Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 ghia speaker kick panels
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodydropped72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: 66 ghia speaker kick panels Reply with quote

I know this has been asked before. Just picked up a really nice car that’s been painted and interior done back in early 2000s. Not wanting to change a thing but do want to put a stereo in it. Ordered the jbugs kick panel pods. From what I’m seeing they might fit behind a belt molding at the door sill? Again this piece is already carpeted. Take out the existing piece and have the speaker panel covered and affix in place of the old carpeted piece?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 66 ghia speaker kick panels Reply with quote

Since it's a really nice car, have you thought about getting one of these, rather than altering the interior?
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/standa...rmann-ghia
It's a stereo speaker in a single housing, that'll leave your interior un-altered.

I've been a professional sound engineer for 21 years now, and as much as I love the high end setup I have at home where I can listen critically, I also know that a loud classic car will never be an ideal listening environment. Personally I wouldn't even try to make it into one. You won't get the stereo separation you're used to with that speaker, but at least you won't be listening to stereo mixes paired down to mono. And something I've really grown to love as an audio nerd is imperfect audio when it's representative of a 'period-correct' situation. It's like traveling back in time Wink

But if that sounds terrible to you and you have to go with the kick panel pods, I'd recommend saving the original kick panel boards so that you can take the car back to stock if you ever need or want to sell it. Modern stereos that alter the interior of a classic car are something I'd use to try and knock the price down if I was buying a car.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 66 ghia speaker kick panels Reply with quote

In my 70 coupe, I used Action Glass kick panel speaker enclosures. They are fiberglass, so a bit more sturdy than plastic. Because they take up more space, the original carpet will not cover it all. Since I didn't want to cut a hole in the original carpet, I have left the kicks black. They are held in place by 4 sheet metal screws, and I kept the original panels so I can put them back, if I choose.

I also picked up a Retrosound stereo with Bluetooth and like it. I'm not a super audio guy, or play loud music, so it works for me.

Bodydropped72 wrote:
I know this has been asked before. Just picked up a really nice car that’s been painted and interior done back in early 2000s. Not wanting to change a thing but do want to put a stereo in it. Ordered the jbugs kick panel pods. From what I’m seeing they might fit behind a belt molding at the door sill? Again this piece is already carpeted. Take out the existing piece and have the speaker panel covered and affix in place of the old carpeted piece?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: