Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suitcase stereo
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Suitcase stereo Reply with quote

hey every1. i have been thinking about building a suitcase stereo for my car, and was wondering of those who use them, are you satisfied with them, the way they sound vs. a regular stereo? id like to hear peoples opinion. thanks.
Bret
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: suitcase sterio Reply with quote

I have thought about doing this. Someone please tell!
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the whole thing in a suit case? or just a speaker in a suitcase?

Anton
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all in 1. but i never thought about that, mount the stereo, then just attach the speakers in the case. hmm........ but i still like it all in 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't like proximity of the speakers to the stereo due to the magnets they have. Also speakers do need volume in the enclosure. Depending on the suitcase size you will be very limited. Plus how are you going to operate the stereo unless it's sitting right next to you in the passenger seat.

If you don't wanna cut up the dash or put your head unit into the glovebox another option is to get a hide away stereo with remote which you can place anywhere you want.

http://www.online-racer.com/secretaudio.htm

Anton
63type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: suitcase sterio Reply with quote

I always wanted to put speakers in a small suitcase and set it behind the back seat. Then it would just look like a suitcase and provide the extra sound but still appear stock. I never wanted a blasting whoop-dy-doo sterio setup, just something simple. I'm not sure what Mrblyoung was going for.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking for the exact same thing the person above me is looking for, something moderate that works, but doesnt alter the stock look of the interior of the VW. and looks stealthy, detering theives. am i correct?
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to put speakers in the suitcase, build an enclosure that tightly fits inside and mount speakers to it. you will need to put some foam to prevent suitcase from rattling around the enclosure. It's a cool idea, I seen it done and if you can match speakers to the enclosure volume you have to work with it will sound fine. you can also get a vintage cooler and use it the same way. Heck get a a few purses Very Happy for mids and tweeters!

Anton
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one for sale on thesamba right now, and it doesnt have foam on the inside. so you would havet o build an enclosure and put foam on the outside to make it sound good? that seems like a lot of work. you would think it would be more simple.
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you should put something between the enclosure and the case. better yet just glue the whole thing together or fasten it some way. perhaps you can get Masonite panels and cut em to size. glue them to the inside the case that way you can use small screws to secure outside of the suitcase to the enclosure. Basically if it rattles, all you'll hear is a rattle and it will drive you nuts.

Anton
youngster1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a suitcase record player, already had the speaker. I detached it from the record player and rigged it to play my ipod.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so akokarski, i need to build an enclosure for each speaker, then foam the rest of the inside, then seal it shut? haha. whoa.
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine, it sounds decent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrblyoung wrote:
so akokarski, i need to build an enclosure for each speaker, then foam the rest of the inside, then seal it shut? haha. whoa.

that would be ideal. single enclosure is fine, do a divider. If suitcase is sturdy enough you might not need to. but if it's going to be a subwoofer then yeah, you will need enclosure.

Anton
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt really planning on running a subwoofer, cause if you think about it, not a ton of cars come stock with a subwoofer, and yeah. germanpride's one above looks nice, im not sure if i just want to stick to 6 1/2's, or run a pair of 6x9's also?
ipodjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do one with a small amp and two speakers, then just run my Ipod to it and control the Ipod in the front with me.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about "lunchbox" with speaker out - I have two external speakers in enclosures already.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha......unique.
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a connection for my Ipod through a hole in the top of the suitcase. There's a remote so I don't have to turn around to control it, or the cord for the Ipod is long enough to reach from the front seat.

I used a 4-flat trailer wiring harness so it can be taken out of the car quickly, all it needs is a constant power from the battery, a ground, and a switchable power from the ignition. I put an antenna inside the suitcase completly hidden. It works GREAT!

Oh, and I almost forgot, I still need to put the 6x9s in, as well as seperate the halves of the suitcase so I can use one side for storage for tools and spare parts.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well germanpride, once i get all my parts, your gonna get an email, cause im gonna wanna see more pics of how you wired yours up, and have it put together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: