Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

converting to metal dash
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

took off the hammered padded dash in my 70 beetle and going back to metal- question- will the original style plastic vents fit, my olld ones corroded so i hope to buy the right new or used ones for the conversion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

No. You'll need to switch to European vents. Also, in addition to filling the extra holes in the dash, you will need to change out the grab handle, knobs and glove box door. Several threads on it here if you do a search.
OldPrinter89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
No. You'll need to switch to European vents.

Any ideas on sourcing these Euro vents?
Mine came with the padded dash already gone, hate the way the vents stick up to clear the nonexistent padding.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

Heritage in the UK sells the vents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

Here they are. I took measurements of my Genuine VW OE ones as well since people re having issues with aftermarket suppliers not fitting.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2298201

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

measure first, order second!
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

The short knobs are used on a Type 3. I had to source the grab handle escutcheons from a guy in the U.K., they were used and came on a 68 and later 1200 model.
I don't know if anyone makes them new or not. I made these before I got the correct ones from across the pond. Notice how the ends are like a "v" not slanted like a padded dash handle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

looks righteous!
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: converting to metal dash Reply with quote

Thanks! They took awhile to get the right angles, since they're not very pliable. The factory ones are soft and conform to the dash a little easier.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: