TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW flat 4 jet ski/boat project Page: 1, 2  Next
vwjetboat Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Was wondering if anyone has a boat project with a VW air cooled in it? I am working on a jet ski / boat

Letterman7 Fri May 12, 2017 4:26 am

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633265&highlight=boatswagon

Epic build

vwjetboat Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

got flywheel for vw jetboat build today.. its off a nissan sentra 96 or so. 10 3/4 inch

panel Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm

vwjetboat Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Neat.. but no wheels are going on mine..

vwjetboat Tue May 30, 2017 2:04 pm

flexplate adapter done

vwjetboat Tue May 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Bashr52 Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 am

So what's the plan for coupling engine to the drive, belt driven? Have you verified that the engine rotation will be in the right direction to drive the impeller?

vwjetboat Wed May 31, 2017 7:29 am

Bashr52 wrote:

So what's the plan for coupling engine to the drive, belt driven? Have you verified that the engine rotation will be in the right direction to drive the impeller? yes it rotates right way.. 3 v belt pulley is the plan at the moment

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am

cool project. It kinda looks like my 11' invader with the top deck removed. I used to run a 40hp Johnson. 50 mph on an 11 ft boat is a thrill, not real fond of those speeds on a PWC though.

I'm missing something though. isn't the motor in backwards? I see the flex plate adaptor, how are you coupling it to the input shaft on the jet pump at the other end of the block?.

vwjetboat Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 am

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote: cool project. It kinda looks like my 11' invader with the top deck removed. I used to run a 40hp Johnson. 50 mph on an 11 ft boat is a thrill, not real fond of those speeds on a PWC though. there will be some slight modifications on hull to give it more of a V shape.. and the nose will be a few feet longer into a point.. Like the old vintage 70s jet boats.. I figure if i have less then 500 bucks in it.. and it moves.. I will crap all over myself just from the stand point of accomplishing it.. The only reason Im doing this.. is we live in treasure beach Florida.. im on the water so to speak.. GF has a Manufactured home on one of the canal's that leads to the ICW 100 yards or so away..

Dr OnHolliday Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Kool project! I'll be interested to see the finished boat.

vwjetboat Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:51 pm

ordered a few more parts for vwjetboat

vwjetboat Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:51 pm

vwjetboat Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:30 pm

well.. I am adding 3 feet to bow.. gas tank will go up here ..

vwjetboat Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:26 pm

you can kinda see were I am going with this a little better now.. it went from 9 feet to 12 feet..

vwjetboat Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:21 am

Started polishing the intakes.. about half way done with 1

vwjetboat Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Well.. crap.. so.. the plan was to build this used 1776 motor.. new bearings cam & lifters & rings.. ya know a CHEAP rebuild because the case is an older H case.. So i do not want to spend a lot of money on it.. .. Well today .. my old boss gave me a motor that was pretty much sitting in the weather but with rocker arms off.. heads got water in intake ports and little in the case but nothing damaging.. well anyway .. the plan was to use this new junk motor for mock up in the boat.. something i could leave in and not worry about weather..but.. turns out.. the case.. is a std main.. std thrust std bore 1600 dual port dual relief AJ case...now WTF. to do. obviously smart thing to do would be use the H case for mock up and build the AJ case.. but dang .. I really do not have the money to do it right.. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i hate being poor.. sometimes.. lol its fun doing things that most could never do with so little like I do.. but dangit.. I want to go boating THIS SUMMER ..

vwjetboat Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 pm

I was asked what I am going to do about the drive system.. and then it dawned on me .. I had a few parts I might be able to do something with and I will be damned.. I think it this will work .. all the lateral force on the belt will be on this front wheel bearing that is still good.. and the love joy off the yellow jet ski. and... so far.. $0 invested in these parts.. once I figure out what ratio the crank and pump need.. I will go junk yard and get.. Id love to put a Harley drive belt on it but they are way to much money .. so two serpentine belts 1 inch wide should do it.. of course with manual tensioner or some sort.. I know the pitch of the prop.. its booked marked someplace 18 degree or something.. so anyone that is into this and would like to take a gander at what pulleys I should prob get then by all means.. ask what ya need..

Letterman7 Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Why complicate things? Why not just put the water jet back in it? RPM's should be close to the original engine at cruise, plus you gain a little bit of torque. Hook it up to a clutch mechanism coming off the crank pulley like you're attempting. Or ... is that what you are doing? You said "prop" and got me thinking you were heading I/O with it.[/b]