Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm writing this from Shreveport, LA, my mother's place. We bugged out of Clear Lake City yesterday, it took 8 hours to get to Shreveport, usually takes 4, and we're darn glad we did it yesterday. The roadways in the Houston area are parking lots right now, 1.3 million folks (minus those of us who got out earlier) trying to GTFOH.

We were in a 3-car convoy with the '94 Voyager, the '89 LeBaron, and my '67 MGB. The MGB shredded a tire (threw a cord) , and is sitting next to a rancher's barn in a relatively safe place in East Texas, why do those thing have to happen when you're inching along in evacuation traffic at 101 deg F? It should be OK when I go back through, assuming no flying objects trash it out. Thank the Lord, it failed near a driveway leading to a ranch with a kind rancher willing to let me leave the MG with him, it could have been much worse. BTW, if you're wondering about the spare, that car's never had one due to the wire wheels and the state of the OE spare wheel (spokes so loose the wheel wobbled a good 4 inches at the tire when installed). Fix-a-flat's never let me down to date...this time, it was just too bad a failure, compounded by the high temps and traffic.

The 412 is in our garage in Clear Lake, along with the Duster, covered with tarps and mattresses. If I have a house left, it should survive.

BTW, still no centerlink, though Ray's sent it. I may have to prevail upon someone's kindness later for a decent centerlink to get the 412 going if the house is OK but the USPS lost the centerlink in all this Rita flail.

Main thing is, we're safe and waiting for the "all-clear" to return to Houston next week, if the Lord's willing.
73 VW 412 (the Nomad, dropped valve seat land now, argh!)
67 MGB (Built-In Rust from Abingdon)
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
2009 JSW 2.5 (love it, love it, love it!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude, so are we.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're curious...no damage here in Clear Lake Very Happy

On the way back, I picked up the two front wheels from the MG, and my favorite local tire store is looking for rim bands (rubber protectors that keep the spoke nipples from puncturing the inner tubes) now...they found 175R14 tires (wonder of wonders!), and inner tubes. Hopefully, tomorrow they'll get the rim bands in and mount the tires, then I can go back up and install the wheels and drive tne MG back. At least it was completely undamaged, that was good news.

East Texas from Diboll south to Mont Belvieu is without power, mostly without gasoline, lots of downed trees, LOTS of trashed electric transmission pylons and downed distribution lines. It's not pretty. I can see why Entergy is reporting 2-6 weeks without power in many locations. It would take an army division or two a minimum of 2 weeks to do field repairs on the power grid, and that's something like 50000 troops. Entergy's got something like 15000 on the ground now, mostly "mutual aid" from unaffected power companies. Lots of cars scattered beside US 59 from Lufkin to Livingston. Bad grits. Crying or Very sad
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my centerlink back today! It's going in tonight! Progress! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 412 is sitting in the driveway now, the Duster is in the garage. I got the steering back together last night, yay!!! Now it's on to the heads and engine, and then the car will be driveable. Progress is a wonderful thing!

The MG is back in my driveway, with two new front tires. I discovered the spokes on the rear wheels are loose and need to be tightened. It was an interesting trip back from Dayton, the rear end felt like it was going to break loose every time I turned the wheel. Funny, the rear wheels were OK before the attempted evacuation of the MG.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you find heads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keifernet's working that as we speak...

Hey, what happened to the Deathbus and the poopie bus?
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBus is still around, have some welding left to do and find some 2 litre heads! Shocked

Oh the Turd is still running strong as EVER!
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put 2 gals in the fuel tank and pressurized the system, no leaks, 29 psi, 20 minutes pump run time. Engine still out, FYI.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anglodeutsch4 wrote:
Just put 2 gals in the fuel tank and pressurized the system, no leaks, 29 psi, 20 minutes pump run time. Engine still out, FYI.

Did you have to replace the pump?
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's with the original pump. Who knows, maybe it's just old.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

914 pumps are the same if you need one.
Bill12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying the pump when running is moving 2psi? I wonder if you have a weak Pressure adjuster or some or some gunk moving around or just didnt have enough gas in the tank and was getting air from the pickup?? A small leak at a injector can be a few psi? It couldnt hurt to clean the pump and check the pressure regulator and cold start valve and injectors under pressure.....bill
need the Rayster answer!!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure Lane would have updated this thread by now....

After waiting and working on several pairs of heads and "deals" a pair finally passed the test and he has the 412 on the road.

I will tell him he needs to come in here and spout off some more of what all he did to get it going.

Nice wagon though... a smidgen of bodywork and I hope to spray it for him next spring, then it will really be a sharp one.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry I've not posted for a while, I've been busy with the Nomad, work, and family stuff...

THE NOMAD IS ON THE ROAD!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I got it going a week ago. Man, what a SMOOTH air cooled powerplant, and that AT is the best I've ever driven. Firm, controlled shifts, low slip in the TC, excellent. Just got to hook up the A/C, but it's there! The Eber even works! Photos soon!

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement over the last 18 months getting it back going. You guys are the best. Thanks especially to Keifernet for the valve work, and all the great advice and help with cylinder heads. I'll be posting more soon, maybe this weekend.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested, I've added some current photos of the Nomad to the gallery...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=anglodeutsch4
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been on the road for almost 2 years now, I have 35 Kmi on the beast and no big issues. I'm back online after a long slog at work, etc! Very Happy
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, good to hear from you again!
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been off the net for a while, working like crazy on lots of non-VW cars, and trying to keep a job with all the flail in human spaceflight nowadays. Apologies to Keith and company. Time to post again...well...ARGH! After almost 50K miles of trouble-free driving, the Nomad let one of my boys down today. It started stalling out, then started making a terrible clattering noise. He left it on the shoulder of TX3 not too far from the house, and went with a friend for a college class final exam. 90 minutes later, when he got back, the CAR WAS TOWED by the Harris County Sheriffs. They approved the tow 19 minutes after the car was left.

$250 later (!), it's in my driveway waiting for me to finish up a MoPar 46RH trans for a '90 Ramcharger to get finished up to clear a spot in the garage...ARGH! Oil pressure was OK when running, the light went out almost immediately, so I'm REALLY hoping I've not spun a bearing. Mobil 1 15W50, lots of TLC, and it's down...oh well. Started pulling the plugs, the first one I pulled, #4, was wet with fuel...and looking down into the combustion chamber, #4 Intake valve seat has come out of the head by about 30-40 thou. Now I know what it is. Looks like I get to pull an engine and check for piston contact...I think I'm OK...I'm also going to check bearing clearances while I'm at it. Looks like some head work in my future...
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: