TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 489, 490, 491 ... 508, 509, 510  Next
Busted-bolt Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:28 pm

crukab wrote: ronjonlasvegas wrote: I saw this real deal 1960 23 window posted on FB. It is a huge project, but the price didn't seem to bad for a real 23. It is a good project for a shop or someone who is good at rust repair and panel replacement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/255191118022181/pe...2903945655

Typical FB people that don't know Split Buses (Bug & Ghia owners or NON Vw people) crapping on a fair priced 23..... Actualy a pretty massive deal, if it is a real 23 window project :shock:

otherbeach Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:10 am

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOHw6AT0vUzFu...t6SUdJbDNR

South Carolina. $20000

This is the Facebook 23 mentioned. I find Facebook links painful so just reposting with link to photo gallery

Does say no Mcode

Tomasz Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:25 am

Will take at least $50K+ to be somewhat presentable. Not me idea of a good deal.

T

Busted-bolt wrote: crukab wrote: ronjonlasvegas wrote: I saw this real deal 1960 23 window posted on FB. It is a huge project, but the price didn't seem to bad for a real 23. It is a good project for a shop or someone who is good at rust repair and panel replacement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/255191118022181/pe...2903945655

Typical FB people that don't know Split Buses (Bug & Ghia owners or NON Vw people) crapping on a fair priced 23..... Actualy a pretty massive deal, if it is a real 23 window project :shock:

teahead Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:15 pm

I see at least $50k in body work and paint.

Needs a new roof.

Then you need everything else. Parts alone is another $30k. Then another $30k for someone to install it all if you don't do it yourself.

I think one would have been better off buying a nice rig like the last two 23s that sold on BAT for $75k.

Lind Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 am

teahead wrote: I see at least $50k in body work and paint.

Needs a new roof.

Then you need everything else. Parts alone is another $30k. Then another $30k for someone to install it all if you don't do it yourself.

I think one would have been better off buying a nice rig like the last two 23s that sold on BAT for $75k.
Look at you using all that fancy math, like addition. ;)

I have always said If you can't afford a nice bus, you really can't afford a crappy bus.

j.pickens Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:39 am

Lind wrote: teahead wrote: I see at least $50k in body work and paint.

Needs a new roof.

I have always said If you can't afford a nice bus, you really can't afford a crappy bus.

Where's the "Like" button when you need one?

aa390392 Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 am

j.pickens wrote: Lind wrote: teahead wrote: I see at least $50k in body work and paint.

Needs a new roof.

Total agreement

Braukuche Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 am

aa390392 wrote: j.pickens wrote: Lind wrote: teahead wrote: I see at least $50k in body work and paint.

Needs a new roof.

Total agreement

Depends on your skill set.
I’ve bought more crappy VWs and Porsches over the past 30 years than any sane person should and restored them and made money. But I do most of my own work. A lot of times I probably made less than a 7/11 clerk figured hourly.

In general though if you have to pay someone to do your work the best deal is to buy an older but still nice restoration. But what I’ve found is that there are always people who enjoy the project aspect, even if their role is to write checks.

EverettB Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm

This seems cheap to me for Bus 15s
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2468343

Unless it's $50 each... which isn't too bad these days either

Okie Adam Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:39 am

I read the ad as all for $50 and thought it sounded really cheap

RBurn Mon May 03, 2021 7:24 pm

Decent deal?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/76878138...l%7D%22%7D

obus Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 pm

hack a saurus wreckx!

Those roof windows are hacked in and the windshield rubber looks like the stuff used on Brazilian buses. Run Forrest run or at worst proceed with caution!!

a smith Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 pm

obus wrote: hack a saurus wreckx!

Those roof windows are hacked in and the windshield rubber looks like the stuff used on Brazilian buses. Run Forrest run or at worst proceed with caution!!

Is it just me or is the shape of the skylights not even right? Or is it just bad pics making them look that way??

AS350driver Mon May 03, 2021 8:49 pm

RBurn wrote: Decent deal?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/76878138...l%7D%22%7D

There’s a thread somewhere on here about this bus. It turned out to be real. The guy inherited along with the old building it was in back in Mississippi, I think?

Then transported it to Cali. I thought he finished it though. Ad may be a scam.

Edit: Bang! Found it...now repeat after me, there are no solid real OG paint 23 windows for $9000, there are no....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677301&highlight=mississippi

EverettB Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Yes, that Facebook ad has got to be a scammer.
This Bus has been used A LOT as a scam ad in the past but not in a couple years.
It was all over craigslist for a while a few years ago.
I guess the scammer went back a little in history to grab that one.

Edit: I see the guy's name is Allen. It's probably this guy
Allen Alfiler
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366563
HUGE scammer!

Gallery pic from 2018:

Maybe they'll do this one too, it was super popular as well:

AS350driver Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm

EverettB wrote: Yes, that Facebook ad has got to be a scammer.
This Bus has been used A LOT as a scam ad in the past but not in a couple years.
It was all over craigslist for a while a few years ago.
I guess the scammer went back a little in history to grab that one.

Edit: I see the guy's name is Allen. It's probably this guy
Allen Alfiler
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366563
HUGE scammer!

Gallery pic from 2018:

Maybe they'll do this one too, it was super popular as well:

Same guy got a friend of mine and me several years back, like 2012. It was a dove blue 61 Kombi advertised in Phoenix CL for $4000. Obviously a dry AZ bus in the pics he used. My airplane mechanic wanted it bad, he wanted a 61 , his year of birth, and his 61 Piper Comanche is white and the same color blue. So I flew him up to Phoenix in my plane, and went to the address in Moon Valley. Story was, his dad died in Moon Valley, and “Allen” was stuck in LA, but said we could look at the bus in the back yard of his deceased dads house. We get to the house, it’s empty with a for sale sign, so it all seemed to fit. “Allen” had been trying to get my friend to wire like $300 to his bank in California to “hold” the bus. It all seemed legit at the time, he wasn’t asking for Western Union, etc. His bank would be traceable. Only thing fishy was he only texted or emailed, wouldn’t talk on the phone. We couldn’t see over the big rock wall surrounding the place. So he tells us we can go into the back yard where the bus was, and where we can get over the huge rock wall. I got over, but my friend couldn’t get over the wall. I couldn’t find a bus anywhere. Luckily, my friend had not sent any money to him. Not finding a bus anywhere, it finally clicked and I got back over the rock wall. A neighbor had showed up and asked if we were looking for the “van”. We were like yeah, are we at the wrong house? Where is it? Our hopes went back up! She explained that lots of people had came by and jumped the wall looking for a vw back there and some had to be helped to get back out. She was going to put a sign up saying “no VW in the back yard”. Blah.

Repeat after me .....no, there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard, there are no....

Lind Tue May 04, 2021 6:54 am

AS350driver wrote: Repeat after me .....no, there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard, there are no.... I would modify that a bit and say "there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard advertised on the internet"

There are still dry kombis that come out of back yards for '90s prices, but they are never advertised on the internet, because if the seller can find the internet, they will either get advertised for a high price, or someone will offer a higher price. Anybody and everybody will see the ad on the internet. Get out there in the sticks and do some real hunting, and crazy stuff shows up. A good amount of luck and skill are also necessary.

AS350driver Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Lind wrote: AS350driver wrote: Repeat after me .....no, there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard, there are no.... I would modify that a bit and say "there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard advertised on the internet"

There are still dry kombis that come out of back yards for '90s prices, but they are never advertised on the internet, because if the seller can find the internet, they will either get advertised for a high price, or someone will offer a higher price. Anybody and everybody will see the ad on the internet. Get out there in the sticks and do some real hunting, and crazy stuff shows up. A good amount of luck and skill are also necessary.

I meant to say “online”, but got distracted remembering clawing my way back over that rock wall. Ironically, my 65 Westy subhatch was an online find, advertised as a “74 Vanagon, $1500 or best offer” on Craigslist and one pic. I was sure it was another Allen Alfiler scam, but it had an Arizona phone number. I was floored when I called the number anyway, and an older lady answered, and it was not a scam. Of course, didn’t get it for $1500, quite a bit more, but still got it.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’m going to go out on a limb here, just speculating of course, but I figure it’s only about 5 enthusiasts a year that find something like a running, rust free 61 Kombi out in the sticks at 90’s prices. Maybe from 5 to 10. The rest are rusty, stripped, non running for decades, or the owner has watched American Pickers and has a wildly inflated idea of values. Some of the most prolific bus chasers I know haven’t scored in a few years now, just rusty stuff. Just for fun, where would you put the number?

Lind Tue May 04, 2021 5:35 pm

AS350driver wrote: Lind wrote: AS350driver wrote: Repeat after me .....no, there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard, there are no.... I would modify that a bit and say "there are no $4000 dry 61 Kombis in the back yard advertised on the internet"

There are still dry kombis that come out of back yards for '90s prices, but they are never advertised on the internet, because if the seller can find the internet, they will either get advertised for a high price, or someone will offer a higher price. Anybody and everybody will see the ad on the internet. Get out there in the sticks and do some real hunting, and crazy stuff shows up. A good amount of luck and skill are also necessary. I meant to say “online”, but got distracted remembering clawing my way back over that rock wall. Ironically, my 65 Westy subhatch was an online find, advertised as a “74 Vanagon, $1500 or best offer” on Craigslist and one pic. I was sure it was another Allen Alfiler scam, but it had an Arizona phone number. I was floored when I called the number anyway, and an older lady answered, and it was not a scam. Of course, didn’t get it for $1500, quite a bit more, but still got it.

Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’m going to go out on a limb here, just speculating of course, but I figure it’s only about 5 enthusiasts a year that find something like a running, rust free 61 Kombi out in the sticks at 90’s prices. Maybe from 5 to 10. The rest are rusty, stripped, non running for decades, or the owner has watched American Pickers and has a wildly inflated idea of values. Some of the most prolific bus chasers I know haven’t scored in a few years now, just rusty stuff. Just for fun, where would you put the number? A lot of stuff flies under the radar. The majority of buses that sell for '90s prices don't run, but nice buses do come out for cheap. Overall, I would be surprised if it was less than a dozen mind blowing bus deals every year. I find one every few years or so. A decade ago, would find them every few months. two decades ago, well, it was the '90s....

Your bus is a prime example of how they don't go cheap on the internet. If you hadn't offered more money, she would have sold it to someone else who offered more money.

RBurn Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 am

I was thinking scam.... odd several are popping up now

Another 21 taking offers.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2839687412961863/