TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Two Glove Boxes Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 am

Nice!

Burlyhammer Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:51 am

andre b wrote: nice clean work :popcorn: I like what I see in the back grounds too.cool stuff
I follow you on Instagram and have been digging all of the 50's and 60's American cars you have been finding lately. Also all of the VWs you come across are incredible.
Much appreciated!

Burlyhammer Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:52 am

German Krew wrote: Nice!
Thanks!

Burlyhammer Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am

More progress:

The inner dogleg did not want to fit. I ended up cutting it in half, and removing about 1/4" from it. Now it fits. The seat pan did not want to fit either, but after some hammer treatment, it now belongs to the bus!

A big issue (I thought) was the E brake/shifter housing. I thought that I destroyed it when I removed the floor. I expected it to resemble the 60-67 housing. I looked for a replacement but only found the later ones. This is what I was working with:

After doing some digging, and looking at the replacement floor, I realized that I had everything I needed:

So I made these:

I just need to prep them and they should be good:

Then on to the drivers side. The parts pile is shrinking.

karl h Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 am

awesome work!

Burlyhammer Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:14 pm

karl h wrote: awesome work!
I just read your thread on the panel you're working on. Looks like you are doing justice to that bus.
Thanks karl h!

Burlyhammer Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:08 pm

I’m hoping that someone can confirm what I am thinking. I believe that the e brake lever in the early buses is cocked off to the passenger side. Is this correct? This looks seriously off to me, but is it?

Thanks in advance!

CaLiBus Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes cocked and new pin shafts are now equipped with zerks! Someone here on samba sells them

Burlyhammer Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:36 pm

CaLiBus wrote: Yes cocked and new pin shafts are now equipped with zerks! Someone here on samba sells them
Much appreciated! I know I used some extreme measures to get the original pin out, but did not think I bent that bracket. I believe Jeremy rock jock has those pins. I got one for our 63 bus they are very nice.
Thanks Calibus!

Burlyhammer Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 am

I started working on the drivers side dogleg. The B pillar was a little tweaked, and the dogleg did not meet it quite right.

A little banging and it fits:

Just to give you an idea, these were the tools I used to get that seam straight. I was wishing that I had a hammer with a vertical blade. I was thinking a hatchet would work perfect for the curved corner. It did. The hatchet is my favorite tool today:

I welded the dogleg to the A Pillar. Now I'm going to try and fit the inner dogleg. Hopefully it fits better than the passenger side one.

Navydave73 Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:50 am

Burlyhammer wrote: More progress:
A big issue (I thought) was the E brake/shifter housing. I thought that I destroyed it when I removed the floor. I expected it to resemble the 60-67 housing. I looked for a replacement but only found the later ones. This is what I was working with:

After doing some digging, and looking at the replacement floor, I realized that I had everything I needed:

So I made these:

I just need to prep them and they should be good:

Then on to the drivers side. The parts pile is shrinking.

I know you like to make your own parts, but.......

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_65331...051DB.html

Okie Adam Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 am

Navydave73 wrote:

This 59 is a little too early for that part. I wonder if the earlier version is available for someone without his fab skills?

Burlyhammer Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 am

Okie Adam wrote: Navydave73 wrote:

This 59 is a little too early for that part. I wonder if the earlier version is available for someone without his fab skills?
I saw the schofield one any yes it’s the wrong year. I believe Thesamba member Jeff Gagnon makes these parts. They look nice. I just figured I would try to make a set. Hopefully they will line up.
Thanks!

Navydave73 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Burlyhammer wrote: Okie Adam wrote: Navydave73 wrote:

I saw the schofield one any yes it’s the wrong year. I believe Thesamba member Jeff Gagnon makes these parts. They look nice. I just figured I would try to make a set. Hopefully they will line up.
Thanks!

You’re both right, i have a 59 made in 58 and there was a lot of 59 things that wouldn’t fit. I’m working on a 60 single cab now, just swapped the roof and used panel bonding adhesive.

Burlyhammer Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 pm

[quote="Navydave73"] Burlyhammer wrote: Okie Adam wrote: Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

You’re both right, i have a 59 made in 58 and there was a lot of 59 things that wouldn’t fit. I’m working on a 60 single cab now, just swapped the roof and used panel bonding adhesive.

Cool truck! Is that a Classic Steel Bodies roof?

Navydave73 Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 am

[quote="Burlyhammer"] Navydave73 wrote: Burlyhammer wrote: Okie Adam wrote: Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

I think BBT sold by Wolfsburg west. It looks like classic steel is using BBT metal also. It comes with a metallic silver weld thru primer. Excellent fit. It is the same source as the 23 window roof i put on my other project last year. There was an article in Hot VWs a couple months ago about how the Belgian company found a place in Thailand to make their metal. Pretty cool article and the metal is spot on so far.

I did an A pillar and front window frame for a friend recently, the a pillar was from Klassic Fab and it lined right up. The window frame from BBT/WW looked too small but when i put in place and forced it a little, it popped in and was a perfect fit.

Burlyhammer Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 am

[quote="Navydave73"] Burlyhammer wrote: Navydave73 wrote: Burlyhammer wrote: Okie Adam wrote: Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

I think BBT sold by Wolfsburg west. It looks like classic steel is using BBT metal also. It comes with a metallic silver weld thru primer. Excellent fit. It is the same source as the 23 window roof i put on my other project last year. There was an article in Hot VWs a couple months ago about how the Belgian company found a place in Thailand to make their metal. Pretty cool article and the metal is spot on so far.

I did an A pillar and front window frame for a friend recently, the a pillar was from Klassic Fab and it lined right up. The window frame from BBT/WW looked too small but when i put in place and forced it a little, it popped in and was a perfect fit.
I am going to replace part of the roof on this bus and the piece came from CSB. It has the silver weld through primer and looks identical to your roof. It makes sense that they all come from BBT. The piece I have is the rear section. I laid it on the roof a while ago to check the fit and it looks dead on. I appreciate the info.
Thanks Navydave73!

Burlyhammer Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:36 pm

The drivers side dogleg is done:

I was hoping that the seat pan would drop right in:

Nope.
Had to do some flexing, but got it in and I’m happy with it. The seat pivot bracket is in too. Ready for the floor!

Burlyhammer Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:21 am

Making progress! The most difficult part is finishing one area before moving on. Front floor is now "done"

Very sad day. This weekend I broke my spoon while pounding on it:

The doors both fit nicely. Moving on:

1970PAKombi Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am

Looks amazing, keep it up. I love watching this thread and seeing a mango stay on the road