Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVDA Distributor
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

I just bought a single vacuum advance distributor for 2.0 FI. It arrived just before dark so I haven't had much time to work with it. So far I have put a new condenser and points in it and tried to install it unsuccessfully. I cleaned everything off really well and greased the o ring also. I instsalled it in the engine. I also timed it statically to get in the ballpark. My question is this: Can the rotor go in two different ways? By this I mean can the shaft position be 180 degrees different? I think that's what I was having a problem with. When I turned it as far counter clockwise (enough to run into the cold start valve) it started briefly. I could not start it but again, it was getting cold and dark. Thanks.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA Distributor Reply with quote

William Mercer wrote:
I just bought a single vacuum advance distributor for 2.0 FI. It arrived just before dark so I haven't had much time to work with it. So far I have put a new condenser and points in it and tried to install it unsuccessfully.

Wait until tomorrow although if you are replacing a 009 I understand your eagerness to get it as far away from the engine as possible.

Quote:
I cleaned everything off really well and greased the o ring also. I instsalled it in the engine. I also timed it statically to get in the ballpark. My question is this: Can the rotor go in two different ways?

No.

Quote:
By this I mean can the shaft position be 180 degrees different?

Only if it was assembled incorrectly. The only way the distributor can be installed incorrectly is if the drive pinion below it isn't index correctly.

Quote:
I think that's what I was having a problem with. When I turned it as far counter clockwise (enough to run into the cold start valve) it started briefly. I could not start it but again, it was getting cold and dark. Thanks.

Sounds like an indexing problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would i install it correctly if it is an index problem? I know I had the dist. in the correct position. Vacuum can facing to the right.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned contacting your cold start with your advance on your distributor (too far advance, I think)...as an orientation reference, mine is approx. 1/2" or about a finger width away from the thermostat flap control rod for running position. (I can put my finger on the rod and the vacuum line at the same time) Of course, the dist. gear can be off a few degrees as well and no two engines might be the same...but this is where my 2 liter runs. Not too much room to swivel your dist. but enough to make it run.

Static should get you to start...then the lite will fine tune...
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that was too far advanced but it was the only time it would even start at all. When I backed it off it died. Got to be a simple thing though.
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of what I was trying to say...the line is close to the rod...nevermind the "Kentucky chrome" on the fan housing!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed to run okay with the 009 but I am really looking forward to the vacuum advance of the stock system. If the drive pinion isn't indexed correctly, then what can I do to install the stock distributor?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the engine to TDC #1 by looking at the valves. Compare the position of the pinion to the case parting line as per Bentley (12 degrees IIRC).

I believe the pinion has 12 teeth so off by one would mean the distributor is rotated an extra 30 degrees from normal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the plug wires are on the cap in the correct order/position. Maybe it just that the wires are on the cap 180* out.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set to TDC per valves do I need to adjust the timing mark if it is off and will I be able to adjust timing then? I guess i will just have to try to mess with it tomorrow. I am getting too frustrated tonight. Thanks again for the replies.
JT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought and installed an SVDA dizzy. I found it to be 90 degrees off from stock. I changed the sparkplug wires to correct this and timed it as a stock dizzy.Works great now. JT
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell by the valves that it is 90 degrees off? And did you just change all of the plug wires by one space on the cap?
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for setting you distributor orientation, all you are concerned with is that it is on top dead center where no. 1 fires. Your valves will be fully closed at this time-check for lash. You can ultuimately place your distributor anywhere that it will physically fit as long as you know where no. 1 fires...then route your wires...1, 4, 3, 2 for correct firing order.

I like the 12º reference from the parting of the case, but you don't "have to" have it exactly that way- it just seems to allow for a better swivel since the fan housing, cold start, etc. is in such a tight fit.

Good luck with this!
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT wrote:
I bought and installed an SVDA dizzy. I found it to be 90 degrees off from stock. I changed the sparkplug wires to correct this and timed it as a stock dizzy.Works great now. JT

This is a problem if your distributor is a new beetle unit and not a used unit from another bus. The vacuum can on the beetle distributor went on the left.

Orient the can so it's in the same position as stock (rotating it clockwize 90 or 180 degrees while aiming the rotor towards the fan shroud. Insert into the case with the valves at TDC #1 and the mark on the distrubutor body will be in the wrong spot, no matter.

If you rotated 90 degrees, put #4 wire where the mark on the body lies and put 3-2-1 in the other positions, in order clockwise. If 180 degrees is your ideal position, put #3 where the mark is located and put in the rest of the wires, 2-1-4.
William Mercer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't thank you guys enough. I changed the plug wires once I found TDC. It is working great. New plugs, wires, condenser and points (for the time being) I can't belive what a difference. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: