Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split interior
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Split interior Reply with quote

Who sells a complete interior kit for split beetle 1950? Seat covers, door panels, headliner and pillows
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

I don't know if any one sells it all - sure is fun, piecing it all together - getting the best from eacha' the best...

I like Sewfine's headliners, TMI's panels and covers ain't bad, but there are better ones - KAFER NOSTALGIE is a great source - Some original pieces from thesamba classifieds, is a true find - continued, happy hunting - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

There are at least a few options out there...

For complete ready-to-install interiors:

West Coast Classic Restoration
Split beetle seat covers, carpet, headliners. I was happy with my 53 zwitter complete interior from Lenny and his shop.
http://www.classicvws.com/menu3.htm

Wolfsburg West
Split beetle seat covers, carpet, headliners.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/interior/headliner_seats/cloth_seat_covers.cfm

For split beetle interior fabric only:

I obtained my correct and excellent 1950 standard interior seat and door panel fabric and headliner from Marcus in Germany (beetlekey on the Samba) - https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO/

Ricardo at Split Parts Unlimited has split beetle seat fabric, too - https://splitpartsunlimited.com/
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

TMI and Sewfine don't have the correct fabrics for early cars.
West Coast Classics took forever to get back to me when I was calling around, and then the owner was not at all helpful. They supposedly do nice work but I can't bring myself to spend money with someone that acts like they don't care.
Markus (beetlekey) sent me a ton of pictures of things he has done and was currently doing, plus he understood the differences in seat frames. He made some adjustments to the covers so my 55 frames looked and fit correct toy with the 52 covers. The fabric is an exact match. If I have to do another early beetle interior I'll go to him.
SD
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Didn't West Coast Classics get new owners?

Not a good way to start a new venture by pissing off potential clients.

I really liked Lenny.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Don't know...they still have Lenny on their website. I purchased my zwitter interior from them 7 or so years ago. Didn't have any communication problems back then, however.

Have ordered countless parts from Wolfsburg West for many years without issue. If you are happy with the material choice they offer for your split, then they are a good option if you don't want to purchase material and separately have an upholstery shop make the seat covers.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Marcus Raeke (Wagenmanufaktur) is hands down the best available, his seat covers put West Coast Classics to shame.

I used a complete WCC interior in a 52 split-dash car and was not very impressed..mainly the seat covers sucked.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Is Marcus selling pre-cut + sewn seat covers now? I agree, the material I received from him for my 50 standard split is second to none, but of course, it requires an upholstery shop to create the covers.
51deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Thanks for All the great information friends
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

50Splitman wrote:
Is Marcus selling pre-cut + sewn seat covers now? I agree, the material I received from him for my 50 standard split is second to none, but of course, it requires an upholstery shop to create the covers.

Yes he is. Even had the padding stitched in so it stays in the correct place
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Back of the rear seat

headliner

50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Beautiful - best of the best. When I purchased my material from him, he wasn't offering complete kits like this, so this is great to see.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Originally he was not supplying seat covers, because he would pattern and make covers to each specific seat to assure they came out perfectly (he asked you to send your seats to Germany). Apparently now he is making covers and leaving it up to the customer to install them correctly...And to do that is much more difficult than it sounds. Proper looking split seats are a challenge, but when done nicely, really sets them apart from 90% of restorations.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Originally he was not supplying seat covers, because he would pattern and make covers to each specific seat to assure they came out perfectly (he asked you to send your seats to Germany). Apparently now he is making covers and leaving it up to the customer to install them correctly...And to do that is much more difficult than it sounds. Proper looking split seats are a challenge, but when done nicely, really sets them apart from 90% of restorations.

We always install our interiors - if the parts are made well, it is pretty strait forward - installations take a certain logic and once figured-out, it becomes easier and easier - headliner installations are the challenge and when installed nicely, makes the entire interior look great - one never acquires the interior-install skills, until he does a few - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Does anyone have a template for the front door cards? I sourced original split cloth and made all the repairs, and I now have to attach it to some type of hardboard, perhaps masonite or luan plywood.

If anyone has done this and can provide ANY tips/tricks I would really appreciate it. And of course I would really appreciate if anyone had a pattern for me to follow? I can cut the shape, but I know the holes for the panel clips are in fact offset.

Thanks!

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Does anyone have a template for the front door cards? I sourced original split cloth and made all the repairs, and I now have to attach it to some type of hardboard, perhaps masonite or luan plywood.

If anyone has done this and can provide ANY tips/tricks I would really appreciate it. And of course I would really appreciate if anyone had a pattern for me to follow? I can cut the shape, but I know the holes for the panel clips are in fact offset.

Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing, I've made new door cards for my 52, and I got the shape and size for the panels right, but I am not sure if I got the holes for the window and door openers correct. Does anyone have an original door panel, and are willing to measure the diameter on these holes?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers from Bergen, Norway Smile
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

esde wrote:
50Splitman wrote:

Yes he is. Even had the padding stitched in so it stays in the correct place

Back of the rear seat

headliner

I contacted Marcus but he said he doesn't have time to do an interior package. What's the next best bet? Kinda disappointed he couldn't do it. I have all the original seat frames but need the upholstery and the door and 1/4 trim panels.
Thanks for any help!!
2016 ATS-V COUPE
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

i would then try split parts unlimited for your panels, maybe even seat covers.Marcus is still first choice tho.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split interior Reply with quote

You should still be able to source the material from Marcus, and that is the hardest part to find. Then it's a matter of finding the right shop to make the covers and panels. WCC has changed owners and the feedback has improved, but I have no idea about the quality.
Before I purchased my covers, my plan was to send the seat frames and material to Logan at Sewfine. I had previously sent him a humpback bus seat and it came back with a gorgeous cover, so I was confident they could do a nice job.
SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: