Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Ima, contact Daniel Swirvin Irving on Facebook. He would probably have the shelf you need for the vert. Tell him Tim Donahoe sent you.

Tim

Thanks for lead.

L
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

I love Compu-Fire ignition modules and their knock-offs. But the Compu-Fire coil I bought on Sept. 18 died last week. The good news is CIP1 is replacing it free of charge, and offered me store credit or a refund instead. I went w/the replacement, what the heck. I had to send them picture evidence that the coil was "no longer usable." They wanted proof I destroyed the bad unit before agreeing to the refund options.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Insane - just sold for $80K!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-super-beetle-convertible-23/#comments-anchor

The one for sale on thesamba is a "bargain" now.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-super-beetle-convertible-23/#comments-anchor

Ridiculous to me but I know people will often pay big money for a "museum piece" low mileage car like that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vamram wrote:

Ridiculous to me but I know people will often pay big money for a "museum piece" low mileage car like that.

IDK. We all know the high costs of everything these days. What would it cost to do a concourse, body off restoration to a used 1979 VW convertible bug these days at a top restoration shop? I'm thinking it could be close to this $80k number, if not more. And, it wouldn't be close to the originality of this low mileage vert.

I dropped $30k in my 1969' vert body off restoration 25 years ago and I did all the mechanical and body work. I paid a shop $2k to paint it as they did me a favor for all the business I sent them.

Trust me, I remember the 1970's, 80's pricing for VW's and their parts. It is shocking how expensive things are for our VW's these days! Shocked

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
whodunititmate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Is it just me or is it near impossible to find "good/decent" quality repo parts for something as simple as tail light lenses? Since owning my Bug (bit over 15 months now) I've purchased at least 6 sets of repo tombstone lenses to replace my poorly (genuine) originals that have well and truly seen better days. None of the repo lenses fit the chrome trim properly, are all poorly moulded with flash/excess material all around the perimeter and to top it off the one set I did manage to get to fit properly was unusable after 3 months because the amber part of the lens for the indicators was bleached clear by the sun (car spends the majority of its life undercover). I've since fixed up the OG ones and put them back on the car.

Even basic stuff like seals I've found it hard to get good quality parts for. Bonnet and door handle seals from Wolfsburg West feel terrible in the hand and split after a month or so. Anyone know where I can get these parts that are actually decent quality?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2666491

1970 Beetle Price: $8500

Shit, more like $850 0
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

whodunititmate wrote:
Is it just me or is it near impossible to find "good/decent" quality repo parts for something as simple as tail light lenses? Since owning my Bug (bit over 15 months now) I've purchased at least 6 sets of repo tombstone lenses to replace my poorly (genuine) originals that have well and truly seen better days. None of the repo lenses fit the chrome trim properly, are all poorly moulded with flash/excess material all around the perimeter and to top it off the one set I did manage to get to fit properly was unusable after 3 months because the amber part of the lens for the indicators was bleached clear by the sun (car spends the majority of its life undercover). I've since fixed up the OG ones and put them back on the car.

Even basic stuff like seals I've found it hard to get good quality parts for. Bonnet and door handle seals from Wolfsburg West feel terrible in the hand and split after a month or so. Anyone know where I can get these parts that are actually decent quality?

As you're (sadly) discovering, many (if not most) of the cheap and readily available aftermarket parts for classic ACVW's are pretty much complete crap nowadays. They all too often don't fit right, don't work right, and/or don't last. Luckily, good parts can still be had, but it usually takes some significant homework and $$$ to locate and procure them.

In addition to Wolfburg West's offerings, you might check out West Coast Metric, Bug City, etc. for aftermarket parts. E.g., I ran into the same problem as you with WW's door handle seals -- they were hard plastic, and didn't last long before splitting. I later tried a set from WCM -- those were of much better quality, and have held up fine for several years now.

Original German parts, either NOS or in good used condition, are often your best bet (e.g. like you noted for light lenses). Outfits like Airhead Parts, Bug City, and various VW wrecking yards will often have these. The Samba classified ads can also be a good source for parts, both new and used. Make sure you buy from vendors who stand behind what they sell, and will give you a refund for any parts that don't meet your expectations.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Costa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2668239

They can't be serious...
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

I just spent $72.00 (incl. tax) at the dealer for a pair of MOPAR windshield-wiper blades for my 2020 Jeep JLU.
Stop whining!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Costa66 wrote:

They can't be serious...

I guess Baha's are rare in Alaska Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

stagewex wrote:
I just spent $72.00 (incl. tax) at the dealer for a pair of MOPAR windshield-wiper blades for my 2020 Jeep JLU.
Stop whining!

$6.90
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801173002169.ht...pt=glo2usa

$17.70 from Mopar
https://www.moparonlineparts.com/part-ymm/2020-jeep-wrangler-jl-wiper-blade.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Costa66 wrote:

They can't be serious...

I guess Baha's are rare in Alaska Wink

Painted w/that old skool "flesh tone" crayon.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
whodunititmate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Late Model/Super and parts for sale Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
whodunititmate wrote:

As you're (sadly) discovering, many (if not most) of the cheap and readily available aftermarket parts for classic ACVW's are pretty much complete crap nowadays. They all too often don't fit right, don't work right, and/or don't last. Luckily, good parts can still be had, but it usually takes some significant homework and $$$ to locate and procure them.

In addition to Wolfburg West's offerings, you might check out West Coast Metric, Bug City, etc. for aftermarket parts. E.g., I ran into the same problem as you with WW's door handle seals -- they were hard plastic, and didn't last long before splitting. I later tried a set from WCM -- those were of much better quality, and have held up fine for several years now.

Original German parts, either NOS or in good used condition, are often your best bet (e.g. like you noted for light lenses). Outfits like Airhead Parts, Bug City, and various VW wrecking yards will often have these. The Samba classified ads can also be a good source for parts, both new and used. Make sure you buy from vendors who stand behind what they sell, and will give you a refund for any parts that don't meet your expectations.

Thanks for the tip off for West Coast Metrics, I've had a look through their website and the stuff they sell looks to be pretty good. I'll have to investigate postage to Australia and take it from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91
Jump to:
Page 91 of 91

Jump to: