Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wire wheel before epoxy?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Wire wheel before epoxy? Reply with quote

Hello,

Currently restoring a 66 vw bus:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777735

I am sanding all of my doors before epoxy primer and i wire wheeled all the rust off, do i still need te sand it with 80 grit before epoxy or is it good as is?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Instagram page:

yannicks_splitbus_project

Always there to help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheel before epoxy? Reply with quote

I would run over the easier to get areas with a DA just to even the scratch out, it will probably stick fine.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheel before epoxy? Reply with quote

I've always roughed up any surface that has been wire wheeled. I just feel that wire wheeling polishes the surface a bit too much.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire wheel before epoxy? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I've always roughed up any surface that has been wire wheeled. I just feel that wire wheeling polishes the surface a bit too much.
This, and most epoxy brands recommend 80# on a DA.
Hit the metal with 80# using a DA sander or by hand, blow it off with compressed air, clean it thoroughly with wax & grease remover until the cloth comes up clean, then hit it with 2-3 wet coats of epoxy. The first coat of epoxy should be lighter to prevent cratering and provide a good bond to the metal. And don't use any acid treatment if you plan to use epoxy.

I did an adhesion test and found that epoxy stuck well to smooth metal. You can read about it here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789397&sid=84958a4c935cbe6cdd1c647db93ca48b
Regardless, I would not do that in the real world.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: