Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Another example the "samba" stepping forward and helping make this a learning experience. thanks'
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Holzy22 wrote:
OK.............
Finally got a break in the weather to test out everything. Was 8'c today so I know the air will be a little more dense than usual.
But.....the parts and secret sauce from Kaddie worked great. Absolutely no hesitation or pausing in the throttle at any point, AFR was constant around 13.5-14.0.
Much better power band with these new carbs and so happy to have them working. I will tweak more once we get to the summer temps.

But all in all, glad to have got these carbs working and performing.

14 on cruise is too rich. You need smaller idles, but get a little more miles on it before you jet again, so you know what you see is right.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Thanks Alstrup, agree, going to wait until I break in the motor a little more before too many more tweaks.

But I was wondering, how do you know, or what does your engine do, when you have too much carb pump travel? I set my at about 8mm of travel, seems to be fine, but would I get more performance with more pump? I assume with more pump (fuel) it would bog and run rough, but do you keep increasing pump till that happens and then dial it back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

No. You do it exactly opposite. Once you are certain that your ignition timing is about right, you reduce pump squirt until the engine hesitates under lower rpm accelleration. Then you increase squirt agian until it runs well. Then you give it ½ to 1 turn more to get a "safety margin" for cold starts, cold days etc.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks, will do!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those that still care, ran the bus/engine for 900 kms on saturday mostly on the highway at 15 celcius air temp (edmonton to jasper). Motor ran great, carbs worked great. The new set up from Kaddie Shack is really working. Dialed the AFR to about 12.5 ish. I cruised at 120-125 KPH no problem, had power on the hills actually passing some cars. The upgrade to the 1935 motor has been awesome, but it likes to guzzle gas.

One issue is the the top covers on the air cleaners from that set up both rattled the themselves free undoing the wing nuts, both were completely off. Kept happening so I will put a lock nut on.

but...... I noticed I was down almost 1/2 quart of oil. I have a breather tube going from the engine to the one air cleaner on the top. When I pulled it all apart it was filled with oil. Can I assume the since the air cleaner cover came off that the oil was being forced still through the breather tube and collecting in the air cleaner (bottom plate) not being sucked in the carb? What happens to this oil normally, seems like quit bit to burn through the air intake on the carb.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Unless you or someone else has changed the gearing/tire sizes drastically in that Bus 120 to 125 km/h is some seriously high RPMs to cruise at. That has to be 4500 to 5000 RPM Man! All day long! The fact that you only went through 1/2 L of oil with newly ringed engine at that speed is amazing! You do not have an oil consumption problem in my view.

As for the oil down the carb... that is the way you set it up and that is what happens when they are set up like that. VW never did it that way(no other car company did either as far as I know). Get your service manual out and check out how VW set it up.

Also at those speeds and that AFR you will be lucky to get better than 15 mpg. It is what it is. A bulky Bus pushing a lot of wind ahead of it. Drop your cruise AFR to the 15.5 - 16 range with the idle jets at 80 to 90 km/h and you should see 19 to 20 mpg.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

This bus is from Brazil and came with that breather system set up. You can see it my older motor pic I have.
I think an AFR above 13.5 will run to hot, don't mind the gas mileage, the price of having power.
Also just pulled the plugs and they are a very nice tan color.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Holzy22 wrote:
I think an AFR above 13.5 will run to hot

That is a deeply ingrained misconception from the racing crowd and is only partly true. The stoichiometric value for pure gasoline is 14.7/1 and that is the value that produces the most heat. Gasoline with 10% ethanol the value is 14.04/1. Those are the mixtures we want to stay away from AT FULL THROTTLE AND FULL LOAD! Either side of these values will run cooler. You will find that modern engines in cars are all set up to run leaner than stoichiometric at cruise.

I personally have been running my light cruise mixtures at 15.5 to 16 AFR now for 3 years with no adverse effects.

All that said I don't think that your Bus would really benefit from a light cruise mixture as 120 - 125 km/h would put you hard into the heavy cruise range. I hope you are monitoring oil and head temperatures closely. For your purposes that would be the most important for engine life.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

As for what came on that Bus from Brazil, what is factory and what someone may have done after the fact, I have no idea. All I know is that all of the VW factory crankcase vents that I have ever seen had an small oil separator built into the oil fill unit, one large outlet that went below the engine (the draught tube) and a smaller outlet that went up to the DIRTY SIDE of the air cleaner.

Any oil mist that escaped the oil separator either went down the draught tube (yes the odd drop on the ground was normal) or up to join the oil that was in the dirty side of the oil bath air cleaner. The way most set them up today and yours is no exception, any oil mist including combustion by products (water and the resulting acids) go directly into the CLEAN side of the air filter to contaminate, stain and corrode the carb on their way down the intake.

If you are happy with that then carry on. Seeing as I am not running an air cleaner that has a fitting on the OUTSIDE of the air cleaner element I am only running with a draught tube. I value my carbs too highly to put oily combustion sludge through them. If that were my engine I would at the very least put some sort of a catch can before the air cleaner fitting so you can drain off the muck.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Agree with not liking dirty oily air going into the carbs. Do you have to have vacuum suction (tubes attached to the carbs) to pull that stuff out of the engine like all the breather kits have, or could you literally just run a hose off of it into a catch basin of some sort.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

I don't have any vacuum hose on either of my air cooled engines. Just the stock oil separator as supplied by VW and a draught tube. Nothing to the air cleaners at all. Yes you could build a catch can of some sort, a soup can with a steel wool pot scrubber in it, place it so it drains back into the engine or just remember to empty it now and then.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

@oprn Curious to see what that stock part looks like. I googled forever and just found aftermarket stuff. Do you have a pic?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

I will as soon as it gets light outside.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Here is a stock one, note that there is two outlets the sum of which would flow more than double the air that most aftermarket ones will. The small one went to the atmosphere side of the air cleaner so in actual fact there was likely never any real vacuum generated except perhaps at full throttle high RPM conditions. Even then it would be very little.

The same is true for your present system. The only time a vacuum would be created is if and when your air cleaners cannot flow as much air as the engine is demanding.

It's hard to see but there is actually oil separation baffles in it.

Many believe that by hooking the hose to the air cleaner they have a positive crankcase ventilation system but it is not technically true. A true PCV system takes clean air from the air cleaner into the crankcase, then pulls it back out at another location, through a PCV valve and into the intake manifold BELOW the carb. The only air cooled VW that did to my knowledge is the type 4.

Last edited by oprn on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Over here where the 1600 engine persisted to the end of production, around 1974 the draft tube was deleted and the breather to the dirty side of the aircleaner was doubled in area.
Not stock hose but..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

They may have done that here too in the later years. The newest ones I ever owned was a '73 Beetle and a '73 Westy.
Holzy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Ya I can only imagine countries got on VW for having oil purposely dripping from the engine. My bus being from Brazil had many addons that were done to reduce emissions etc.

I am not going to dive into the environmental debate, especially since I am from Alberta, the big truck for no reason capital of the world.

But awesome to see how it was originally done.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

The first time I used a rolling road, the 70 year old operator saw my crank ventilation into the top of after-market air filters and disconnected it with words of disgust. Since then I vent to the road. I know it's naughty but I've had the pipe into a catch can to see what happens and it caught about one drop over a few hundred miles.
My thoughts on the carb sucking on the tube - any excess pressure has come past the rings and would be pushed out just fine without the carb's help so it's purely environmental. It probably helps disguise your blowing rings though?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: new Kadrons sputtering on low RPM Reply with quote

Exactly right! An engine in good condition puts out very little oil through a stock breather. The PCV systems started coming into being in the late'60's. Prior to that every car make on the road ran a draught tube.

As far as environmental damage... what do you think the roads are made out of? The ugliest, dirtiest, worst part of crude oil that can't be salvaged for anything else mixed with sand and gravel. Does anyone bellyache about that? No but don't drip motor oil on it!! Rolling Eyes I get though that if all cars dribbled a lot the really busy intersections could get slippery at the start of a rain fall. More of a safety issue really.

And nobody likes spots on their driveway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: