Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front turn signal conversion
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

I'm getting the parts together to do a repaint on my '70 Ghia and am looking for some blank off patches for the hole for the front turn signal/reflector assemblies so they can be replaced with the earlier beehive lights. Does anyone make such an item? My body guy told me that something preformed would be easier than him doing the fabrication.
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

This is pretty far down my list of priorities, but yeah I'd like a pair as well. I assumed I'd have to bang out my own.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

My searching pulled up this. I can't vouch for it. For me it wasn't hard to remove, patch and cut the holes for the earlier lights.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/141809107b-...-side.html
Sketchy_1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

I did this to mine. I don't believe there is a repair or patch piece for this specific area. You would still have to trim off excess of a repair panel. Mine took less than an hour to fabricate and I am not a body guy by trade.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

Pretty straight forward. I'd suggest cutting out the original brackets with the mounting holes. At least the ones towards the front. Wish I had. It would have made getting the nuts on the new base easier. I used a 'plumb bob' to align the center of the new turn signals with the center line of the headlight bucket. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Pretty straight forward. I'd suggest cutting out the original brackets with the mounting holes. At least the ones towards the front. Wish I had. It would have made getting the nuts on the new base easier. I used a 'plumb bob' to align the center of the new turn signals with the center line of the headlight bucket. Cool

Thanks for the pix, much simpler than I had thought.
Barmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

I am considering doing this modification to my '71 Ghia.

Apparently the turn signal is directly in the center line of the headlight.

How far below the headlight should it be located?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

Quote:
How far below the headlight should it be located?

I mocked up the front bumper and put the head light rim on, then put the turn signal base in the middle between the two. Sorry, did measure it.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

Barmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:

Excellent! Everything needed in one picture.

Thank You
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

chiefdaveboats wrote:
I'm getting the parts together to do a repaint on my '70 Ghia and am looking for some blank off patches for the hole for the front turn signal/reflector assemblies so they can be replaced with the earlier beehive lights. Does anyone make such an item? My body guy told me that something preformed would be easier than him doing the fabrication.

Any body person working on a Karmann Ghia should also be able to be a metal former.
It almost a prerequisite.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front turn signal conversion Reply with quote

I realize that this is a 2 year old thread that I'm reviving, but I find myself in the same predicament. So a question to John Ghia, if you're still watching the forum, and can forgive my ignorance - is that a lowlight or a later model that you've provided measurements for?

Thank you! I want to get this right the first time, before I drill any unnecessary holes.

My late-style turn signal holes were welded up by the previous owner prior to paintwork and I don't like the headlights with built-in turn signal and marker lamps that I'm currently forced to run...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: