Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

16 in carrot rims with 215 x 55 x16 Michelin crossclimate 2 tires

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
danbeerpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

looking for reviews from those of you with Falken Wildpeaks. looking to upgrade my 1986 2wd's 14" stock steelies to 16", and before i choose a wheel i'd like to get some insight from those of you that have used the wildpeaks. i've got a small group of friends with a variety of vehicles (landcruisers, subarus) who swear by them, and i've got winterpeaks on my wifes vehicle for snow tires and i love them.

can i roll with wildpeaks on 16's without affecting my gearing or speedo? should i be looking for 15" wheels instead? i see a couple posts in the search of this thread, but they're a few years old

thanks in advance,
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danbeerpig wrote:
looking for reviews from those of you with Falken Wildpeaks. looking to upgrade my 1986 2wd's 14" stock steelies to 16", and before i choose a wheel i'd like to get some insight from those of you that have used the wildpeaks. i've got a small group of friends with a variety of vehicles (landcruisers, subarus) who swear by them, and i've got winterpeaks on my wifes vehicle for snow tires and i love them.

can i roll with wildpeaks on 16's without affecting my gearing or speedo? should i be looking for 15" wheels instead? i see a couple posts in the search of this thread, but they're a few years old

thanks in advance,

I'm not able to give you in-site to your tire brand selection, but I see you also posted on another thread asking for thoughts.
I'm just gonna mention some stuff to give you something to consider or muddle about.

Background; My van had the original 14inch alloys, and when it came time to replace the tires, I was not happy with the choices or prices.
Also, my speedo read about 8mph fast and my odo was off.
I was also told more than once, that a stock van is gonna have trouble moving a larger whee/tire combo.

I managed to find some 15inch factory Audi alloys. They required machining out the center bores, spacers and longer bolts/studs and nuts. I did replace my front bolts with studs.
I wanted tires that were just slightly larger dia than the stock 14inch size, and chose 205/70-15. At the time, there was a wonderful selection of tires. The new tires (load rated) made my speedo/odo much closer to true, and my stock van had no problems moving them. In fact, handling and ride was better.
AND! The new tire/wheel combo with the spacers, weighed about 2lbs LESS than the original 14inch alloys!!

Then, some yrs later, I managed to find some nice 16inch factory Mercedes alloys. These only needed the lug holes drilled out. No spacers needed, the lug nuts happen to be the same as the Audi's, and the previously installed longer studs were fine, I was good to go.
UNTIL! I went in search of load rated tires in the size I was wanting, 205/65-16.
This was during the pandemic, so, things MIGHT be different now, but I had VERY few choices I was willing to entertain.
Ultimately, I did manage to find load rated tires in a brand that I was happy with. The new 16inch combo's are about the same weight as the 15's with spacers, and my speedo/odo are now very close to true.

Ugh, too much writing, think I need a nap....
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

do.dah wrote:
danbeerpig wrote:

thanks in advance,

UNTIL! I went in search of load rated tires in the size I was wanting, 205/65-16.
This was during the pandemic, so, things MIGHT be different now, but I had VERY few choices I was willing to entertain.

I've posted about these before but it's worth repeating in this quote. Great load rating, very reasonably priced.

That tire between two in the stock 14" size, a worn Wynstar on the left and a replacement spare Nexen.

Here mounted to a 16" Mercedes CLK alloy that needed only to have the lug holes drilled out.

No Wildpeak inifo for you, but I was considering them for my big van project that I sold before it reached the new tire stage.
danbeerpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your replies, greatly appreciated!
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danbeerpig wrote:

thanks in advance,

My next tire upgrade will be the Wildpeak A/T Trail. I have these on my Subaru Outback and just an all around good tire in rain, snow and dirt. They wear very well with tire rotations and are not too loud as the miles rack up.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

to have an idea when switching tire size...

https://tiresize.com/converter/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57
Jump to:
Page 57 of 57

Jump to: