TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
insyncro Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Awesome Paul :!:

VWhead Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Quote: silversyncro
Quote: Thats EXACTLY how I have my stage two exhaust set up as well!
Question though...since I believe you live in Cali...
Were you able to pass your inspection with that CAT? My understanding was that they only accepted original equipment for your smog cert?

Factory cats are pretty bucky! I just replaced mine with one that looks just like yours & saved like $500 !

Your right. The original equipment cat (stage 1) exhaust system is needed for California Smog certification. This our new stage 2 high flow exhaust that is used for "offroad use" or 49 state customers.

Quote: SyncroGhia
Quote: Looks very tidy and I like the engine lid clearance idea.

If I hadn't already started down the paths that I have with all of my projects... this would probably be at the top of the list.

1.8T 20V engines are all over the place in the UK!

Nice work.

MG

That's good to know that there's alot of 1.8T 20V engines over on your side of the pond!

Quote: Dredward
Quote: Looks great Paul!!!!!

Quote: insyncro
Quote: Awesome Paul :!:

Thanks for all your positive comments guys!

VWhead Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Another 1.8T Hits The Road!!! This time it's an 88' 2wd Westy headed to Syncrofest!!!

Tristar Eric Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm

That has to be the most elegant way to raise the lid without intruding too much. Nice and clean, can't wait to see it.

VWhead Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks Eric

I'll give you the tour at Syncrofest! :wink:

VWhead Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Finnaly got a chance to smog my own 1.8T Westy today!

This month it was due for it's biannual California smog renewal. The engine has been running perfectly since March.

So this morning was my appointment to see the California smog referee at the local junior college.

Here's what took place:

I handed him my registration paper and told him I was here because I changed my engine in my Vanagon. He then asked me "what kind of engine? I told him it's a 1.8T from a 03' VW Jetta. He looked at the engine and confirmed. Meanwhile his students recognized me and my 1.8T conversion from the previous van that I had brought there. They said " you did another one!" They all gathered around to see the result of my work. I then pointed to all the smog equipment and the factory catalytic converter.

The ref proceeded to do all the visual checks and I was there to answer his questions. Meanwhile his students were checking for fault codes and making sure all readiness monitors were set.

The ref then took some pictures of the exhaust system and it was approved immediately by his regional manager.

They then did the tail pipe emission test and it had the results of a well tuned 1.8T Jetta! The ref looked at me and said "your gonna pass smog and receive the California BAR label!"

The experiance was painless and gave me a great feeling of accomplishment. Another 1.8T hits the road! Cali legal style!

Beetsport Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Congrads Paul! It's a great feeling walking out of the California Referee Center with approval in hand :D They seem to dig what we do...

VWhead Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Stephan!

Yes it is a great feeling when you get a Cali BAR label! :D

They should give us a pat on the back for making the air cleaner! Lol

Beetsport Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 pm

VWhead wrote: Thanks Stephan!

Yes it is a great feeling when you get a Cali BAR label! :D

They should give us a pat on the back for making the air cleaner! Lol

What? They didn't give you a "pat"?? LOL!!

ib-bus Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Congratulations Paul , what a nice Westy you have there.
It was nice to meet you and your dad last monday at your shop, thank you for getting us back on the road , we made it just fine all the way to Seattle.
Please thank your dad for letting us test drive his Vanagon and hope to see you soon for my own conversion.

Juan.

VWhead Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:05 am

Thank you Juan.
It's really alot of fun building these 1.8T vans!
It was a pleasure meeting you and getting your van back on the road. Glad you and your family had a safe trip!

insyncro Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 am

Nice goin Paul.
I plan to test drive my first 1.8T Vanagon shortly.
Looking forward to it.

floggingmolly Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:04 am

Nice conversions both guys! Yeah, that's what I don't get, if the point was cleaner air, they would make the conversion easier to get thru. I just smogged my stock 1.9 and my allowable limits are an order of magnitude higher than what you show for the 1.8T. That being said, with my new Cat, my emissions are nearly 0 now as well. I love that the new engine is a VW too. Will definitely be considering this one when the 1.9 is at its end.

Nice clean job guys and I like the hatch idea.

Scott

VWhead Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Here's the answer for comfortable sleeping on top of a 1.8T 8)

denwood Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm

wow...super clean install. Can you post of a pic of how the engine accessories are sorted? Trying to figue out how you squeezed AC, alt, power steering, water pump etc. in there. Would love to hear how that sounds too :-)

olivelawn Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm

@VWhead- Did you trim the foam from the back cushion yourself? Notice any difference when laying down on it?

Has anyone tried modding the bed itself to be a 1.5" higher, rather than slicing/dicing the cushion?

VWhead Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Quote: Did you trim the foam from the back cushion yourself?
I have an upholsterer that is working with me. I can't sew! :lol:
Quote:
Notice any difference when laying down on it?
Not at all, you can't feel a thing! It's a sleeper!

goffoz Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 pm

olivelawn wrote: @VWhead- Did you trim the foam from the back cushion yourself? Notice any difference when laying down on it?

Has anyone tried modding the bed itself to be a 1.5" higher, rather than slicing/dicing the cushion?

I tried this on my 86 syncro, with an 88 wolfy interior(narrower bed, side panels table etc. )
Since I was reinstalling everything, I thought "Hey lets do this"
You can fab new blocks for the seat mounts, but then you also need to fab new mounts for the seat back locks. and you need a new board for the seat front...you do gain height in the under seat storage. but it all takes dozenz of hours of fitting and adjusting and installing and un-installing and...
it works, but its alot of work :roll:
The cushion mod is so much easier

dredward Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Nice Paul!!!

VWhead Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Another Cali Legal 1.8T Hits the Road!!!
GMW Style!

Project: Ubercool 90' Syncro Westy 1.8T

Donor: 03' Jetta 1.8T AWP

Freshly built AWP Engine

All transmission work was completed by AA transaxle. Daryl has set up the tranny for a future cooler by drilling and tapping the case in strategic locations.

Two temp sensors are installed. One for the cooler pump and fan and one for a gauge.

California BAR label approval :vw: :vw: :vw: