TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do to your ghia this week? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 165, 166, 167  Next
noexit Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Last week, cut out a rusty rocker, found 8 inches of dried mud in the lower rear front fender, and began disassembly of the pan.

This week, finish removing the trans-axle, rebuild the engine in my bug. (died today on the way to work.)

superman73 Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 am

found some riviera wheels and trying to get them shipped to me.

70vwghia Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Fixed the horn on my '70 vert. Had the famous 'button under the column' from a PO. Would have been an easy fix, since the ground wire was broken at the end of the column. Took care of the break and found the rockhead PO cut the commutator wire flush with the ignition switch housing. So, soldered a new wire on the commutator and I'm back in business.

anubiscrs Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:26 pm

tomorrow I'll be working on getting the 61 started. I already got it going by puring a little gas in the carb. I think I have a clogged fuel line.

boat_builder Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:39 pm

I'll be adjusting my valves on Saturday, I have a suspicion they have moved!

dog_jr911 Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:54 pm

lets see.... put out my engine fire.

and now im rebuilding my car again.

i win! :D

superman73 Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:13 pm

got my riviera wheels in. im now polishing them.

hpw Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:13 am

Head and carb. work at aircooledengineering(ACE)

Carburetor repair, before
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Mini D-port
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

joedirte Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Got my pans welded, finally! :shock: Now on to the quarter panel repairs

snookerdude Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:54 pm

well, this week i bought it a new duel quiet pack. the polished stainless steel fat boy is really pretty, but like some of the pretty girls i have known is just too loud. next week i will install it. ain't it fun??

boat_builder Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:17 am

Finally got rid of the gas smell from inside my car. I replaced the big fuel filler hose and it's rubber seals, the breather hose that runs alongside the large hose, the "elbow" rubber hose under the front right fender, the small 3.5mm breather hose under the front right fender. I can now make sharp left hand turns without getting gased!

Next job is to replace all the fuel line in the engine bay and relocate the fuel filter from on top of the distributor :roll: to behind the firewall.

Achilles3588 Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:19 am

Installed the replacement faux wood dash. Installed the license plate light housing.

Installed a new rag joint. Installed the steering column tube, column, upper bearing and ignition switch housing. Made final adjustment to steering box for column alignment.

Achilles3588 Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:49 am

Installed the replacement ATF suction line. Added two quarts ATF, enough to prime the pump.

Replaced the battery ground strap. Had the wife turn the key to the ON position. Dummy lights for GEN and OIL lit right up. Sum-beech it's wired correctly!!! Key back to OFF.

Pulled out the spark plugs.

Pulled the oil pressure switch out of the engine tap. Had the wife turn the key to START - the engine cycled!!!! Goddammit first time this engine has turned over in 22 (yep!!) years. Rebuilt starter I've had sitting for nearly a decade worked like a champ!!! Oil coming out the pressure switch tap as expected. Shut the engine back down.

Replaced the switch in the tap, turned the engine over once or twice, oil light staying lit. Then turned it over and held it for 5~10 seconds or so. OIL light went OUT as expected!!!!!! Damn looks like the oil pump is doing it's job. Let the thing cycle for 15 seconds or so, as advised, to circulate the oil.

Wow that is a good feeling - so many things could have gone wrong. No oil or ATF spewing out from places I didn't want it to, happy just to have that happen.

Coming up: final plumbing on the gas tank, and purge the ATF system.

sactojesse Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:02 pm

Last weekend, I pulled the original 1300 and 4:37 R&P transaxle out of my 66 ghia convertible. This weekend, I installed a KCR Super Street 3.88 R&P trans. Next up, rear disc brakes (front already has discs), camber compensator, adjustable front end, and the 2110 from my 69 coupe. :)

tstracy39 Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:39 pm

Pulled the carb and rebushed it. Throttle shaft had been leaking. Replaced the 20+ year old Sears "Made in Yugoslavia" tire I had on my spare rim with a Nova Metric Radial using a tire iron and compressed air. It's a shame, that tire was the skinny kind and still had a full tread

hpw Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:11 pm

sactojesse wrote: Last weekend, I pulled the original 1300 and 4:37 R&P transaxle out of my 66 ghia convertible. This weekend, I installed a KCR Super Street 3.88 R&P trans. Next up, rear disc brakes (front already has discs), camber compensator, adjustable front end, and the 2110 from my 69 coupe. :)

Have any more info. on the rear disc brakes, brand, cost and do you

know if it will increase the track width? :?:

ruckman101 Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Had my ghia taken home on a flatbed truck after it died from fuel starvation. Suspected vapor lock, and pulling the gas line to the fuel pump, the metal tube going into the fuel pump pulled out slick as a whistle, rather than the hose pulling off of it.

Didn't want to burn it up even if I did get it running, so called the truck.

Maybe this is why I've been getting such lousy mileage.

Addressing the issue tomorrow.

neal

AZVDubbin Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Scraped, wirebrushed, and scrubbed the front beam to ready for paint! 35 years of grease build up does not come off easy! But underneath all that? Nice original VW metal with no rust! God do I love AZ cars! Just finished installing all new tie rod ends, and wrapped up the drivers side drop spindle installation. Still have to finish up the passenger side hopefully tomorrow!

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:51 pm

i got to drive my car for the first time in 20+ years of sitting.
GO me!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Moxon Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:53 am

VWDORK wrote: i got to drive my car for the first time in 20+ years of sitting.
GO me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now THAT is good news, congratulations...last week I put an extra 600 miles on my newly rebuilt engine. :D