Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Kadrons in a Splitty
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mskeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
mskeen wrote:
I'm looking at running Kads. My plastic oil bath elbow unbolts so I can take it off. What I'm more concerned with is the sheetmetal bracket that the elbow bolts to. Will the air filter clear this sheet metal bracket?

I think that's what everybody's been talking about in the thread, not the elbow.

That what I thought but I couldn't really tell. So basically they fit for some and not for others? What about when you put yours on?
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mskeen wrote:
Andrew wrote:
mskeen wrote:
I'm looking at running Kads. My plastic oil bath elbow unbolts so I can take it off. What I'm more concerned with is the sheetmetal bracket that the elbow bolts to. Will the air filter clear this sheet metal bracket?

I think that's what everybody's been talking about in the thread, not the elbow.

That what I thought but I couldn't really tell. So basically they fit for some and not for others? What about when you put yours on?

I never actually put that air cleaner on because I didn't get that far, but it looked like it would fit, but just barely. If the aircleaners that come with the kads don't fit, cip1 does sell these that look like they would fit.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D5650
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kads are a snug fit on a bus, but they fit fine on my 65 panel, 66 single cab & on my old 59/60 panel.

BTW--if tuned right, you can get 30mpg with the Kad's. Or at least that is what mine are consistently getting so far.....really helps with the price of gas right now. I hope the price of gas goes up even more too & keep the big assed suv's off the road!
mskeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitsecond wrote:

BTW--if tuned right, you can get 30mpg with the Kad's. Or at least that is what mine are consistently getting so far.....really helps with the price of gas right now. I hope the price of gas goes up even more too & keep the big assed suv's off the road!

What size engine?
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my air cleaners off my Kads a bunch of times and the bracket (it's on the left on my '63) for the OG cleaner doesn't come into play at all... Clearing the filter/cleaner cover over the carb bolt comes very close to the top of the engine compartment, but no big deal.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 'em on 3 different sized engines/vehicles right now & they all pull decent mpg, but I'll just go with the Sundial since it's the daily driver and has been pulling these "miracle" numbers for me lately. Cool

1776 built by CE in AZ a few years ago, P/P'd stock heads with larger valves, low comp forget the ratio #'s, but pretty low like 8:1?? I'm no expert on this stuff, I just had Dan build it to be reliable and economical. Wink It has a 010 dist @15 degrees static-set. & a 2 1/2" magnaflow muffler with custom made oversized piping, collecter/header, yada, yada, yada,.......

Now let me say this, it all depends on how you drive it! I drive like granny everywhere I go in my bus, and I mean slow, slow take off, slow highway speeds..you name it, I'm always going slow & my foot is hardly ever in it & I have a Rancho Freeway flier in this bus! I baby the shit out of her cause she's my DD & don't need any late night motor swaps to get her back on the road for work the next day!

My friends call it the wonder bus, because they all wonder where my "extra" gas tank is hidden to pull 300 miles per tank! I love it, it gets about the same mileage as my wifes 2000 honda civic if I keep the rev's somewhat low and drive peacefully.

Oh yeah, I also run lead substitute......in the gas obviously. Smile

A properly tuned set of kad's will get just about any 1600 almost 30 mpg, as long as you keep your foot out of it & tune the engine correctly.
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my left air cleaner and the bracket above and in front of it. No problem clearing...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitsecond wrote:
A properly tuned set of kad's will get just about any 1600 almost 30 mpg, as long as you keep your foot out of it

What's this keep your foot out of it thing? I thought the gas pedal was like an on/off switch. Confused Or is that just mine? Laughing
mskeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What muffler/header setup are you guys running?
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting some good questions via pm's, Should also mention that I used A.J. Simms tuning procedures and have tried different ideas he suggests. Also I've been playing with jetting as well, air cleaners and timing/dwell poistions & distributors (010 seems to work the best so far). I would think that every motor is different and will require different settings/jets/distributor.

Mskeen--Muffler/Exhaust- I think I posted above, but ehhh, it's a custom made set-up...all stainless steel, 2 1/2" piping all around, magnaflow ss muffler, oversized header 4to1 collector with shaved ends. Flows really nice and sounds great....until you scream from pain because you burned your shins on the pipe sticking out the back! Shocked
mskeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitsecond wrote:
After getting some good questions via pm's, Should also mention that I used A.J. Simms tuning procedures and have tried different ideas he suggests. Also I've been playing with jetting as well, air cleaners and timing/dwell poistions & distributors (010 seems to work the best so far). I would think that every motor is different and will require different settings/jets/distributor.

Mskeen--Muffler/Exhaust- I think I posted above, but ehhh, it's a custom made set-up...all stainless steel, 2 1/2" piping all around, magnaflow ss muffler, oversized header 4to1 collector with shaved ends. Flows really nice and sounds great....until you scream from pain because you burned your shins on the pipe sticking out the back! Shocked

These are going on my 1600 single port so I'll probably be jetting them down a little. I'll also be throwing an 019 distributor in when they are installed. Yeah, I read your exhaust setup so my question was directed more towards everyone else. Do you have pictures you can post?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: