Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

side tent comparasions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: side tent comparasions Reply with quote

Anyone have a side tent? I'm considering getting one as I need the extra room to use for camping.

There is an OG tent pretty close to me for sale. I have not seen is but the seller says its in excellent condition (it better be because he wants top dollar)

Other options I was looking at were the "Koln" Tunnel

and the "hannover" frame

I like both of these with the exception of them not having a floor. Even though you can get a ground sheet I'm still not sure about that! Allthough having the option to open up the side for big open awnings is kinda handy as opposed to the westy tent.

The other problem is I have never seen any of the aftermarket units in action. The pics that I have found at all the places that sell these tents kinda leave something to be desired also. Anyone have either of these tents, or have a least seen them set up??? What did you think of it? also set up time and strength of tent. They both got alot of tie downs etc.. I'm not all into taking half the day setting the tent up either.

Are there any other tents available that would fit the bill. There are a few US tents that attach to mini vans an such off the back but I'm not sure if they would work on the side.

Thanks!
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things are too rich for my blood...I just tie a tarp from the gutter to a couple of trees, hey, it's camping! 500 bucks for a piece of canvas is ridiculous, especially if you want to use the damn thing. Show cars maybe..
What about one of those stand alone screened in tent thingys? They seem pretty cheap.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hambone wrote:
Those things are too rich for my blood...I just tie a tarp from the gutter to a couple of trees, hey, it's camping! 500 bucks for a piece of canvas is ridiculous, especially if you want to use the damn thing. Show cars maybe..
What about one of those stand alone screened in tent thingys? They seem pretty cheap.

LOL, you should price a split tent!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Westy side tent for a while - it was out of a 73 I think. It was a great thing to have at weekend shows, or any place you were going to be set up for a while. However, it takes 20 minutes or so to set up, and you really want to have 2 people to set it up. Packed down, it takes up a LOT of room, and is heavy, so you can't really just leave it in the bus...
I ended up selling it because I never used it. They're really cool to have, but as you said, will run you a few bucks...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Westy side tent and I love it!! I paid $350 for it off of ebay, and it ran about $60 I think to ship it here from CA. It's in great shape, no tears, and it's been invaluable to me as far as opening up space in the Bus while I am camping. I travel around the northeast to shows and campouts all summer, and I stow it on the luggage rack while I am driving somewhere. I've gotten pretty good at puting it up quickly and by myself. I generally have someone with em to help though. The first time I set it up, I used a black sharpie and numbered all of the poles so it goes together the same way everytime, and very fast. I have seen one of the tents from The Bus Depot set up at a campout in Cinci, OH, and I have to say it looked pretty good, did the job, but like you said, no floor. I generally use my tent to house my coolers, clothes bags, beer, pretty much anything I wanna get out of the Bus while I'm set up. I go to a campout/show in August in Mt. Vernon, OH (the campout is the Dixie Bus Gathering, show is same weekend, COVVC Volksfest) and it's about a 10-11 hour ride from Syracuse fully loaded with the Bus. I set up my tent, and on Sat. morning I unhook the tent from the Bus for the drive to the show grounds, leaving all of my camping stuff in the zippered up tent. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!!
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's my set up at the Dixie Bus Gathering last year. We arrived fairly early Friday, and got the same spot I get every year. By the end of the night, the place was FULL of Buses, Vanagons, Splits....you name it!!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot had been selling a new 200.00 side tent set-up on Ebay for a while
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ename=WDVW
But I can't find any active auctions so they may have run out. this is the best deal I've seen, but I haven't looked that much.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth every penny especially if you have children, good way to store their toys and keep an eye on them. made a month on the road comfortable for 2 adults, a 2 year old and a german shepard!

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawesty wrote:

worth every penny especially if you have children, good way to store their toys and keep an eye on them. made a month on the road comfortable for 2 adults, a 2 year old and a german shepard!

How do they do in the rain?
BobDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Tents Reply with quote

Luckily it came with the Bus. I love it, plus the neighbors dont have to haer me slamming the slider closed all the time. It stands alone, has the waterproff floor and its square not a dome so the headroom is there in all of the tent. Withstands wind pretty well also.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/150069.jpg[img]

http://www.oldbug.com/hotwesty.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=H9utTT7BYbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIDTCV97eo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIDTCV97eo
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do they do in the rain?

suprisingly very well, we had a good pretty good rain at a bluegrass fest and stayed dry. the instructions advise against sweeping water from the canvas with your hand to maintain it's resistance to seeping water and appears to be true.

dave

79 westy
78 westy

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seams every time I go camping without fail it rains. I had been hesitant to acquire a westy tent for that reason. Guess I should start looking.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is original to my bus but not the nice heavy duty canvas ones -
it was made for Riviera by Beckel Canvas Products in Portland, Oregon.....and its more similar to a ripstop nylon box.
It's rain repelling abilities are a wish at best,
and certainly will blow to the next county if in inclement weather -
I have to put an awning over the top of it for rain protection...(sigh).

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies so far. I have a pretty cool awning attached to my bus and it only takes about a minute to set up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/147781.jpg

I really like it, but if we go camping the dogs gotta go too. Shes old and large and does not navigate too well through a complete 71' westy. I haven''t even attempted to see if she can even fit in there with the bed pulled out. Thats where the tent would come in. plus of course the advantage of actually having some room to move around in for me too!

I'd hate to loose that awning for day trips though. allthough I also have a bagged canvas one that goes full length off the side to (but its a bitch to put up).

Vdubtech: did you happen to notice if that bus depot one you saw had the matching ground cover? Thats probably the biggest thing holding me back from trying one of theres. My dog is pretty laid back but a I still have visions of here sticking here head through in the middle of the night if she hears someting and causing a ruckus! That and of course rain/bugs

For all you guys with the westy tents, are the tents in your pics totally complete? I thought there is a rain flap(?) that goes over the top sometimes? If I go down to look at that OG one, I just wanna make sure its got everything.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had ours a couple of years and found it to keep the inside of the bus cooler when camping in 80-90 degree weather. It also helps to keep the dirt level down on the floor. When we camp it's two adults, three teenage boys (adult size now), and two or three dogs with no problem space wise in the Westy with the side tent. It is a bit heavy and bulky but not that much bulkier than a large camping tent. A printout of the tent set up instructions make it fairly simple to assemble for two people. Rain isn't much of an issue in Arizona so I don't know how well it repels water.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For all you guys with the westy tents, are the tents in your pics totally complete

yes, the factory instructions confirm this.

Quote:
It seams every time I go camping without fail it rains. I had been hesitant to acquire a westy tent for that reason. Guess I should start looking.

get one for yourself, you'll be happy you did. Very Happy

as a side note, the tent and poles will fit in your westy luggeage rack, just be sure to byngee the shit out of it

dave

79 westy
78 westy

Beagledog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my side tent that came with my '79 Westy when I bought it last spring.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=95444

I'm like to find out mor about this tent, but there are no markings it at all. It's probably an aftermarket brand like Sears or Montgomery Wards, but I'm not sure.

As for using it, I haven't actually used it when camping, even though I have camped a lot in the westy. It seems like it would be too much trouble to put up and take down and store in the bus unless you're staying in the same place for more than a day or so, which I don't usually do.

Also, mine doesn't have a bottom, but I thought that if I did ever wanted to seriously use it for camping, I would just get a big piece of green outdoor carpeting from Home Depot and use that as the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help you track the tents origin:
http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/vw/

dave

79 westy
78 westy

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
It seams every time I go camping without fail it rains. I had been hesitant to acquire a westy tent for that reason.

best time for the tent is in the rain. that way when it DOES rain, and it will sometimes, you have a place to go where you can be dry, but not have to coop up inside the bus. the camping tent is a revelation when you first get one, it makes bus camping about 100% better, and that is amazing because bus camping without a tent is already freakin' great.

here is our tent:

it is a strohmeyer tent made in germany, very nicely made, HEAVY as hell however. the tent in its duffel bag with all the steel poles is quite a hard lift onto the luggage rack on the roof. but we don't go anyhwhere without it.

another picture:

this tent has no floor. we have a piece of green stuff, almost like carpet non-slip underlay, that goes on the ground inside the tent. the nice thing about the non-slip stuff is that the sand and dirt water just goes through the holes in the floor, so if you sweep it a bit, the inside stays very clean and dry, even in the rain. the roof of this tent is vinylized canvas and 100% waterproof. the rest of the tent is old-fashioned tent canvas with some screening panels and these cool obscure clear vinyl panels which are similar to a shower curtain, they let in light but you can't see through them, so you have privacy. i would highly recommend a strohmeyer tent if you ever find one for sale, it is a really beautifully designed and made piece.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
i would highly recommend a strohmeyer tent if you ever find one for sale, it is a really beautifully designed and made piece.

This is a little off topic, but I googled strohmeyer tent and in my wanderings found this -
http://www.moonburststructures.net/Portable_Structures/portable_structures.htm

These are some serious tent folk.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: