TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Another 1.8T hits the road !! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
VWhead Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:54 pm

84' Red Doka 1.8T test drive

Tristar Eric Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:32 pm

The red Doka needs flares!

Looking good Paul!

VWhead Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Tristar Eric wrote:
Quote: The red Doka needs flares!

Looking good Paul!

Thanks Eric, I agree they look pretty sweet on my 1.8T Westy

madspaniard Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Sweet video, when are you going to start doing conversions for vans with auto tranny?

VWhead Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm

madspaniard wrote:

Quote: Sweet video, when are you going to start doing conversions for vans with auto tranny?

Thanks
Good question

I'm clearing the operating table for the next conversion, it's an automatic Westy. We have a real nice throttle drive-by-wire/kick down system designed for it. Looking forward to helping out the auto's :)

ThankYouJerry Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

VWhead wrote: madspaniard wrote:

Quote: Sweet video, when are you going to start doing conversions for vans with auto tranny?

Thanks
Good question

I'm clearing the operating table for the next conversion, it's an automatic Westy. We have a real nice throttle drive-by-wire/kick down system designed for it. Looking forward to helping out the auto's :)

Stephan's been doing them. He just reworked/improved the throttle system very nicely! What's your plan for auto R&P?

VWhead Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Quote: Stephan's been doing them. He just reworked/improved the throttle system very nicely! What's your plan for auto R&P?

Yep, I know

R/P all depends on tire size. So why not put a bigger tire on stock R/P?

ThankYouJerry Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 pm

VWhead wrote: ThankYouJerry wrote:
Quote: Stephan's been doing them. He just reworked/improved the throttle system very nicely! What's your plan for auto R&P?

Yep, I know

R/P all depends on tire size. So why not put a bigger tire on stock R/P?

Give it a try. I had a bigger tire (215/65/15 = 26.5") mated to a 3.73. Didn't like it. Curious to hear how another R&P/Tire combo might work out.

Mountain1.8t Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm

What are you 2wd guys running for suspension springs these days? I just installed a 1.8t in my '85 2wd westy with Gowesty 1.5" lift springs, and it appears to be sagging in the back. I believe the 1.8t engine is a bit heavier than the wbx, so I'm wondering what my options are at this point....

I'm not that excited to do spring spacers as I've read that it is not good for progressive spring performance.

I want to keep the van lifted between 1.5 to 2" max.

I want the van level.

Altoona Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Running_Man wrote: What are you 2wd guys running for suspension springs these days? I just installed a 1.8t in my '85 2wd westy with Gowesty 1.5" lift springs, and it appears to be sagging in the back. I believe the 1.8t engine is a bit heavier than the wbx, so I'm wondering what my options are at this point....

I'm not that excited to do spring spacers as I've read that it is not good for progressive spring performance.

I want the van level.

Spacers don't affect the spring performance at all. If you are happy with how it rides, throw some spacers in there.

Christopher Schimke Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Altoona wrote: Running_Man wrote: What are you 2wd guys running for suspension springs these days? I just installed a 1.8t in my '85 2wd westy with Gowesty 1.5" lift springs, and it appears to be sagging in the back. I believe the 1.8t engine is a bit heavier than the wbx, so I'm wondering what my options are at this point....

I want the van level.

Spacers don't affect the spring performance at all. If you are happy with how it rides, throw some spacers in there.

I totally agree (no issues with spring spacers)!

VWhead Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Spacers, it does the trick.