Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed Catalytic Converter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Magnaflows are cheap off market replacements for OE cats, on modern cars any tech worth salt will tell you to stay OE.

When you see the OE part at 1/3 the price of OE, it not market abuse, it’s quality

An OE part is not legal in California for our Vans as a replacement. California has a smog law that makes it illegal to use other than the new higher standard catalysts as a replacement. The higher cost of the California catalysts is in large part do to the higher content of expensive materials required to make the replacement catalyst California legal.
Hence the importance money wise of assuring the engine is running properly, else a very expensive catalyst be ruined. Frequent oxygen sensor replacements are recommended, replace BEFORE failure. spark must be perfect, replace ignition components before they fail, always keep in perfect tune!

I have several Magnaflow California catalysts, they are not cheap, they seem to be of good construction, stainless steel bodies, and loaded with catalyst material which gives incredibly low smog test results, like single digit ppm levels of the nasty stuff out the tail pipe, better than any OE catalyst I have ran.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Magnaflows are cheap off market replacements for OE cats, on modern cars any tech worth salt will tell you to stay OE.

When you see the OE part at 1/3 the price of OE, it not market abuse, it’s quality

I always thought Magnaflow made quality parts. Learn something new everyday.

Where are these OEM Cats located to purchase currently? A VW dealer?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I always thought Magnaflow made quality parts. Learn something new everyday.

Where are these OEM Cats located to purchase currently? A VW dealer?

read my post, I have found Magnaflow catalysts to be a very good quality.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

And where, pray tell, can you buy an OE catalytic converter for a 30+ year old Volkswagen? Your local VW dealer sure as hell ain't stocking them. Options are limited (Davico, Walker, Magnaflow...), but they all must meet EPA specs in order to be sold here. The 50-state cats must meet EPA and CARB specs.

Abscate wrote:

The CARB-approved cat converter for these vehicles has a current MSRP of $1400. About 6 years ago it was more like $600. The 47-State cat converter was $125 about 6 years ago. It's now doubled.

The price has little to do with quality and everything to do with material cost, shipping cost, inflation, and government regulations.

GoWesty says:

Note: The 47-State catalytic converter might be legal in your state, but it may not be capable of actually passing the emissions test! If the test you have to pass includes a maximum NOx measurement, you will need to buy the 50-state catalytic converter to pass the test.

Completely and utterly false. I've got two emissions test results over the last 4 years, one being just last month, to prove it. Magnaflow cat converter mated to a Magnaflow muffler.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Great to hear Kamz, and Thanks!

As mentioned, even when our first van had injector issues, and ran like dung, we passed by a mile.

I suspect the same will be true with this van and the aftermarket cat — and it runs really well!
(except for when not running, greatest camping rig of all time…! When it’s parked)

Thanks. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

As promised, I pulled the plugs for inspection, and am providing images.
This is a GW 2.2 Engine BTW

Also, I checked my notes and confirmed that a new O2 sensor, air filter, plugs, wires and tune up were done when the CAT was installed 7K miles ago.

I'm no expert, but it does not appear like a running rich situation based on the plugs, BUT the collective wisdom of the community will be appreciated !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Curious what others think, but #2 looks a fair hair richer — unless a photo anomaly for being the only photo in darker shade.

Edit: I do suspect it’s richer, but of low concern in my opinion. I use the “standard” BP6 plugs so also curious if others have tried yours — and even if they’re absolutely the same temperature plugs as standard.

I’m extremely confident in thinking overall they’re far closer to ideal than they are towards problematic rich. At least, this time.

I always shoot my plugs in a line, and in brightest shade, so lighting can’t alter the overall read.

At anytime in the cat’s life, are you absolutely sure it was never fuel-stinking rich? To ruin a cat so quickly you’d notice it, even on the highway.

— Colin Chapman
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

E1 - why would running rich make the catalyst framework break free from its attachments to the outer case, which apparently is the situation here? Just curious.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Running rich can make the catalyst run stupid hot and destroy structural integrity. Plugs look fine but an exhaust air leak can fool the O2 sensor into telling the ECU to pour the fuel on. Did you have an exhaust leak in the last 2 years? The degree of rust on the cat canister also says maybe it got rilly hot. Or you live in MN.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and Dan... interesting to read a possible exhaust connection and that plugs could look normal. Cool

We had water in the gas a couple weeks ago… smelled like it was barely burning gas when starting to stall and then trying desperately to even idle, cat exit temp went from normal 550-ish to 800.

If not for the “pesky” Sonoran sunlight I wondered if it was red-hot… probably was.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

An engine miss causes a perfect storm for high cat temps…. Extra O2 from the combustion cycle that didn’t fire to give the oxidative molecules, unburnt fuel to throw on the fire, AND an O2 sensor sniffing the extra O2 from the misfire and telling the ECU to add more fuel!!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Those plugs look lean to me.
i'd expect some chocolate after 7k miles.
#2 looks good.

What's the effect on the cat from lean mixture?
Lean mixture is usually "hot".
Agreed there's not much left to combust inside the cat.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Thanks for the good comments folks. The engine has been, and IS running great and not miss firing for the period in question.

I do think the exhaust leak is a worthy problem to consider. I assume we are talking about a leak before the CAT right ?

What I don't understand is, IF there is an exhaust air leak fooling the O2 sensor into telling the ECU to pour the fuel on, isn't this just a "running rich" situation ? and wouldn't the plugs reveal this ?

As far as what could cause the catalyst framework to break free from its attachments to the outer case, I'm wondering how it is adhered ? and could the adhesive fail, ie a defect ?

The vendor says that IF it was defective (the catalyst breaking free) would have happened right away and not after 7k miles.

However I end up getting a replacement, either under warranty, or shelling out another $1200, I'm definitely going to make sure no condition exists that will destroy the CAT prematurely before installing it!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

I don’t buy the “would have happened right away” argument logically, there’s a lot of production issues in nearly any part on Earth that would defy this. Sounds a little convenient.

Have you called Magnaflow?

I’d also think if all being the same and there was an exhaust leak, the plugs should still match.

I hate to say it, but with the lighting so different on the four plug photos I don’t think we’re seeing how close — or far away — from each other they actually are.

Plug 2 looks best to me, and I think Sodo’s right that they overall look a *little* lean — though it’s close to impossible for anyone to know dead-accurately with the lighting variances.

But overall, I’m more convinced this was a simple parts failure than it was a running condition problem.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Of course I do also agree that their argument is pretty "lazy".

I have not contacted Magnaflow yet. They have a well honed warranty process which involves paperwork, receipts etc, and they also say start with the vendor. Their website has all the details.

BTW: Magnaflow is also now selling what looks like an improved version, and for less than GW. So you know where my money is going IF I have to buy a new one!
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/3391918-magnafl...er-3391918

I agree that I could have done a better job at documenting the pulled plugs. I pulled and imaged them one by one, instead of pulling them all at once and lining them up. So conditions did vary a bit. I might redo that after I run a few miles on them and get a more consistent outcome for comparison. I believe this will be useful in making a case for warranty.

It seems that the fact that there is no obvious "smoking gun" with plugs that point to running rich, IS in my favor ?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

goubeaux wrote:

What I don't understand is, IF there is an exhaust air leak fooling the O2 sensor into telling the ECU to pour the fuel on, isn't this just a "running rich" situation ? and wouldn't the plugs reveal this ?

yup. that's why i said a PREVIOUS exhaust leak! to me, the plugs look fine. mine run pretty white too, not really getting the 'tan' from days of yor with pre-O2 sensor, lead rich gasoline, and carb'd V8s anymore.

MagnaFlow might request you send it in for warranty examination on this expensive an item. they will be able to ascertain a lot of the history from their lab analysis (meaning the guy in receiving looking at it). hopefully, it will not be like battery warranties here in the north where when the battery fails, it freezes and bulges, and when you bring it in they say "the battery is bulged and froze, we can't warranty that".

www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Sorry Dan, I, too missed your “previous!” Embarassed

Onboard as a possible cause now… and on shipping it Magnaflow to exam. I’ve found most (good) companies to be straight with results in cases like this.

Personally, I’d still call in advance to have some idea of policy and/or to not waste even the shipping — but mostly to “know” a contact. Can absolutely tip the scales. Plus I love knowing people, and their gigs. Works magic. Cool

In the end, it’s typical they’d say to talk to whomever sold to you, but if that’s refused a good supplier will work with you and I’d personally, *absolutely* put a voice to that discussion if at all possible.

— Colin Chapman
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

goubeaux, if you have not already done so, check the CARB website for info on catalytic converters. There are many rules about this. Here's one page: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/aftermarket/aftermktcat/installcatq&a.pdf
The spark plugs in the photos look OK. I'd think that the failure of the CAT was due to a manufacturing problem, at 7K miles. Hopefully you have all the documentation: receipt(s), warranty card, etc. Ultimately the manufacturer is responsible for any warranty consideration.
I keep reading posts that state that the CARB compliant CATS have "more" precious metals and work better than the non-CARB cats. Hence a higher price. I think the higher price reflects the required 5 year warranty.
Also the NOx reduction has been a function of CATs for the USA market since the early 1980s. These are so-called 3-way CATs in that they reduce CO (carbon monoxide) by combining an oxygen molecule to it, making CO2, and reduce hydrocarbons by 'burning' residual fuel, and finally reducing NOx. IIRC the CAT breaks apart the NOx into nitrogen and oxygen. The oxygen helps the other functions of the CAT to work better. I doubt if anyone is still selling the old type 2-way CATs.
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Xflyer, Thanks for that link to the CARB pdf.

Lot's of info there, most of which is confusing and poorly written, however this IS relevant to my situation and I'll paste it below for the benefit of others:

Q. What are the conditions under which the manufacturer must honor the warranty?

A. Aftermarket catalytic converters must be warranted for 5 years or 50,000 miles from defects in materials or workmanship. The warranty covers loss of conversion efficiency, detection of a malfunction within the converter by the vehicle’s OBD system, corrosion of the converter shell and end-pipes, and faulty welding that occurs during the course of normal usage.

Abnormal engine operation, including over fueling, the presence of engine misfire, of excessive oil consumption would not constitute normal use, nor would physical damage to a converter caused by road debris or vehicle accidents.

Should an installer or vehicle owner believe that their warranty claim was unreasonably denied by the converter manufacturer, the CARB staff is available to investigate and possibly mediate such a claim.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

That sounds great. As mentioned, I’d go test it as is, but now for a different reason. Show up prettied up (not you, specifically). Wink

If you’re anywhere within “test passing” range, that pretty much should exclude it failing from bad running.

I’d suspect the CARB people would fully agree and advise the seller to show a little basic interest next time, if not a little damned courtesy in helping you solve a pollution issue beyond “Pay Now, Pay in Full.”

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: