TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 168, 169, 170  Next
sc-surfer Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Can't go 10 min. without seeing one here in Santa Cruz. What with Vans everywhere, Volks-cafe (I mean Van-Cafe) just down the street I Guess we are pretty spoiled!

VanagOnly Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I live in the east village NYC and although they are very rare in the city,in my area there was a brown 83 westy and a bay westy within a few blocks.The bay was really beat up but I was someday hoping to see a for sale sign,probably would get it for a song,nice project(it ran),but it has since dissappeared.There is also a guy with a white weekender I've seen at the shop I use.Been on the lookout for Brooklynvanagon or Luvdavdubs.Keep your eyes out for my silver wolfsburg!

Raynor Shine Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:47 pm

See a couple a month here in Phoenix, usually loaded down headed towards the mountains...

0to60in6min Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Lanval..

then someone has a westy that looks very like yours...

oh well... I waved at him a lot...

:-) :-)

Paintedbus Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:28 pm

connecticut offers little in the way of vws. i see one or two driving when summer comes around... thats other than my friend tracy who drives a 66 sundial camper.. i think. thats it though.

vanagon80226 Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:07 pm

i have mine at school then a friend, she has a 1991 carat orly blue vanagon we park next to eachother at school. haha

WVVWFERG Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:44 am

my daughter & her boy-friend live 2 blocks from my wife and me. Between us , we have 4 vanagon westys, a vanagon 7-pass & 2 bay westys, so I see these a lot. Other than ours, there are not more than 4 or 5 others in a city of less than 50,000 (Charleston, West Virginia)

brooklynvan Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:10 am

VanagOnly-
I've seen your Wolfie parked on ave C I think....

In my hood in Brooklyn there's a burgundy Carat and a burgundy GL, a two tone blue 84 GL, an aircooled westy, a blue syncro (haven't seen this one in a while), a white 91 GL, and a TDI badged syncro with oregon plates. Oh and there was a nice looking burgundy full westy with SA rheins and SA grill with Texas tags for a while. haven't seen that one recently either.

VanagOnly Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:30 am

brooklynvan wrote: VanagOnly-
I've seen your Wolfie parked on ave C I think....

Yeah,that's me

kevinbassplayer Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:26 am

I probably see abouut 3 - 4 a day here in Nor-Cal

mrhooie Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:33 am

we just came back from a month in Australia and I was pleasantly surprised to see 4 or 5 a day as we travelled

70 140 Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 am

I know of five within a 10 minute walk radius - and I live in the rust belt.

IMO they aren't that rare.

vannygun Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 am

i work in n. and ne. portland after first reading this post i decided to count them during my work day.between 8am and 430pm i counted 6 parked and 5 driving and i never left ne portland!!!again vanagons are plentiful here in portland

Vinowagen Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 am

In the South Bay (LA) I see at least 5 or 6 Westies on any given day along with 4-5 multivans. Most are '86 or newer. I pay more attention to the '85 and older ones(more rare and also what I own). I also see 2-3 AC Westies depending on which route I take. We were just at Wheeler Gorge (Ojai) this weekend and saw a green AC, a brown '86, a '86+ syncro multi, and a dark blue '86+. We are very lucky. :D :D

montykeel Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07 am

Mostly in my dreams here in (very) rural Northwest Arkansas. Not exacly the land of Van-Cafe and GoWesty. My '84 Westy is the only one I see regularly. I know there have to be some more around though. Eureka Springs is a semi-hippie kind of tourist town about 25 miles away. There have to be at least few lurking around there. Anybody on here from my area.

flyingCoyote Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 am

Oh man, those NYC posts remind me how lucky I am now (lived in NYC 15 years, most days my Bay & Vanagon were the only 'real' VWs I saw)

Now I live in Oregon, outside Eugene, and see at least one Vanagon every time I go out to the store. When I go INTO Eugene, there's a Bay or Vanagon on pretty much every block, except in the wealthier areas where the housewives favor Eurovans. On the rural highway where I live, I see a van or two daily and a Beetle every couple of hours

MattVW Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 am

There's a white '87 westy with a mashed up rear bumper a few blocks away from my house and I saw 3 westy's and a white GL in Sausalito yesterday.

It's no uncommon for me to see at least 13 or more Vanagons per day. They're everywhere here in Marin.

j_dirge Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:14 am

I see loads of them here in the Outer Sunset in San Francisco.. probably a dozen or more in the 5 block radius where I live, ranging from Syncro Westy to Westy to Weekender,.. in all matters of condition. Rust buckets to nice restoration to working rigs.

Not too many plain Vanagons.. although there is a "Hobie Cat" special edition I see plying the roads out here, occasionally... unfortunatelty it is parked outside too much and has the worst case of window rot I've seen (in person).

I do not see so many on the open road when headed to the mountains or points north and south..

70 140 Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:05 pm

70 140 wrote: I know of five within a 10 minute walk radius - and I live in the rust belt.

IMO they aren't that rare.

Just got in from my afternoon run, took a camera with me and snapped a few photos of the ones I run past. Sorry for the crap photos, but I wasn't about to break my pace for a Vanagon :)

Vanagon GL Westy

Westy - at the euro garage, I think it belongs to the owner/mechanic. I see it driving alot

Another Westy at another garage. Showed up last summer, hasn't moved since. There is also a baywindow, a few transporter/eurovans.

On the other streets of my route there is a silver passenger Vanagon with a Subaru swap, but it wasn't around today, and an ugly-ass brown country holmes type camper with the horizontal lift pop-top - also missing.

These are just the ones on the route I run...

rs4-380 Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:54 pm

rarely see them up here, but I was in san diego this past weekend and they were EVERYWHERE