TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shortened Clutch Cable Page: 1, 2  Next
acuozzo Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Does anybody sell a pre - shortened clucth cable...the shortening kit mauls the cable

tgodber Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Yes there are shortened cables available. I used the shortener that bends the cable over and a nut tightens up against it. That broke in 3 months. I used two cable clamps and a piece of !/4 inch threaded rod. That has lasted 9 years.

Here is a good thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465764&highlight=shorten+clutch+cable

Dale M. Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:56 am

A simple solution is just put a 360 degree loop in cable and a couple of cable clamps to hold loop... No cutting, no frayed ends, loop lays on top transaxle and is not a problem...

These people will make any custom length cable you want...

http://push-pull.com/

Dale

acuozzo Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 am

Dale M. wrote: A simple solution is just put a 360 degree loop in cable and a couple of cable clamps to hold loop... No cutting, no frayed ends, loop lays on top transaxle and is not a problem...

Dale

And theres the next question...Anyone have the length to use so I'm not buried on my back under the buggy?

Q-Dog Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:58 am

The length depends on the year of your chassis and how much it has been shortened. You will have to measure to get the correct length.

MrGoodtunes Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:40 pm

tgodber wrote: ...I used the shortener that bends the cable over and a nut tightens up against it. That broke in 3 months...

Me too. Mine broke while in the parking lot of Lowe's home improvement store. So I had a store full of things like threaded rod, long nuts, and good strong but also flexible garage door opener cable. Did the fix right there in the parking lot. That was 1999 and this rig is still holding today.

Dale M. Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:03 pm

acuozzo wrote: Dale M. wrote: A simple solution is just put a 360 degree loop in cable and a couple of cable clamps to hold loop... No cutting, no frayed ends, loop lays on top transaxle and is not a problem...

Dale

And theres the next question...Anyone have the length to use so I'm not buried on my back under the buggy?

Run a piece of (bailing) wire down through tube, loop one end around hook for clutch pedal, and give yourself a few inches past clutch arm at transaxle... Mark or cut wire... The will be your length...

Dale

hopkin Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

I saw this shortened cable on a Dune Buggy at a show I attended a few months ago. If you zoom in on the cable you can how the owner cut the cable and reconnected the shorter pieces:

hillmotorsports Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm curious if he experiences any issues from the lack of Bowden tube....
Any idea of the purpose of the cross cable with the turnbuckle?

hopkin Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 pm

I didn't have a chance to talk with the owner, the picture was taken not too far from you, in Smiths Falls.

But I did get some more pictures of the Dune Buggy:

andk5591 Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:41 pm

How much to shorten the cable is the amount that you shortened the pan. I have done a couple different ways. Our buggy has the loop, and I have done a couple with the clutch cable shortener that you find in the kits, but I dont like the way it stressed the cable if you clamp it with the big nut, so I just snug it some and use 3 of those little cable clamps that Mr Goodtunes used. Have never had one come apart.

saw2 Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Here's what I came up with to shorten clutch cable. Happened to see the cable compression clamp at Harbor Freight. Cut off the eye in bottom of picture. Welded on bolt. Rethreaded stock clutch wing nut to fit. Has been on for about a year no problems at all with a long clutch arm and Kennedy Stage 1 plate.

andk5591 Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 am

Saw - that is clean.....Love it. May try that next time.

Dale M. Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:22 am

Only problem is when ever I see this fix I go to HF site and can never find the silly cable clamp........

But I did find this.. Check out catalog page 1469

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rope-clamps/=13w5dzb

Dale

saw2 Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:24 am

Dale, I agree on trying to find this clamp at Harbor Freight online. I just happened to see it while browsing at my local Harbor Freight store. Seen them and thought maybe it would work for shortening clutch cable with a little work. If I recall it was not very expensive. If it didn't work not out mucn $.

Next time I go into me local H.F. store I'll see if they still have them and if so I'll get and post the H.F. Item #. Incase anyone else is interested.

I know this style clamp is also available at some marine, sailing rigging stores but they are rather expensive.

Goshen Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:49 pm

saw2 wrote: Here's what I came up with to shorten clutch cable. Happened to see the cable compression clamp at Harbor Freight.

I went to HFT and i could not locate the cable compression clamp.. can you post a pic of what it looked like before you cut the eyebolt ?
I think your idea is by far the best one to date...
I enjoy these innovative ideas..

JiI Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:26 pm

They look like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product...e_8481.jpg
Jeff

saw2 Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Yes, that is the exact same one in the posted link above. Still could not find the H.F. Part # online. I will post part# if my local H.F. store still carries them.

andk5591 Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 am

Look for swageless stud. All I had found were stainless ones that were pretty salty....Pun intended.... :lol:

saw2 Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Stopped by my local Harbor Freight today they still stocked the cable fitting.
The H.F item# is 96900. Cost was $7.49. These are also stainless steel. Tried using item number on their website search. There it was. At least with the number if you stop by a H.F. store they can look it up and see if they stock or can get it.

Usually in these stores not many clerks really know what all they stock. They are located with the rolls of wire rope and accessories. Picked another one up myself for parts box.