TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
scottf1887 Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 pm

So I have a new to me 61 that I took out tonight and pushed home. I let off the clutch from a red light (nothing crazy, but a fun start) and a loud clunk came from my rear end. On each rotation of the axle there is a heavy bind and clunk. In neutral the car rolls just fine, but from motor power I get the crazy clunk and it'll lock up and stop. For what it's worth it's a 180 how 2387 with a 3.88 ring and pinion and super diff pro street box. If it helps I can try to get a video, I'm just hesitant to run it again. I know it has stock axles so I'm thinking and hoping it's those or the fulcrum plates. I've mostly had stock bugs so this is a new one to me. Thanks!!

scottf1887 Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Also, it's a solid mounted transaxle that really hasn't been lowered much.

scottf1887 Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Below is a link to a video of it under a load. You can see/hear the clunk a bit under the noise of the motor.

https://youtu.be/9Z9m4Vn4xtI

Dale M. Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm

First thing I would check on is torque on both rear axles.... People sometime don't torque them properly and it will allow a axle to spin inside brake drum (eats the splines) and it resemble a broken axle or some other no-go situation.....

Axles should be torqued to 217 ft-lbs, and go tighter till castle nut aligns with hole in axle shaft for cotter pin...

If that does not resolve situation, yes you will need to go deeper...

Dale

scottf1887 Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks Dale. I'm going to dig into it tomorrow. The only thing that really concerned me is that a a certain point in the rotation the car won't even move. I'm really hoping it's not inside the gear box, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

esde Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Had you driven the car before?

scottf1887 Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Yeah. I've only owned it for a week but I've probably put 50 easy miles on it around town with no noises or issues. I've been searching the forums for similar symptoms with no luck.

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am

So the drums were pulled and retorqued, all is good there. While it's up on stands I'm turning the drums while it's on gear and all is smooth turning. I'm lost. I'm guessing I need to pull the motor and see if maybe in the bell housing? I doubt it is, but that'll be needed if I need a new trans I guess...any guesses?

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am

jason Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Does it do it at all in reverse? Say if you reverse far. Sounds like diff area or axles to me. Also sounds like loose nosecone but that wouldn’t explain the binding

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Same in reverse. I have it in reverse and spins nice and smoothly....I'm lost

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Well still no luck but just got the motor out. Not the way I wanted to spend my first week with a new car...oh well I'm able to clean up and do a few things better that I noticed before. I'll keep you posted!

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Turning the input shaft with it in gear and a lock/ bind. Let's keep digging!!

DeathBySnuSnu Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 pm

The only times I have had something very similar it was the fulcrum plates at the axle spade.
One had fallen out of place while installing axle in the car. It was pushed up behind the spade.
It all went together as best I could feel with it in car. Like you say...seems to spin smooth by hand.
Car drove back and forth from the college a few times before making sounds simular yours.
Pulled the axle spade out and had crunched up fulcrum plates.

jeffrey8164 Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Look at the clutch and throw out bearing and the arm.
See anything there?

Erik G Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm

yep, thats what I was thinking too, the fulcrum plate or spade end. Time to take the axles out

mcmscott Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Ring and pinion or crosshaft for spiders is coming out. Have you drained the trans oil and inspected the magnet?

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm really hoping it's not the R&P, but we'll see. The chuncks from the drain plug are below. Hard to say what it's from, but they were torn apart pretty good!

scottf1887 Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:19 pm

If that is the case...any good transaxle shops in Central Texas that y'all know of?

mcmscott Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I just shipped one to Bryan (?) Texas last month.