig line.

Done!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Odd that the lower one says 68-72, from here it looks to have the larger holes for the 73+ heater tubing.

That top one is for the lazy flipper, it goes hand in hand with the inner rockers with similar cutouts for quickly slipping over the rusty mess and making it look good enough to sell. If the upper part of your existing part is intact and you cut away most of what the new one covers it'll be better than nothing under there, but if you want it done right you'll have to drop the heater tubes and some of the cable tubes to get the full sized part in.

Sorry that was maybe not the best example, I've seen the same variant of panel for both variations of buses.

So what I'm taking away from what you're saying is that it does slip right over, awesome! I'll take the lazy flipper route Very Happy Hey, this is the same bus that's getting a Rustoleum paint job so it's good enough! In all seriousness though, the hole in the cross member is maybe a few inches across, I'd say 80% of the original panel is still intact, so I think this will do for now.

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Rustoleum??

Cue the BeArs!!

Seriously , good luck with your restoration
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Rustoleum??

Cue the BeArs!!

Thank you! Very Happy The paint job is actually going very well believe it or not!

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

If you slip that new crossmember over the old one moisture will get trapped between the two and they will both rust out in a very short time.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
If you slip that new crossmember over the old one moisture will get trapped between the two and they will both rust out in a very short time.

There actually isn't any visible rust, it's all black. Maybe a rust paint or undercoat? I'm not sure. I do agree with you fully so what I think I'll do is at least cut out the "diseased" part and then slip it over, also maybe shoot some Rustoleum or Fluid Film up in it while I'm at it to deal with any potential moisture. Like I said, the majority of the panel is fine so hopefully it will last. If anything I could cut the repair panel to only cover the part that rusted out, that might be smart too. (?)

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Rustoleum??

Cue the BeArs!!

Dammit, I miss Tim.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Rustoleum??

Cue the BeArs!!

Dammit, I miss Tim.

Remind me, who is TIM? and what became of him?
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

P24p1 to bring out the haters here is my experience.
About 15 yrs ago I purchased a rust free 78 Canadian Westy from a woman who owned it for 20 plus years. It had been ZBart type rust proofed.
It was really clean, however when I got home, after driving it from north Of Seattle to N WI with my wife, & camped all the way back I put it up on a lift only to find the inner drivers side dog leg was rusted through. That was all the rust I could find. Nothing showed exterior wise.
Thought, oh shit, ‘ I’ll get a new dogleg installed, someday.’ Cleaned up the visible rust, soaked it with Ospho and heavily sprayed it with 3M undercoating including inside the dogleg through the rust hole. Once per year when doing annual maintenance I check it and spray other areas where original rust proofing has come off exposing factory paint.
This temp repair has lasted for 15 yrs. and shows no evidence of changing.
Yes, I will get a new dogleg installed, someday.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
P24p1 to bring out the haters here is my experience.
About 15 yrs ago I purchased a rust free 78 Canadian Westy from a woman who owned it for 20 plus years. It had been ZBart type rust proofed.
It was really clean, however when I got home, after driving it from north Of Seattle to N WI with my wife, & camped all the way back I put it up on a lift only to find the inner drivers side dog leg was rusted through. That was all the rust I could find. Nothing showed exterior wise.
Thought, oh shit, ‘ I’ll get a new dogleg installed, someday.’ Cleaned up the visible rust, soaked it with Ospho and heavily sprayed it with 3M undercoating including inside the dogleg through the rust hole. Once per year when doing annual maintenance I check it and spray other areas where original rust proofing has come off exposing factory paint.

INNER? I'd just patch it. I would say very few have the skill to make a good patch that does not stir up more trouble especially at the rear where it attaches to the bulkhead/B pillar.
I'm pretty sure after the factory welds the whole thing together, they dip the whole car in phosphoric acid wash. Then paint it. then seam seal it.
Ospho use was a good plan in your case.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid Question Ahead: How does one install this repair panel? Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:

Well you know what they say, temporary repairs are permanent repairs! I indeed plan on the old "apply rust preventer on the reg" for many parts of my bus

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: