Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My ´71 1302S restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HjaltiVignis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: My ´71 1302S restoration Reply with quote

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my ongoing restoration and give the full story, since no build is better than the story that follows. Not sure how long my story will be and you can stop reading now and just look at the pictures.

It is an ongoing project, but going to have it ready by the first day of summer, then next winter in again and headliner, engine and some other rebuilding will be done.

So.......let the story begin.

I am from Iceland, a cold damned island way up north known for volcanos, vikings, snow, glaciers and the blue lagoon.

I am 39years old and from as early as I can remember I have been a bug fan, one of my earliest memories is my grandfather telling me if I wanted his car to get dead battery after I turned on the hazard lights. My grandfather owned a workshop in the capital called and known as The Beetle workshop and my father used to work there as well, I worked as a salesman for the icelandic VW dealarship so VW runs in my blood.

For many years I have tried to get my hands on one and few have slipped through my hands (there are not that many here) When I met my wife 12 years ago I told her that if ever she wanted to marry me I had three rules. 1. I choose the food at the wedding. 2. I will get married in Air Jordans 1 high. 3. The wedding car WILL be a Beetle.

So to make a long story a bit shorter, finally in november 2023 a friend of mine was willing to sell his 71 super beetle and listed it. I called him the minute I saw it, told him to delete the ad, I would drive south and get the car the next day, wich I did. He bought the car in Spain in 2016 if I remember right and drove it 4.500km (about 2.800miles) with their luggage on top across europe from spain to denmark and took the ferry there to Iceland.

The was in great shape, and was not suppose to need any fixings......well that turned out to be a bit of an overstatement. After buying new upholstery, door panels and carpet I began to tear it down and the back floor quarterpanels were rusted through wich my friend had no idea about since it was not visible from underneath. I had a guy here in Iceland fix that up and the restoration of the inside began.

Let´s not have it any longer for now, I ended up tearing the doors apart and everything new in them, felt, winders, rubbers, just everything. New upholstery and panels along with carpet and on the outside all the chrome new and everything new in the ventilation system as well as fixing up and cleaning the wiring.

Here are a few photos of it as it is now, few minor tweaks left on the inside, motor runs great and after about three weeks on the first day of summer it will be ready to roll.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My ´71 1302S restoration Reply with quote

Looks great! Congratulations!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My ´71 1302S restoration Reply with quote

Well done Sir!
Good to see the kids aboard too.
And by the way - a perfect license plate. Cool
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My ´71 1302S restoration Reply with quote

That's well done.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: