TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vintage photos Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215  Next
drscope Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm

So the split window forum and the oval window forum both have a thread for vintage photos.

How come WE don't? After all a 67 is 44 years old now!

Anybody want to start it off?

Maybe keep in mind they should be VINTAGE photos from when our cars were new or next to new. NOT from last week or last year.

25 years ago or more.

WesleyGarrard Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 pm

I can never get enough of vintage racing photos!

WesleyGarrard Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Here is another at Bonneville

wayne1230cars Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:44 pm

This is a pic of my first beetle, a 1959. The photo was taken in 1972 and no, I am not really towing the wagon behind. This was at a summer camp where I was working.[img][/img]

wayne1230cars Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

This is a photo of my second beetle, a 1967. This was taken after a $29.95 Earl Scheib paint job. I was living in Windsor, Ontario Canada and drove the car over to Detroit MI and actually waited for the car to be painted. They did a quick wash and then 2 women masked the car and then it was painted. Then it was "baked" for 20 minutes or so. Total time was less than 3 hours. I added some stripes and it looked pretty good. This was 1974.[img][/img]

shano63 Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 pm

My first one, a '70 circa 1985

shano63 Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Here's a few more. The red one was also my parents, I believe a '59. The other's were shot at my parent's house, not sure of the year...

That's me in my nana's lap..

Young Bug from G-unit Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:57 pm

shano63 wrote: Here's a few more. The red one was also my parents, I believe a '59. The other's were shot at my parent's house, not sure of the year...

That's me in my nana's lap..

Thats one long antenna on the red one haha nice cars btw

Envious Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 am

My grandfather's car lot in the late 50's

WesleyGarrard Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:46 pm

stale air Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:22 pm

drscope wrote: So the split window forum and the oval window forum both have a thread for vintage photos.

How come WE don't?

There also is another great vintage photos thead ongoing here------------> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352121

check it out!

Keith Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Young Bug from G-unit wrote: Thats one long antenna on the red one haha nice cars btw

All of mine would be that long if I pulled them all the way out. I just push each section in about half way to make the antennae more proportionate and not so much of a "whip"

Blauchen L331 Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Here's an odd license plate on a 1959 "European" car ~ a license plate that is rather hard to obtain, while most were destroyed after their service had expired etc.

*CD* = Corps Diplomatique marked on a vehicle that diplomatic personnel in a foreign country use to drive around with.
I would suspect that these are American, French or maybe even British subjects working in Germany?

I would also expect that the country sign mounted on the rear right side of the car on a bracket from the bumper also has the two letters CD on it as well.
(they are for license plate collectors a very sought after item)

Blauchen L331 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Here's an old slide I found from an Ex-GI who bought this 1960 Artic Blue car "brand new" in 1960

WesleyGarrard Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:00 am

This is my cousin's girlfriend's dad when he was stationed in Germany.

drscope Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 am

WesleyGarrard wrote:

Wesley, you have any information on this photo? I can't for the life of me figure out why these cars seem to be racing around the outter edges of a parking lot.

It's very strange that they would be running this close to paked cars with no barrier between them.

Really cool photo!

pOrk Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 pm

drscope wrote: WesleyGarrard wrote:

Wesley, you have any information on this photo? I can't for the life of me figure out why these cars seem to be racing around the outter edges of a parking lot.

It's very strange that they would be running this close to paked cars with no barrier between them.

Really cool photo!

Safety guildlines were different 40 years ago my friend :twisted:

WesleyGarrard Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I dont have any info but it looks to me to be the LeMans start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIfHI6OUPw

Jump up to 1:40 to see it

61SNRF Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:59 am

Here I am circa 1975 sitting on the 61SNRF. hadn't had it too long, it still has the temp registration in the window. Had to sell the '49 Chevy to finance to Bug...

Blauchen L331 Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 am

WesleyGarrard wrote: This is my cousin's girlfriend's dad when he was stationed in Germany.

Kool US Army in Germany base photo.......was this Warner Kaserne in Munich? (outside MP station?)

Diggin that NSU Sport TT in the background, they were stupid fast little cars back in their day!