Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKowal1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Hello all,
Improvements are going well on our 1972 Standard Beetle. We do have a slight fuel leak at the top of the tank, especially after a fill up. I don't think it's a safety issue yet, but the smell of gas is a concern for my wife (not to mention the miniscule waste of fuel). I presume there is a simple gasket within the fuel sending unit that would be a straight-forward fix. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any input!
[/img]
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Pretty simple gasket replacement.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113919133
When you change the gasket. Be careful when tightening the fasteners.
You want the sender to get sealed. If you over tighten the fasteners, you can crack or break the sender.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

In addition to the gasket, don't forget the plastic/nylon sealing washers under the sending unit's mounting screw heads -- like these: https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=n138021. Note that the washer under one of the screw heads is usually a soft copper washer, used for both sealing and to provide a grounding path for the sending unit to function properly.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

It can also be a failed rubber sealing sleeve in the thick hose from the fender to the tank. Could even be an issue with the tank fume hoses.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

I made this. I had the seals made out of the same stuff they use here in Houston.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2630059

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

I used a liberal amount of gasket sealer to stop the leak. Then to make sure I had a good ground...

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
I used a liberal amount of gasket sealer to stop the leak. Then to make sure I had a good ground...

I hope you DIDN'T use RTV - that's NOT resistant to gasoline !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
runamoc wrote:

I hope you DIDN'T use RTV - that's NOT resistant to gasoline !!!!

RTV has it's place and is good for certain things. Anything to do with gasoline is not on that list.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Aftermarket seals didn't work for me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=774134&highlight=
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
JKowal1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Thanks again for the insights. I think I'll replace the sending unit and gasket, as they are affordable enough. My gas gauge also will never go past 3/4, so I wonder if the float is compromised due to age?

Upon closer inspection, I definitely have a breathing issue. Some past owner has cut and capped the breather lines on BOTH sides of the gas tank. This is a 72 and I do not see any remnants of a charcoal can. So, it's MacGyver time. I assume I can run a replacement line up, around, and down to slow fuel vapors, then get it out of the body underneath. Does anyone have tips on what size of hose is best? How do I know where the exit penetration should go (not glaringly obvious)? How far beneath? How important is the driver's side compared to the one that is off of the fill port? If someone was willing to give a simple overview of how the whole system is intended to work, I would be happy to know more, too. Thanks!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

JKowal1980 wrote:
Thanks again for the insights. I think I'll replace the sending unit and gasket, as they are affordable enough. My gas gauge also will never go past 3/4, so I wonder if the float is compromised due to age?

Upon closer inspection, I definitely have a breathing issue. Some past owner has cut and capped the breather lines on BOTH sides of the gas tank. This is a 72 and I do not see any remnants of a charcoal can. So, it's MacGyver time. I assume I can run a replacement line up, around, and down to slow fuel vapors, then get it out of the body underneath. Does anyone have tips on what size of hose is best? How do I know where the exit penetration should go (not glaringly obvious)? How far beneath? How important is the driver's side compared to the one that is off of the fill port? If someone was willing to give a simple overview of how the whole system is intended to work, I would be happy to know more, too. Thanks!

My EVAP system thread will help you get the tank venting sorted

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713211&highlight=
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
JKowal1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Lots of great photos and info. Thanks!
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Hi, looking at the insulated terminals, it looks as though you did not use the proper crimping tool, those terminals do not have a great reputation but they can work well if crimped properly, the proper tool squeezes the wire crimping part as well as the cable part, but to a different degree, in order to ensure strain relief.
The proper crimping tool bends and folds over the steel wings onto the wire end, whereas just squeezing them results in a very hit and miss crimp
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

BMFBMF wrote:
Hi, looking at the insulated terminals, it looks as though you did not use the proper crimping tool, those terminals do not have a great reputation but they can work well if crimped properly, the proper tool squeezes the wire crimping part as well as the cable part, but to a different degree, in order to ensure strain relief.
The proper crimping tool bends and folds over the steel wings onto the wire end, whereas just squeezing them results in a very hit and miss crimp

If you're talking about the crimp connectors, you are mistaken. The Thomas & Bates (ABB) are the best made with tin plated copper. The 'curled' parts of the quick-disconnect crimps are slightly flatten to make a better connection to the spade it's connected too.Not the thin brass ones that you seem to like and that turn black from oxidation and are round at the connection point. The crimp tool I used was made by T&B for their crimp connectors. The connectors are designed to be crimped once, as shown in the photo, not again on the insulation. Don't believe all of the myths you read on here about how great OG brass connectors are. Think about it, what's the number one complaint about the electrical system on old VWs? Poor connections! The brass connectors are so bad entire industries have grown up on making replacement wiring harnesses for our cars.
JKowal1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

Hello all,
I was able to get an OE expansion tank for under the trunk lid from eBay. Depending on whom you ask, a 72 standard was never supposed to have one. There certainly is no trace of a bracket or connectors on mine. At any rate, I'd like to include it. Here are a few questions for those who know:
Can I make my own strap bracket to hold this to the sidewall? I have a rivet nut tool gun to do it right.
Is the intent to pad this with weatherstripping, etc., to prevent rattles and fatigue?
Is grounding of this metal tank of any importance?
Is there really an input side/output side? They look the same and I was just going to keep the numbers right side up.
Thank you!

Last edited by JKowal1980 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

The Thing has a strap with it welded to an inner trunk wall

https://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=expansion&x=0&y=0

Maybe you can use that with a timesert.

There are lots of Thing parts in the classifieds where guys are parting out-maybe you can ask around if one of the straps is available for purchase.

Good luck
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

JKowal1980 wrote:
Hello all,

yes, on the grounding. My theory "a VW can't have too many grounds"
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
JKowal1980 wrote:
Hello all,

yes, on the grounding. My theory "a VW can't have too many grounds"

The fuel tank is supposed to be the grounding path for the fuel level sending unit. This is accomplished (in the original/stock configuration) via a soft copper sealing washer used under one of the screw heads which hold down the sending unit. The tank itself is grounded to the body via the four metal hold-down “clamps” near the tank corners.

If these connection points are corroded or dirty, the grounding path may be poor, and the fuel gauge performance adversely affected. Hence, some folks may choose to add an additional grounding wire directly between the fuel tank sending unit and a good body grounding point.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
JKowal1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

I don't think it turned out half bad. For full disclosure, this system currently ends with the downturn going under the trunk.

I was disappointed that the new sending unit acts very much like the old one, showing only about 5/8 when the tank is known to be full. The previous installation had NO washer on one of the five screws; I presume that was on purpose for the ground path. I found out on the first fill-up that some sort of washer is non-negotiable, or gas will continue to leak. I will plan for some copper crush washers in the future, but in the meantime I put the fifth plastic washer on that came with my replacement sending unit. Oddly enough there is still a circuit being made. Has anyone had an issue with the fuel gauge in the dash itself? My next step is to clean off the gas tank to body clamps and see if it gets any better.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit/Top Leak Reply with quote

JKowal1980 wrote:

I was disappointed that the new sending unit acts very much like the old one, showing only about 5/8 when the tank is known to be full.

Aftermarket parts are like that. You have to bend them to make them work. The gauge has an adjustment on the back (at least the VW ones do).
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: