TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ray_V6TDI Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Guys, because this mod never had much demand (so I didnīt sell anything)

and also because no machine shop was willing to manufacture gears for a
reasonable price, I decided to release my Audi-Tiptronic reversal set
into the public domain.
Anyone can now download the zip mentioned below, and I would be happy if
this is spread through the community.

http://www.v6bus.de/Tiptronik.zip

If any Vanagon converted to tiptronic successfully, praise me to at
least show some public domain spirit!
Financial donations also accepted

readme.txt only in german yet.
Basic info in there:
CV joint adapter works with Porsche 924 shafts on one side, needs
another 10mm spacer on the other (I hid that on the outer CV joint).
Folder 1 shows my setup: 40mm teeth on gears, lowered holes for stock
gearbox studs.
Folder 2 show new setup: 38mm teeth on gears, no lowered holes for stock
gearbox studs.

Stay tuned for Audi Brake Adapter data...maybe

Regards
Raimund

240Gordy Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Is this a reverse ring and pinion set for the Audi Tiptronic?

Ray_V6TDI Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Nope, this lets the ring and pinion turn backwards on a 5HP19 ZF Audi gearbox.

240Gordy Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:16 pm

So it works the same as Subarugears modified transaxle?

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Ray's mod reverses the rotation at the part of the trans that directs power to the R&P.

If I had sufficient capital, I'd invest in this excellent mod. It's a perfectly valid approach to keep these German vans all VAG...instead of the direction they're currently heading with all the shillmeisters on this site.

zak99B5 Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

So, this would mean I could install my 1.8T and tip tronic tranny from my B5 Passat into the vanagon and go forwards?

I can't open the file in the original post with my iPad.

furrylittleotter Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Sounds very cool. Sorry more people werent interested in funding the endeavour.

This is the first I have heard of it.

I do believe the Tiptronik is considered to be a very stout transmission.

Hopefully someone will pick up the projekt and throw some money and applause your way.

I do applaud your efforts. Seems like a nice, simple solution.

Neil2

pedrokrusher Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Thank you very much Raimund for the file!
I want to do something transmission wise, but i am not set on the direction i will take.
This option is very interesting...
We communicated years ago, but your set was not available.
Maybe now it can come to reality...

zak99B5 wrote: I can't open the file in the original post with my iPad. it does not open on my ipad too.
But managed to open some files on my laptop.

240Gordy Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:18 pm

This is my dream gearbox for my vanagon

Ray_V6TDI Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:54 am

Original Gearbox end:

My solution since 2006:

Orignal:

versus

all on the net:
www.v6bus.de

240Gordy Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:57 am

Thanks for that, makes sense now, just mylimited understanding of that set up

zak99B5 Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:41 am

Looks like well thought-out plan. How many miles have been put on this set-up?

Ray_V6TDI Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:56 am

I made quite exactly 50,000 km with this setup so far.

A german Vanagon friend with the identical setup made over 70,000 km, then gutted the Van and sold the powertrain... still running in another Van (current mileage unknown).

furrylittleotter Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 am

This is such a fantastic, simple setup/ modification.

I thought I had one of the only electronically controlled automatik in vanagon.

Now I know there are 3 more, although I have not wired in paddle shifters for simple manual operation, it is possible like on Tiptronic.

I definitely hope someone picks up this projekt.

Neil2

Ray_V6TDI Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 am

With a friend I converted his doublecab to mid-engine gasoline V6 (Audi 2,8 ) with the same Tiptronic gearbox. It is nicely hidden under the flatbed.

This was before the whole reversal thing was thought of (mid-engine conversion around 2002-2003).

After this doublecab went well, it was clear for me I never wanted to drive a manual in my Vanagon again. However, I didnīt want to sacrifice any load space or rear bench.

So, after looking at a Porsche 5HP19, the rear-engine tiptronic was only a (few) step(s) away...

more doublecab?
Ok...

http://www.v6bus.de/mittelmotor.htm

pedrokrusher Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:42 am

OMG!!!
Incredible doublecab!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

To help us out to see how its done...
Do you have any more pictures of the 5 speed automatic transmission installed in a vanagon? I've always seen partial views, or during fabrication mode pictures. An overal view would help to see the whole package. Also the transmission mounts are on the sides. Was there a metal bar that joins the two sides?

Also, is it possible to fabricate a front mount cover for the transmission? I don't know if the two gears aluminum box housing is strong enough to support the weight?

Feel free to send any pictures to my personal email, and i will add them on the thesamba server... At no cost!! 😄😄😄

[email protected]

Thanks!

hdenter Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:45 am

What a great mod! How hard was the electronic part of this modification? Is there an older trans with a more traditional automatic shifting mechanism that can be modified in the same way? Just finding a 4spd auto that could fit would be a vast improvement over the old three speed.

Hans

Ray_V6TDI Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:56 am

[quote="pedrokrusher"]OMG!!!
Incredible doublecab!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah, I am really proud of that Beauty....thanks!

I got a few more pictures where you can see rear-engine exhaust, gearbox mounts, and engine mounts (mostly hidden behind oilpan etc), all still oily from assembly:

www.v6bus.de/neu.zip

The gearbox mounts are still on both sides, the reversal kit replaces the standard rear-end (front in Vanagon) of the box. No additional weight there, and none of the replaced housing parts are used for mounting gearbox on chassis.

Regards
Raimund

Ray_V6TDI Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

hdenter wrote: What a great mod! How hard was the electronic part of this modification? Is there an older trans with a more traditional automatic shifting mechanism that can be modified in the same way? Just finding a 4spd auto that could fit would be a vast improvement over the old three speed.

Hans

You need ECU of engine, gearbox and cluster. All from same donor vehicle, to have the immo intact. The rest is reading wiring diagrams. Only the fuel tank sender resistance has to be reversed, otherwise full tank shows "empty". So a little soldering needed on the sender itself.

No ECU from other gearboxes, as different gear ratios would result in heavy fault codes and limp home modes (been there).
Thatīs the biggest disadvantage, one would like a shorter gearing for the Vanagon compared to an Audi, but no way!

4-speed? Maybe, but with complete new design of the reversal kit.
And same ECU conditions apply...

pedrokrusher Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Ray_V6TDI wrote: I got a few more pictures where you can see rear-engine exhaust, gearbox mounts, and engine mounts (mostly hidden behind oilpan etc), all still oily from assembly:

www.v6bus.de/neu.zip

The gearbox mounts are still on both sides, the reversal kit replaces the standard rear-end (front in Vanagon) of the box. No additional weight there, and none of the replaced housing parts are used for mounting gearbox on chassis.

Regards
Raimund

Hi Raimund, very very very nice work!!!
Feel free to comment the pictures below.
From the zip file above: