Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bug and thing brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedrattle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: bug and thing brakes Reply with quote

I hate to bother you guys with this, but I figured the Thing owners would know the answer. I am building a manx on a `69 pan ( off road style with a link beam). I am running 5 lug drums up front. I need to run 5 lug out back. Yes I know about 5 lug disc kits but there is no way to pay for it right now. I have been told I can run like 66-67 rear drums but I have to have the inside of the drum turned down. I was thinking maybe I could just run Thing drums in the rear. My thinking is they are just like the irs drum but 5 lug. Am I right, wrong, or just plain crazy? Thanks for your help!!
`87 Toyota 4runner-built to wheel
`04 Neon--wife's
`05 Dodge-A 3500 cummins 6 sp 4wd tugboat
`07 KTM 525-Dual sport!
A house, 1.5 dogs, no kids, and no $$$$
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the fact and they are undisputable. The Thing rear drums are a 5 x 205 (wide pattern) They are also a good bit wider that early bug drums and are stronger in many other dimentions. I f you can get a pair of good used Things drums, backing plates and shoes you will increase your rear braking ability and achieve what you are hoping for. I just sold a complete rear 73 Thing braking system that I removed from the 73 Thing that I built as an offroad car and have another set that is coming off my soon to be Porsche/ Things street car. I have few offers for $150 for my complete rear brake Thing system but no one has sent the cash or confirmed the deal. I will have the brakes off sooner if someone pushes the envelope with $ to buy my parts so I can buy my other parts. The good news is that the brake parts on this car have been recently replaced with all new German parts. Anyway, the point is, your undersatnding is correct. A complete rear Thing brake system will provide you with the results you are hoping to achieve. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: