TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
decobugma07 Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 pm

This is my 66 daily drive. My commute to work is 40 miles each way. So, 80+ miles a day.

Alby's Dubby Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:26 pm

djkeev wrote: My commute is about 300 yards. I don't take the Bug, I take the company truck! I really should walk.
And the traffic OMG!! one day I pulled out of my driveway and a car went by!!!! I had to pause before pulling out!!!!! :lol:

Dave

Yeah, walk you lazy man :? and save the world some Pollution.
Paul

solar649 Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 pm

I bought my 62 beetle in april of this year. took about a month to get it running correctly. a week to make it look pretty and then it was time to drive.

Then I put it away two weeks ago for the winter slumber. and start stacking ne parts for the spring.
But in the time I drove it this summer. I put 3500 miles on the car and had a blast driving every mile.

I am going crazy not having my toy to play with. I have grown to love these little cars and the people who also love them.

spring will bring 5 inch shortened front beams, a set of wheel,( smothies or 5 bars. not sure. but want to keep the wide fives. ) A highway flyer trans, and a set of one piece windows, IPOD hook up with amp and speakers in a old suitcase.

Plans for next year are to drive the car from cleveland Ohio to Jacksonville florida a few times, and once to Texas. At least 4k in long trips plus the wonderful drives to the grocery store, getting coffee, and of coarse all the car shows in the area.

BerylGreen63 Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:30 pm

1500 sp
stock
165/145 2.5 spindles and brm repops
ive put about 2000 miles on it since sept

I love driving my commute is less than 10 miles, the best part is watching little kids beat on each other in the back of their moms minivan

Next on the list is a 4" beam and some floor mats

jaye70 Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:26 pm

my intentions were to drive my 70 all the time......but with j pipes and -14 outside........................my t4 is more tempting!................i start it everyday tho........does that count!?

Max Welton Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

jaye70 wrote: my intentions were to drive my 70 all the time......but with j pipes and -14 outside........................my t4 is more tempting!................i start it everyday tho........does that count!?
Only if starting an airplane counts as "flight hours". :lol:

But your type-4 does, right?

Max

Jürgen Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Mine will be a daily driver when I'm finished with it. That's the reason I'm deferring buying a new car to replace my slowly-dying 99 Mercury Sable, which can disintegrate to dust as soon as I'm finished with it, for all I care.

(It's a 1964 sedan, as close to stock as I can make it.)

torsionbar Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

I daily drive my Beetle, because it's a rusty neglected beater car, and I have a very short commute of less than 10 minutes. Winters are cold here, teens and 20's, and that combined with short drives will wear out an engine in no time. Beater beetle is cheap and easy to repair, so it gets to endure the abuse while my nicer cars are reserved for pleasure driving and weekend cruising.

CLASSIC CAR GUY Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Quote: the best part is watching little kids beat on each other in the back of their moms minivan

Yeah the slug bug thing never seems to get old,,, :lol: about a week ago im sitting at a light in my 62' and this new Duramax Gmc pull up next to me, dude in passengers looks over gives me the thumbs up \:D/ , then looks over at his buddy driving, then just whales the dude in the chest,,,lol all i hear is one dude yelling, the others say "hey bro' punch buggy"
,,,lol classic!!

jaye70 Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

Max Welton wrote: jaye70 wrote: my intentions were to drive my 70 all the time......but with j pipes and -14 outside........................my t4 is more tempting!................i start it everyday tho........does that count!?
Only if starting an airplane counts as "flight hours". :lol:

But your type-4 does, right?

Max
felt guilty after reading this thread last night............took her out today......was under 3 feet off snow,so dug out,turn key....off she went!.............had a great time! even with no heaters!............mrs came home and asked if i had worked today.......i said no...and i dont care! needless to say she aint talking to me now :lol: .............dubs for life!!

schoolhouse Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

The high temp yesterday was 16ºF.
Blau started and ran like a champ,
I wore a down coat in the cabin ...

Rostig65 Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Quote: Bad ass holiday card right there.

Thanks azbob. They are going out in the mail this week!

69rulz Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:05 pm

17, drive my 1970 westy about 20-40miles a day, 1600dp out of a 74 ghia, in any weather anytime about 15-21mpg depending on weather and type of driving, everyone knows the "coke" bus(red with white top) wishlist- 1776 with dual kadrons and a mild cam and to have heat haha :D

Lettuce Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 pm

I drive a 74 to school every day, about 15 miles round trip. Two other students and a teacher drive aircooled VWs every day as well.

Dropped Metal Customs Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 pm

when i lived in the UK i had a water pumper as my daily driver polos, golfs, corrados anything VW and the bug was for summer time but since i moved to California all i own is my 52 split and my 60 panel so i do drive them daily :D

AlteWagen Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm

what I find interesting is that with the exception of Everett and Bill May, all of the Samba "gurus" who give all their opinions on what works best on a DD DONT DRIVE AN AIRCOOLED VW DAILY!

They may have 20 years ago, or "bought their VW new from the dealer" but driving daily on todays freeways and dealing with todays parts is a TOTALLY different story.

Props to all of you who drive rain, snow or shine and put your baby in the line of fire on the hell we all know as "the daily commute".

The_whingnut Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:29 am

I try to drive my 65 daily but if i get up late i can't, i don't have time to let it warm up but i do make it a point to drive it every chance i get. once i hammer out some more of its interesting issues i will start using it daily. the trip from the house to my ship is about 7 miles to work and about 15 from work (always take the long way home)

herbie1200 Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:07 am

car: 1963 deluxe, italian version
engine: stock 1200 6V
trans: 12V with 6V axles
tires: 165/15
mpg: 13km/lt
miles: 50km x 2
satisfaction level: very reliable;
wish list: less noise - an higher gearbox ratio - less fuel consumption.

I specify my travel is all at constant 100-110km/h, where speed limits are 130km/h

This beetle is used at least one day a week.

Cramer Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:34 am

Been driving my 66 type 1 daily since October. 20 miles a day or so. Last monday it was 5 degrees in kcmo and it fired up right away.
1776 dual kadrons
stock trans
The people in new beetles get annoying when they see my bug, They freak out like a little kid who just got the mellinium falcon for xmas.
" Oh look honey its a old beetle take my pic next to it. Or lets park next to it" :twisted: [/img]

AXAM Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:10 am

My daily driver is my 63 bug, rain or shine, 260 miles round trip Daily from auburn to san francisco
12v
1600 sp
berg 5 speed
centerline wheels
two speed wiper motor, heaters work, accessory fan for the 100 degree days
(I even have a swamp cooler for it)
car has been very dependable for the ten years since I been comuting in it. I got a RLR cage in trade and installed that for safety reasons.
overall I can't complain. I driven it to LA and back several times also
years back I also comuted in a 57 bug 150 round trip from santa cruz to san francisco daily.