Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Hey all!

So my dune buggy (63 beetle) is finally down in RP for the rest of its natural life.

It has been running great for 5 days, and tonight when we took it back from the beach, it wouldn’t hold idle. She keeps shutting off at idle, but when revved up, it runs fine!

I tuned this in winter at my house (40 or so outside, and 3000 ft higher than here, and no humidity)

Tonight it was humid and 65 and she is acting very unhappy.

I suspect a dead battery, a clogged jet, or a bad fuel filter.

Any advice?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Clean the idle jet. Use carb cleaner and compressed air, from a compressor if you have one in RP.
Never been there. So I have no idea what the road conditions are there.

One of my bugs acted the same as you describe. I cleaned the idle jet (34 pict 3 carb) as described above and it ran great again.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

When you say the idle jet….. could you point me to the section of the Look Listen Do It Better that shows that particular jet?

This is nothing like my 60s mopars lol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Have a look at the left side of the carb float bowl. Read and post the numbers cast into the bowl.
That will identify what carb installed on your engine.
Then we can advise you on what particular jet is the idle jet. Solex placed them on different sides of the carb, depending on the model number.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

The only casting on the carb is

28 PICT
MADE IN W. GERMANY

,…… I’m realizing I didn’t post that earlier, I just assumed everyone in the world knew my car lol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Second diagram down in the link below. Is for a 28 pict carb.
https://uniceask.life/product_details/40741002.html
See Part #16/16A that is you pilot/idle jet. The difference between the two is, the larger jet (16A) has a fuel cutoff solenoid and the other is a standard idle jet(16).
Pull the jet and clean it as I described in an earlier post.

rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Update:

Cleaned pilot jet (a few times in case I was dumb)
No change

A noticable black smoke while running - she won't idle or even start if the throttle is at the idle position.

Coil is very hot to the touch (bosch 12v coil)

No change. Sad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

MmmK. That was worth a check.

Is the electric choke bi-metal coil possibly broken? Part #3 on the diagram I posted earlier.
Gently grasp the wire connector and see if it's loosey goosey. They will have a little wiggle to them. But a broken element will have pretty free movement.

Also is the choke properly adjusted so that it's just closed when the engine is cold and wide open when the engine is up to running temps?

rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

WELP

I found the issue. The air filter I bought from JBugs had a port on the bottom for a pcv / crankcase connection that I can't use. In fact I thought it was a knockout and I was safe. The port on the bottom of the air filter goes straight to the carb, no filtering at all.

Carb was FULL of sand.

Complete teardown and clean / reassembly plus a dose of adjustment for AFR etc. and she is all better now.

I swapped to a desert/race style gauze and mesh filter (the kind I had in high school to "gain horsepower") and I believe that will keep the sand from getting in.

Thanks for your advice, I learned a lot!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

I would definitely look at some pre-filters for that air cleaner you have. They will really help out with the sand down there.

something like these...

https://filterwears.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockypointbuggyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the kind I went with because it's what they had in stock at NAPA DE ROCKY POINT.

Seals up tight on the flange and has no extra ports - it's hidden under the rear engine cover thing as well. I think the port on the other air filter is really what got me, but this one is far better quality anyway.

Thanks all
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

That will help keep the cooties outta the intake system.

Make sure that it is oiled to capture the small stuff.

Good job assessing the issue.

Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle issue - Dune buggy new to Rocky Point Reply with quote

Back in the olden days, I had a Baja w/a paper filter set up like that.

GET RID OF THAT.

The dust is gonna come off your rear tires, the motor is gonna suck it up. I'd clog a filter in a day. Now, if you were to raise it up, about the fiberglass, so that it is in the fresh air, it would be a great improvement.

The dust environment that thing is going to live in is excessive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: