TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why busses? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
scottf3334 Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm

It started with an old rusted bug in my neighbors yard that I bought with $200 made working at Dairy Queen after school.

Then it was another neighbor who gave me Muirs Idiots guide and helped me rebuild the engine.

Then my friends bought bugs and we all learned from each other how to work on them. (None of us could afford a mechanic, but we all had the idiots guide stored opposite the battery under the back seat).

I always wanted a bus got one when I got a full time job. A 75 bay window. (wanted a split, but couldn't find one)

A new world opened up, more than one person could ride with me. I could stop at garage sales. Furniture moving wasn't an issue anymore. I could just pull over and sleep when I wanted.

My friends and I were always going somewhere.

Fast forward to now.

The kids have girlfriends/their own lives and don't want to go anywhere with us anymore. Which is sad, but I totally understand. I'm learning to let go and let them make their own life. They are good guys, I'm proud of them

On our last family summer trip we saw a blue and white split in Custer South Dakota. We all oggled it in the parking lot and watched a man with a 5ish year old boy drive away in it.

At that point I had to have one. Don't know if it reminded me of my family or my family growing up or what. It just seemed right.

Can you buy a new car that is as cool as a bus? When I see one, I know that the person driving does there own work or someone really loves them :D The bus speaks loads about them before you even see them.

There are just 2 cars that I would pull up to a posh hotel ,swanky business meeting, real estate auction etc... A classic mini or a split window bus.

BulliBill Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

After just finding and reading this entire thread, I am smiling and enjoying a warm fuzzy feeling. We're all family, we're all Bus drivers... and we'll always be Bus drivers.

Of my eight Volkswagens, three are Splity Transporters, and one a Vanagon Westy. I've owned VWs since I got my drivers license in 1969, I've always had at least one, and made the leap to Splitties in 1984 (still have that Campmobile) and have only added more ever since. Very addictive, they are all close family members to me. Over the years while maintaining them, I've run my hands over almost every inch of each of them and I know them well. I can't imagine life without my fleet downstairs in that big garage! Anything they need, I'm happy to get for them, and they make me very happy in return anytime I'm out driving them.

Bill

abritinthebay Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 pm

For me, and others I know, it's about the style - the split-screens are wonderful looking - swooping lines, amazing looking vehicles.

They are not only stylish though - they are so evocative of many things: the era, the camping ideals, etc.

The early bays are nice, but not a patch on the split screens for a total package in my opinion.

dawerks Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 am

Buses have made me a fanatic. I drive a bus to my garage, carrying bus parts to work on my buses. After working on them, and spending time with family catching up on life, I spend my time reading, learning, dreaming and scheming about buses.

Why?
"A narrow view sees better"
"Faith is purest when it is unquestioning"

I don't need to question why, I just do, and it's fun fusing metal together. :) It's addictive taking junk and turning it into something wonderful.

brownie Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:06 am

i have had about 12 vw beetles in the past 20 years and have got my first split bus about 3 years ago i still have 3 beetles but i tell you what theres no feeling like driving a split window bus down the road its just a different feeling i would trade all 3 of my beetles for another spilt any day!!

Thomas Pedigo Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:08 am

I also enjoy letting other construction workers know when asked,that my Singlacab has a one-ton hauling capacity. They can't believe it,as they look back at their new 1/2 ton chevy,ford or dodge... 8) "oh ya,and the motor has 60horse too" :lol:

deadwesty Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Many good stories here!

When I was born, my parent bring me home from hospital in a 69 bug-which my mom still has.

Growing up, I always wanted a bug. But when I am a senior, I decided to buy a 72 bus instead cuz I wanted to travel. The day after my graduation, I moved in my bus and lived in it for a year. Been to 42 states during the time. One of best times.

My cousin had a 60 panel during the time and I rode in it. It felt so much more primitive. He went on a shasta trip and couldnt stop talking about the trip. I only had a bay. Next year, he got another bus for the shasta trip. Then he was nice enough to let me borrow his 60 panel for the trip!

So all of my "first" experience with a split bus was on Shasta Snow Trip! What a better way to be exposed to the sickness? :D Since then, I had 5 different split buses and never looked back! I still own a 59 bug though.