Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Guage
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Fuel Guage Reply with quote

Confused My fuel guage reads at 3/4 when the tank is full. Is this something that needs to be adjusted in the fuel tank, or is it the vibrator on the speedo that may be a problem. Not used to seeing all the different add-ons that VW seems to have. This is my first VW so I am trying to learn what I can a little at a time.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas gauge in the Thing is a 6v device. Since the car runs 12v, VW put a very inexpensive voltage regulator (called a "vibrator") that makes and breaks the 12v connection to average 6v. This is a pretty lousy way to go, but it is inexpensive to make. After 30 years or so, that "vibrator" doesn't vibrate anymore. However, there are several companies that make aftermarket "vibrators" that are REAL transistor-based voltage regulators - the price of transistors has plummeted since the 70s.

The original vibrator has a warm-up period, and as it gets older it may make higher or lower voltages - and your gauge reflects that. Putting on an aftermarket "vibrator" will make the gauge much more accurate. If after replacing it, the gauge is still reading wrong, it's time to manually bend the float higher or lower inside the gas tank.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile That certainly makes sense. I will track one down and see if it makes any difference. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that... My guage still works, but it goes very slowly until about the 1/4 reading, when it starts to go towards the "R" alot more quickly, and I gotta get my broke ass to a gas station right quick. Now I understand why It's so tempremental.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech_tip_FuelGauge.htm

The link listed above will give you the best diagnostic procedure that I have ever seen. That said, check out this that I post below and please respond wiht what you have to offer...

As some of you are aware I have a certain passion for creating a simple
location to stockpile links to important Thing data. The link above is on
the road to do just this. Thanks to Ian and Sparky... This site is so
cool that you can log on and do direct posting edit. Show us you have
something to offer.. Add you links and expertise. I have been working the
site for the past few days and the links are starting to make searching for
Things data a breeze. I worked for about an hour to locate a number of the
old sites that had PDF Thing owner's manuals (both 73 and 74) but seemingly
all those old links are now defunct... I own the PDF files (as part of the
RoMTOC Thing Data CD) So it will be posted eventually. Anyway go to the
site and give back some of what you owe to others for their help over the
years. K-mann
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the diagnostics yet, I have the interior pulled out and am working on getting out the old POR-15 job that was a good thought, but a bad install. Put on in a rush over the top of old paint and rust. Anyway, thats a different story.
I checked out the site and it is most excellent. I'm sure I will make lotsa visits here as I'm getting my THING up and going.
Thanks KMan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: