Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Well. . . . That Was Interesting.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Well. . . . That Was Interesting. Reply with quote

From El Centro, I got bored and told the AutoZone people that I was going to drive to San Diego instead of waiting for a regulator. Camped somewhere in some suburban mall wasteland near Orangekoi. Had a leisurely run/morning coffee and started the car to get to Orangekoi's by 9:00 AM. Noooooo. Car will not start, it is 8:00AM. Push the car up a short hill to enjoy a long downhill push start. It fired for a couple of seconds and i was ready to hit the road except that it stalled at the bottom of the long hill. Damn. Forgot to insert my fuel pump hotwire from the day before that allowed me to get from Yuma to San Diego with no charging system.

First angel of the day was Carlos The Ford Ranger guy who gave me a jumper cable start. We chatted haltingly in Spanish while his battery helped mine. He gave me directions to AutoZone where I was going to replace the third solid-state regulator from AutoZone under warranty. By the time I got to AutoZone I was learning a few things like, don't apply the brakes, the brake lights will stall the engine, and don't use the turn signals either. Autozone provided me a new regulator free, and a booster battery, and I called Orangekoi to tell him I would be about 15 minutes late. Unfortunately, the new regulator solves nothing. Then, Cathy at AutoZone unfortunately sent me the wrong way down Rancho Santa Fe. 8 miles later, the engine is backfiring and dying as the fuel pump then the coil give up.
On an uphill two lane left turn, the car dies for good. I escape across three lanes of traffic to the local JiffyLube where I meet Angel 2, Matt With The Range Rover. Matt offers to come over to the intersection to give me a jump start after his lube is done. I run across traffic again to find Mr. BMW 330 and his 6 followers waiting through what must have been three complete traffic light cycles. I tap on his window to inform him that the VW in front of him with the deck lid open and the cables all splattered on the pavement is not moving. He doesn't quite get it. I show him how to get around a Disabled Car, his followers following dutifully. Matt gives me a jump start and while we are charging my battery, we call Orangekoi on Matt's cell phone (boy, those cell phones sure are neat) to tell him that I am far west and the Thomas Guide doesn't show his address. Orangekoi mentions that our prior directions will indeed pan out, it is a very new development, but that he would be happy to hunt me down. I bid Matt goodbye and hit the road with a promise to my poor battery to not use the brakes or turn signals. I spy Orangekoi across an intersection as I blow the light with my hot rear brakes and try to keep my momentum up the hill should the battery decide we're done. Now I have a big downhill and my directions flapping on the seat next to me as I realize the engine is doing the backfire warning and noooo brake lights are allowed. Poor ebrake. I beat Orangekoi home just as my battery is pretty much done again.
10:30AM starting time, no so bad. Had a marathon with Orangekoi, he'll post about that. At 10:30 PM, my battery is charged and I try to get to Santa Monica so I can use my uncle's car and garage to find a regulator. Driving on the I-5 at night with no lights is OK, easy enough to see, but Mr. Law Man suggests that I give it up for the night, the car obliges by stalling out at Fetzner's Paint & Supply. Next morning, angels 3 and 4, Dan and Rafael, allow me to use the company phone to track down an alternator.
No alternator to be found, no $149.00 for me anyway. Finally get mad and decide to troubleshoot the very strange symptoms. I pull the alternator out of the car and button up the engine so I can drive it with no alternator. But wait. Gen light is still flickering when engine is off and ignition is on. More strange, the heater blower turns on when engine is off. I think, damn, it is a short in the car's wiring. Dan and Rafael and Mr. I Used To Own One Of Those come out to confound my diagnosis track. I am irritable with the mystery of the gen light flicker WITH THE BRAKE WARNING LIGHT. Turning on the heater blower makes the light glow steadily with the ignition off. WTF? I have the alternator sitting on the luggage compartment floor with jumper cables to it, hot wire to heater relay, fusebox hanging, test light and ohmmeter tangled and the Bentley opened on the tool box. The gen light flickers like a Christmas tree light. . . with no alternator or regulator plugged in. . . Cool

And there is a very good reason why. . .which I will explain tomorrow. Right now, Bottomend and I are going to a blues jam evening out.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be waiting with open eyes to find out just what oddball screwy thing is causing *that* light flicker. Very Happy You & Grease can handle anything that could possibly come up, as long as there's some wonderbread to wipe the dipstick with.
Elwood-Bluesvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-what sweet dreams Elwood and I will have tonight - just knowing all is right in the world of the truly caring air-cooled - blues loving dudes of the universe.

The sage is burning in tribute to the union.

xoxoxo Ellie
panasonic90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, I can't wait to read how the story ends.... Shocked
74 bay ambulance
type 4 2lt carbs engine
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a "one Frustrated Mechanic and a Poorly Bus..." thread! Hope it was fixed in the end. I take it this is not your usual bus?
Rust Collector.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Well. . . . That Was Interesting. Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
. . .which I will explain tomorrow.

Hey, just cuz Rez does that crap doesn't mean YOU can. Razz
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the brake light flicker with the oil light i think (maybe it is gen?)... will have to check today... no one could ever seem to tell me why that happens... anxiously awaiting the rest of your story Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dingo
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Push the car up a short hill ..

In a strange synchronicity, i found myself pushing my Westy yesterday. Fortunately it wasnt up a hill...after filling up with gas, i heard the lethargic groan of a dead battery. My dad had a bad back and my dog was not taking orders...so i got to experience attempting to move the full weight of a Westy...its amazing how much strength you can summon when you absolutely need it !!
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy man. I guess me-kanikals break, causing Important Lessons for all of us....
Keep us posted, it's nice to hear what the hell is going on with you out there, feels like you turned to vapor once you left the safe confines of NY. Plus the whole collective conciousness of the Samba can provide extra momentum!
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Well. . . . That Was Interesting. Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
By the time I got to AutoZone I was learning a few things like, don't apply the brakes, the brake lights will stall the engine, and don't use the turn signals either.

Why didn't you pull the fuses?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one push a bus up a "short" hill. That makes no sense to me. Musta been one of those stubby buses.

Quote:
its amazing how much strength you can summon when you absolutely need it

MUST GET BUS TO SIDE OF ROAD Shocked Then you turn into the hulk.

[/quote]
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Well. . . . That Was Interesting. Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:

Why didn't you pull the fuses?

Because IF some distracted person should have come bearing down on me, I would have most certainly utilized the brake lights Very Happy
Colin
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And stall so you can't get out of the way? That must have been a hair raising experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin,
Why didn't you take one of my many regulators, alternators with you when you were at the garage? I thought you had all you needed for this voyage.
Let me know and I can overnight you parts- will just need an address.

Good luck on the journey!
Cook911411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put roasted my third autozone regulator, Just bought a bosch unit for 38.00 couple days ago
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Colin,
I thought you had all you needed for this voyage.

I do. My brain. I refuse to cart around What-If's. I am ever more aware that any *replacement part* I put on the car, becomes the new weak link Shocked After 26 years of this cross-country driving, I have had to replace two regulators, one alternator, a master cylinder, and the r/f brake caliper. That's it. That is all. The regulator, master cylinder, and caliper replacements did not kill the car and wasted only a little of my time. The alternator only bit my ass because I thought it was the regulator! Alternator rebuild took three hours out my travels. So, all-in-all, I wouldn't trade in the adventure of meeting people in a state of desperation.The weight savings alone has paid for the trouble in greater gas mileage HEY, BUT THANK'S FOR YOUR OFFER Very Happy
Colin
kinewords
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta hand it to ya, Colin...your stories are priceless. Truly an adventure.

I have a proposition for ya...I want to write a screenplay based on your travels. I've been planning a few different dub-tales as of late, and your adventures seem to just scream for the screen.

what do you think? I'm in OC - are you planning to be at Doheny this weekend?

kine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: What was it Colin? Reply with quote

I am not having the running, or lack of, issues that you were but when I put my heat control lever all the way down my gen and brake lights come on. The bus runs and charges fine but the headlights surge brightness and if I leave the battery hooked up and don't drive it for a day it's dead. Didn't find the warning light issue till I was working on my heat the other day. Now I'm kinda thinking the two are related. Note: my gen light does not come on when I turn the key to the I position. I know I know, I'm getting to it. At least now I know the bulb and connections are good! Lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: