Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine compartment insulation
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: engine compartment insulation Reply with quote

Anyone insulated the firewall...for sound suppression? JCW has a bulk material that glues on (after cutting to fit). Any thought as to whether such material would help the noise? Beetles used it. Bill
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can insulate the firewall from both directions. First when you do the inside you can choose to go the original material way. Wolfsburg West (as well as others) sell a kit to insulate the interior of the fire wall, here is a link: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863891, then the carpet fits over it. Some people use dynamat, this option is a bit more expensive. Here is a link for dynamat: http://www.dynamat.com/spec_dynamat_original.htm. Other use the route of spraying "rhino guard" (or a similar product by a diferent manufacturer) to the inside, here is a link: http://www.rhinooutfitters.com/toppage6.htm.

On the engine side of the firewall most people install something like: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813805

Hope this helps.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the Thing is not insulated there to prevent rust as they are designed to be used in very wet conditions. If you use screws to hold on the insulation they will poke up through the rear storage area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would think that the Thing is not insulated there to prevent rust as they are designed to be used in very wet conditions."

The guys who built mine must have not have gotten the memo! Smile
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it would be easier to put carpet and some padding topside rather than insulating the engine compartment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you never take your car out in the rain, you may be asking for rust due to condensation under the padding/insulation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned three Beetles...all with firewall insulation...never had a "rust" problem in that area. Drove them everywhere. Why should I expect "rust" in the Thing???? BTW, I don't drive it in bad weather....I got too much money in it. I may soon start keeping it in my dining room Laughing
Bill
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect it to be a problem if you don't drive in bad weather. I've been known to leave the top down for weeks at a time, and forget to put her in the garage before an unexpected rainstorm. That's why I don't deal with insulation or carpeting, but if your firewall isn't going to get wet, knock yourself out!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most offroad vehicles don't have carpeting and insulation because they get very muddy and wet from crossing streams and the insulation and carpet will rust out the metal below it. I have had water in mine a couple of times so carpet and insulation isn't a smart option for me. I have always assumed that is the reson there is no firewall insulation or carpet on the thing. I realize (and most others do to) that most people don't actually use their thing this way and alot have put this stuff in it and it will not rust when kept dry.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several Beetles, a couple I bought new. When it rained, the interior stayed dry. In the Thing, unless you have some custom top and closed all the holes, it will leak in the rain. At Kuebeltreffen East 2003, one returned from the scavenger hunt and had to bail the water out of the front floorboards. All the Thing driver's could relate. Are you new to this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing has drain holes in the floorpan. You gotta drive up a hill to drain it, but it should drain. If you have the original floors, pull out the rubber plugs. If the floorpans have been replaced with Ghia pans (as most pans have been by this point), new holes should be drilled.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah- and keep a towel handy for the area behind the seats, since water will collect in the corrogations.

-Luni Loc
Cattywompus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ponding around the pedals...any solution?
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My origianl post had to do only with the firewall in the engine compartment. Not everywhere this thread has gone. Rolling Eyes
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to figure out the common theme. Things leak like all hell. Do you really want to add a sponge to hold the water in an odd place. Insulation works by having dead air spaces, same as a sponge. Only a sponge holds water. Now back to the main point, if you never go out in the rain, go for it. If you do, you'll be sorry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: