Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3's in movies and on T.V.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

1977 TV show "Charlie's Angels" season 1, episode 22 named "The Blue Angels". Near the end of the episode, Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith) and the other Angels follow the antagonists to a junkyard. Kelly is seen at bottom of the screen with an orange early Notchback (!) directly behind her. There's a pale blue Type 3 (Fastback ? due to short roof length, though not curved so maybe a S-back; smoothie wheel would not be possible with F-back) 3 cars to the left, as well as a '68 thru '70 Beetle (swingaxle or IRS?). IMDB lists the location as Daves' Auto Wrecking, 9829 San Fernando Rd, Pacoima California which is in the northeastern section of the San Fernando Valley.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

That’s something that’s always bugged me, why do scrap yards f up cars by using a fork lift.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Is that an Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 next to the Beetle? Or maybe a Fiat?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
1977 TV show "Charlie's Angels" season 1, episode 22 named "The Blue Angels". Near the end of the episode, Kelly Garrett (Jaclyn Smith) and the other Angels follow the antagonists to a junkyard. Kelly is seen at bottom of the screen with an orange early Notchback (!) directly behind her. There's a pale blue Type 3 (Fastback ? due to short roof length, though not curved so maybe a S-back; smoothie wheel would not be possible with F-back) 3 cars to the left, as well as a '68 thru '70 Beetle (swingaxle or IRS?). IMDB lists the location as Daves' Auto Wrecking, 9829 San Fernando Rd, Pacoima California which is in the northeastern section of the San Fernando Valley.

It's still a wrecking/salvage yard, but is much smaller and there are no VWs there. Typical for yards in that part of the Valley, it's gone 80% Japanese cars, maybe 20% American cars and trucks.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Is that an Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 next to the Beetle? Or maybe a Fiat?
Good guess on the Alfa. My guess is a 1970-ish Toyota Corona, with its rearward-slanted front fendertop and quad headlamps. Though the long side marker lamp should be the big clue.

KTPhil- I also checked Maps for a current street view of that location. Seeing that there are other brand-specific auto salvage yards now nearby, I can imagine that this area had many more, and larger yards in the '70's.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Yes, that part of the east SF Valley was full of yards, most of them with VWs, through the 1980s. Most of them are gone, due to property values, neighbor complaints, and the decline in the business overall.

I used to be at one yard or another at least monthly, for my VWs and also for a few other cars.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
"Freebie and the Bean" (1974) was filmed in San Francisco, California. Police detectives Freebie (actor James Caan, driving) and Bean (Alan Arkin) are in a white 1972 Ford Custom 500, chasing a blue Plymouth. There are several Squarebacks and a Fastback in background. My computer's old browser is not enabling viewing a few more car chase videos from this movie, so I imagine there could be more Type 3 seen.
Ja wohl, I found another one in the car chase sequence:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

"Charlie's Angels" TV show, season 2 episode 10 named "Angels in the Wings". Pretty Kris Munroe (Cheryl Ladd) is giving a ride to theater performer Frank Jason (Gene Barry). 2 henchmen follow them first in the parking lot, then in their large Ford sedan. There' a black '68 Ghia Coupe, and Savannah Beige (?) '68/'69 Squareback.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

I posted these first 3 shots in the overall "VWs in Films/TV/etc" thread in 2018, but I spotted some Fastbacks while watching the movie on TV this week and want to add them all here to the appreciative Type 3 enthusiasts.

"What's Up, Doc" (1972) takes place in San Francisco and is loaded with VWs. Early in the movie, Judy Maxwell (Barbra Streisand) stops at a pizza store. A white notchback drives past behind her.

A few minutes later she follows the delivery man across the street, oblivious to traffic. As a motorcycle wipes out avoiding her, there's a red with black roof Type 3 Ghia Cool Very Happy on the opposite curb.

Later in the movie at the start of the deliverybike/car chase segment:
1. Light '66-'69 Fasty across street from the black '52 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 with hotel house detective Harry (played by Sorrell Booke, but must be the stunt driver in car here) waiting on California Street where the chase begins.

2. As Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal) and Judy Maxwell escape on the 3-wheeled delivery bike, they rush down a steep hill. A light later Fasty is parked nose-in beyond the intersection where they turn to the left.

3. Farther along on the delivery bike chase, there's a red early Fasty parked at right background. "Bonus" Beetles at left and right,

4. Now on the same street as the #3 location but looking downhill, there's a red '66 Fasty (no headrests nor back-up lights) parked at the curb. Filming takes at later hours have it partly in the shade. IMDB lists location as 23rd Ave. & Balboa St. in SF. The white Splittie bus in left background eventually gets hit by the chasing cars, though at that point it was parked nose-uphill Confused .
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

It's still a wrecking/salvage yard, but is much smaller and there are no VWs there. Typical for yards in that part of the Valley, it's gone 80% Japanese cars, maybe 20% American cars and trucks.

[/quote]

... little consolation, there's still an Audi badge in the business sign
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Lowyoyo wrote:
Hello-you guys are the best! There was a British detective series on PBS a few years ago that had great footage of a squareback throughout; unfortunately at the finale, the bad guys torched it. Anybody out there happen to know the series name and if I can buy it on DVD? Any other suggestions for T-3's on videos? I've seen a hawaii 5-0 with a nice,crisp notchback. I bet somebody out there remembers a cool chase scene from a show like Adam 12 or maybe Streets of San Francisco or whatever.

I've quoted the original post here so hopefully the OP might see it (even after all these years!

There was a miniseries shown here in the UK in 1991, called GBH, and it starred Michael Palin who's character drove a Squareback.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101104/

Could that be the show the OP was referring to?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

I spotted a handful more Type 3's in the background of "What's Up, Doc" (1972) while Howard Bannister and Judy Maxwell (Ryan O'Neal, Barbra Streisand) were driving the blue '68 Beetle in the main chase segment. VWs 2-5 are all on the last street before the chase line cars all dive into San Francisco Bay.

1. Beige Fastback to the left.

2, 3. White Notchback to the right. This is a different one than the one seen early in the movie (per another photo of mine in tS Gallery) because this one has whitewall tires. As a huge bonus, there's a light blue Fastback directly behind this Notch Cool Very Happy !

4. Light blue Fastback way up the hill on the right. Is that a red Fastback farther down?

5. White '68/'69 Squareback (headrests) on right, first as Bannister passes it while driving the '68 Beetle, then when Mr. Smith in the taxi (Michael Murphy, Jerry Summers) pass by immediately behind Bannister.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

A few VWs are seen in the background of "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1968, starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway) filmed north of Boston, Massachusetts and on Long Island, New York. There's a blue Type 3 parked at the polo match that was at the Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton, MA.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Movie "Foul Play" (1978) filmed on the steep streets in San Francisco, California. Several Type 3s. Police detective Tony Carlson (Chevy Chase) and Gloria Mundy (Goldie Hawn) commandeer several vehicles- Lincoln town Car, Chevy Pickup/camper, and Cadillac stretch limousine; and race around the streets. Unfortunately I could only find a low-resolution video so that the images lack sharpness.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Movie "Spark" (1998); I stumbled upon this movie named by a person in the Splittie forum. Filmed in a small desert village; unfortunately I can't find its location per internet search. Only clue is the maroon license plate (Arizona?) on the front of a Beetle, though the beige Squareback has a '70's era 6-character blue Calif. plate on the back. Main character Byron's (Terrence Howard) 1980-era BMW 320i breaks down while he's driving from Chicago to Calif. A local young man Mooney (Brendan Sexton III) offers to help by going to a local junkyard to try to find a starter for it. There are many Type 3 in the yard.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

White Fastback, dark Squareback, and light Squareback in movie "The Burglars", 1971 filmed in Corfu, Greece. Famous French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo driving the red Fiat 124 sedan, being aggressively chased by Omar Sharif in a black 1965 Opel Rekord. An early Fastback is on the street as Belmondo in the Fiat comes out of the pedestrian tunnel (!) and drives onto the street. Original French movie name is "Le Casse".

Savannah Beige '70 or Kansas Beige '71 Fastback stopped at corner, movie "Speedtrap" 1977. Early Audi 100LS on left. IMDB lists filming locations as Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona.

Fastbacks in TV show "The Streets of San Francisco"; pilot episode from 1972. Filmed on location in San Francisco, California.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Cool video of cruising on Van Nuys blvd with a squareback and fastback.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

"The Italian Job" (1969) was filmed mostly in Turin (Torino), Italy. Even though Italian-brand models outnumber VWs probably 20:1, you do see some in the traffic jam. Red Notchback in the piazza:

A different red Notchback in background. The black Fiat Dino Coupe of mob boss Altabani is between the Beetle and the Notch.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

From Dec. 2020-
Rome wrote:
"The French Connection", 1971, filmed in Brooklyn, New York.
More Type 3:
Beige late '60's Squareback (headrest seen behind passenger?) driving.

In the exciting chase segment where New York City Detective "Popeye" Doyle (Gene Hackman) commandeers a '71 Pontiac Lemans to follow his assassin fleeing in the elevated train ("el") in Brooklyn, he swerves to avoid a truck on 86th Street. A '68/'69 Fastback (headrests) is parked on the opposite corner. Colors could be VW Blue (1968) or Cobalt Blue ('69).

There's another Type 3 a few minutes later in the car chase. Doyle sideswipe-crashes into a wall in the Pontiac, then drives off. He passes a blue & white parked Splittie bus, and as he turns left, passes a green late Beetle and a flash of a "rectangular" orange car. This is a '70+ Squareback, but the camera is following Doyle with a panning motion so that the S'back is too blurry to capture in a sensible screen shot.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3's in movies and on T.V. Reply with quote

Type 34 Ghia in "The Saint- The better mousetrap" (1966). British TV show starring Roger Moore as Simon Templar; season 5 episode 9. Templar is in the French Riviera city of Cannes, and is apprehended by the French Police for being suspected of robbing jewelry. He escapes from the back seat of the Peugeot 403 police car. There's a dark pre-'66 Type 34 Ghia in background, per the thin slot wheel trim rings. Color might be Terra Brown with Pearl White roof. Scenes took place "at night" by using a dark filter. In my enhancements to lighten them up, there is significant graininess and pixellation. I wanted to include them anyway since the Type 34 is so rarely seen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: