Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ragtop has arrived and now installed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. 6 months is a good time for initial quality testing. Let's hear it!
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Indeed. 6 months is a good time for initial quality testing. Let's hear it!

I am very happy with the overall quality.In a regular rainstorm it is leak free.At a carwash or severe cross wind type rain there is leakage.I would venture to say it is a result of the enormous size I ordered rather than product failure.A 40x80 opening is a bit hard to keep water tight under strong winds.If you were to go with a smaller opening you would get a trouble free top.I do have complaint with the stock handle.It stripped out after a month.Definately go with the billet handle. Very Happy

OGJHC Nevada chapter
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will leak, mine does. The thing is, like stated before, only the heavy rain gets into mine when driving. Mine is the 40x50 inch size. Mine has been in service for 5 1/2 years. I bought an aluminum angle at the Home Depot, it's about 3/4x3/4 inch. Bend it to match the curve of the roof, and stick it down with clear silicone at the front of the roof, and it will help keep some of the rain out. My 71 Westy has the pop top removed. I took out the wood headliner, and used it for a pattern and cut a new headliner from a sheet of 3 mil PVC. I used black. If you decide to use PVC, most any sign shop can get it for you, in many colors. I think it took two sheets to make mine. It is not affected by occasionally getting wet, or the moisture that inevitably builds up when ya sleep in there with the windows closed... also an excellent place to put stickers.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue that Street Beat Sunroof owners will encounter will be a mean cool draft in the winter. These roofs just lay against the top of your bus, so a draft will find it's way under, especially when you crack open a window. The way I deal with that...

take some of the PVC that is about 2" larger around the edges than the roof opening. Sick some self adhesive weather stripping around the perimeter, and screw the panel to the inside of your roof during the cold weather. When spring comes around, unscrew the panel, and you are good to go.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That sucks!!!! I thought the ads says they are waterproof yet you find that the ragtop just lays on the top of the roof? It leaks, is drafty, and the handle broke, but you are still happy with it? I'm much toughter customer.

So much for my idea of having the first ragtop/poptop westy. PO put a small hole for an old school popup sunroof in the poptop shell, so it's not like I'd be hacking much to add a small slider. No mas, unless there is a superior product on the market. I may just put another popup sunroof back there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just being honest with y'all. It really is not too hard to live with, leaks a little in heavy rain, pop a panel up there in the winter... I don't want the sunroof open in cold weather anyhow.

All that said, it sure is sweet ridin' down the road with the roof peeled back, which here in the south is possible most of the year, and it definently sets me apart from the crowd! I think humfrey would agree! Many, many bus drivers ask "man, how'd you DO that!"
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am happy.In normal rain its leak free.When I purchased it I was warned about the handle and was told it was in my best interest to purchase the billet handle.
It dosent just "lay on the roof"mine has bows in it and fits fine.
I expected some rain and wind to get in with an opening this size under severe weather conditions.Hell my brother has a T-top car with minor leaks.It comes with the territory of owning a ragot,convertible or t-tops.
The quality is excellant and the benefits are well worth some inconvienence.All I would recommend is going smaller than mine if these minor problems are too much for someone else.
As far as cold air in the winter its no different than in a larger car with a convertible.No roof to be insulated results in a little colder car.
View the below to photos and judge for yourself.looks good open or closed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OGJHC Nevada chapter
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My factory sunroof leaks, granted it's 30+ years old. But not a whole lot, sort of like you are saying, in adverse conditions. I think the rag looks smooth though.....
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humfry;

What I should have written instead of "lays on top" is that the type of sunroofs we installed don't have a "track" down the side that the edge of the fabric holds into. Mine is identical to yours, mine is white to match the roof, and is half the length of your black roof. The knob on mine is a metal T that is plain steel, and has an L shaped catch that fits into a slot I cut in the front of the cab ceiling. To close mine, I simply pass the end of the L into the slot, and turn the handle counter-clockwise. The L is on an eccentric shaft that draws tension on the roof, and holds it closed tightly.

I thoroughly enjoy my Street Beats sunroof, it's the coolest accesory I have on my bus, and like I said in the previous post, is the envy of many other bus drivers. Many uninitiated bus owners, and some civilians think it's a factory roof.

So, yes, after all, it is a hole in the roof! A slight amount of inconveinence is a small trade-off for a truly excellent accessory. Besides, if any of you A/C VW owners will be totally honest, we intentionally put up with a certain amount of "inconvenience" to drive around in our unusual vehicles of choice! Cheers Wink
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>My factory sunroof leaks, granted it's 30+ years old. But not a whole lot,

The factory sunroof shouldn't leak unless it's not closely completely (cables need adjustment) or the drains are clogged. I had a vanagon once and it took a while to get the drains cleaned out but it's worth the time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
JTDenison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Be careful with StreetBeatCustoms Reply with quote

Be careful ordering from these guys, apparently there are many complaints pending with the Phoenix BBB. I am one of the dissatisfied customers, after spending $500, I did not get as luck as you getting an assembled product. Mine was shipped the wrong color, poor instructions, unassembled and I think they just did not finish building it. Now they won't respond to my emails and complaints, I have contacted my Credir Card company to complain.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: