Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Not the answer to the question, but I would recommend OP looked at FAS. Their 1.8T turnkey kit costs $1000 less than the Boxeer 1.4T from Boxeer. And you get to buy from FAS, which seems to have a way better track record than Boxeer (on this forum at least...).
Just a very satisfied FAS customer.

I don't know a thing about Boxeer other than the wizz streams always flying around here, but FAS is a straight up outfit, with great engineering. Their kits *are* turnkey, with new everything, and everything needed to do the install. Including new harnesses and tuned ECU. And each kit is put together on a test stand and run to make sure everything is kosher before they go out.

They ain't cheap, but they are turnkey and properly engineered. I can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose a 1.4TSI over 2.0T (or 1.8T if you don't mind raising the lid) unless possibly for a tin top that's just a daily driver. Westy or Syncro? Not me. And that's irrespective of vendor.
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm located in Brussels (Belgium, Europe) so unfortunately the FAS is not an option.

Another option for me is the 2.5 GW engine (currently 10300€ for just the longblock at https://dream-drive.nl/t3-engine/2-5-wbx-boxer ).

Maybe I need to investigate that option a bit more.

Anyway, thanks already for the replies.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Could you clarify the restriction? Why GW or Boxeer would be acceptable in Belgium, while others would not? Just curious.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Subaru EJ253 late model engine is ~160hp, putting down ~ 130hp at the rear wheels.
VW 1.9 wbx is ~90hp, and put down 72hp/80lb-ft of torque on my dyno.

I'd suspect that with the VW 1.4T, you'd see about 120hp at the wheels.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Could you clarify the restriction? Why GW or Boxeer would be acceptable in Belgium, while others would not? Just curious.

Isn't that 1.4 more common in the EU?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
khughes wrote:

Isn't that 1.4 more common in the EU?

Certainly. But the OP implied, by my reading, that there may be regulatory exclusions of some engines or vendors in Belgium. So I was curious if that is the case.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

Many EU cities have or are implementing growing restrictions on diesel vehicles entering central areas.

https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/belgium/bruxelles-brussel-brussels

Mark
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer 1.4L TSI experiences Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
Subaru EJ253 late model engine is ~160hp, putting down ~ 130hp at the rear wheels.
VW 1.9 wbx is ~90hp, and put down 72hp/80lb-ft of torque on my dyno.

I'd suspect that with the VW 1.4T, you'd see about 120hp at the wheels.

The 1.4 makes some delicious torque numbers. In a heavy Westy, I bet you would not miss the extra power that high in the RPM range and shift at around 4000 rpm or less. The 1.4 is developed for a flat torque curve.

1.4 TSI:

Maximum Horsepower @ RPM
147 @ 5000
Maximum Torque @ RPM
184 @ 1400

Subaru:

162 hp.at 5600 rpm
167 lb⋅ft torque at 4400 rpm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: