TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My Express engine Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Peter_Plade Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:10 pm

Again this year I made some updates.
I changed the carbs to 32pci and modified the original 54-55 strap over filters so they aren't as restrictive.
It now makes 61hp and I'm quite happy :lol:

EverettB Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:38 pm

What did you change in the air cleaners?

Peter_Plade Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:50 pm

EverettB wrote: What did you change in the air cleaners?

If you take a look at the bottom of the filter you can the flange that goes over the carb is of center, that of course to move the filter back towards the fan shroud on the stock motor otherwise it would hit the decklid.
But not having that problem I moved the carb flange so it is centered with the inside pipe, and almost works as a stack now. I can take some pics if that explains it better?
Can't tell if it's the filter or carbs, but I have less carb "noise" now than I used too.
Btw it wasn't the best day cutting up 2 original filters :? But the end result was good!

EverettB Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 am

I understand your text - you put the bottom carburetor connection in the center instead of it being offset. Cool.

Yes, I would be hesitant to cut 2 original strap air cleaners too. :)

Peter_Plade Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:52 am

EverettB wrote: I understand your text - you put the bottom carburetor connection in the center instead of it being offset. Cool.

Yes, I would be hesitant to cut 2 original strap air cleaners too. :)

But now there are 2 original filters less out there, making the remaining ones more rare :wink:

Scotty Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:29 am

Such a beautiful engine!

MDKG Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:36 am

Very nice engine Peter! Any video of you latest set up running? Love the fact that you really drive your car. Do you run the standard brakes? If so how do they perform with this engine?

Peter_Plade Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:56 am

MDKG wrote: Very nice engine Peter! Any video of you latest set up running? Love the fact that you really drive your car. Do you run the standard brakes? If so how do they perform with this engine?

Hi and thanks for the nice words, the only video i have is from when i was running it in and adjusting the mixture before I had it on the dyno (might have a dyno video also)
As for brakes, I have been running 356A brakes in the front the last 3 years and planning on mounting the rears too, even the front ones does an exelent job.

grailoc Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Hello Peter, you have a very nice build !!

I am currently building an autechnik engine, here is my thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827

I need your help to show me more details about your linkage setup between carb and the main axle shaft. see green circle below:
I have been told I needed the rotule setup but I do not have any of the part yet. Do you know where I can get them ?

thanks for help.

Jerome

Peter_Plade Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi Jerome very nice set you have there.
My arms for the linkage aren't original, I made my own with baljoints at both ends of a adjustable arm.

grailoc Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 am

Hello Peter,
Do you know what are the jet setup of the 28 PCI carbs for the 36hp engine with an express kit?

I got new jets yesterday and wanted to know if what I got correspond to the right setup.

Here is what I need:

Main Jet size:
Air correction Jet size:
Float size
Venturi size
Emultion tube size

thanks in advance for help.
Jerome

grailoc Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Peter_Plade wrote:

Hi Peter,
I just got a 356 oil filler, the same as yours,
and I would like to know how you were able to fit it on the engine case ?

Do you have a closer picture I can look at ?

thanks for help.

/Jerome

Peter_Plade Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:35 am

grailoc wrote: Peter_Plade wrote:

Hi Peter,
I just got a 356 oil filler, the same as yours,
and I would like to know how you were able to fit it on the engine case ?

Do you have a closer picture I can look at ?

thanks for help.

/Jerome

Hi Jerome
I´ve answered your pm about the oil filler.
About what jets to use, i cant remember which ones I started out with, I´ve done alot of upgrades to my motor over the years and now I´m running 32 Solex´s.
But one thing I always has is having the final adjustment done on a dyno.

grailoc Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 am

Thanks just saw your email, as for the jet I found what I needed .

JeeWee Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 am

are you still running the original heater boxes?

grailoc Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 am

JeeWee wrote: are you still running the original heater boxes?

I would guess so with that setup ?

Peter_Plade Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:55 am

JeeWee wrote: are you still running the original heater boxes?
Yes I am.

GELS Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 pm

What a great thread Peter! It's been great reading, for sure. It just seems to me that once you start upgrading, it never ends does it? :wink:

Peter_Plade Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 pm

GELS wrote: What a great thread Peter! It's been great reading, for sure. It just seems to me that once you start upgrading, it never ends does it? :wink:

Thank you :)
Guess not, next plan is a set of 80mm cylinders.......

Peter_Plade Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:45 am

Motor is still running strong so no real updates, besides I’ve added a Mann fuel filter inline with the fuel pump.