Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced)
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Just had the car's master cylinder replaced by my shop and after getting home I was advised that the brake lights weren't illuminating by a camp-follower (wifie). Fuses all appear to be fresh and functional. Seems likely that the fault lies with the brake light switch on the master cylinder. Does that seem a logical conclusion? Perhaps the blade electrical connectors on the switch were inadvertently left unconnected? Can't think of any other reasonable explanation. Think

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
Just had the car's master cylinder replaced by my shop and after getting home I was advised that the brake lights weren't illuminating by a camp-follower (wifie). Fuses all appear to be fresh and functional. Seems likely that the fault lies with the brake light switch on the master cylinder. Does that seem a logical conclusion? Perhaps the blade electrical connectors on the switch were inadvertently left unconnected? Can't think of any other reasonable explanation. Think

Either they left them disconnected or reconnected them poorly or they used the original siwtches which were bad or just as likely they used a new master cylinder with new switches which have been just as bad as often.

The other question: what cylinder did they replace it with? What brand and what bore size?

A lot of newere cylinders come with single pin switch and a lot of factory models come with a two pin switch.

Next, how are your brakes working? its possible they did not bleed it well and your switch has an air bubble in it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Either they left them disconnected or reconnected them poorly or they used the original switches which were bad or just as likely they used a new master cylinder with new switches which have been just as bad as often.

The other question: what cylinder did they replace it with? What brand and what bore size?

A lot of newer cylinders come with single pin switch and a lot of factory models come with a two pin switch.

Next, how are your brakes working? its possible they did not bleed it well and your switch has an air bubble in it. Ray

The service manager mentioned something about a 19/23mm (I think) larger cylinder bore size that supposedly resulted in a much increased stopping response, but the mention of it was quick and the circumstances were such that I don't recall the whole exchange. Service report says: "914 update to 19/23mm, includes adapt inlets from reservoir." No mention was made of the replacement's make or brand, other than the fact that it was a 'new' part. The part removed, which he showed me, was leaking significantly in use and pretty grimy/dirty.

The brakes seem to work well enough now although again, I have no idea about the new replacement's connections, although I 'felt' the connectors with my hand (blind), after partly lifting the FWD floor cover plate behind the accelerator, and there seemed to be two blade connectors attaching to the stoplight switch.

That's about as much as I've been able to determine at this time. Does any of this help, Ray?

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

I've gone through several 914 service/repair references I have and in Patrick Paternie's excellent HOW TO RESTORE AND MODIFY YOUR PORSCHE 914 AND 914-6, on page 90, mention is made of installing a LARGER 19mm Master Cylinder (to replace the 914-4's stock 17mm unit), such as is found on the 911 and 914-6. This larger bore cylinder is a substantial improvement over the small bore cylinder, according to Patrick.

This is the 'larger Master Cylinder' that was used on my car and indeed, the braking seems notably improved with the new cylinder installed. However, that still leaves the matter unresolved of the 'non-working' brake lights.

As near as I can determine, the two most likely possible culprit components are 1) the stop-light switch or 2) the connections that hook up to the cylinder itself. Checking under my car (the protective Master Cylinder plate seems to be missing) and pulling the rubber boot back from the connection in reference, it appears that my new cylinder has a single blade connection on the side of the connection's end portion...but I note two wires going into the wire container tube leading up to it (?). Glenn mentions that there are single and double wire connection cylinders, so whether this may be a problem source or not I am uncertain.

Still waiting for contact from my shop regarding bringing the car in to have this resolved...which seems passing strange, since the shop did not check to see that the brake lights were working after the cylinder replacement AND ya can't drive the car safely without functional stop lights! Grrr. Grrr.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
I've gone through several 914 service/repair references I have and in Patrick Paternie's excellent HOW TO RESTORE AND MODIFY YOUR PORSCHE 914 AND 914-6, on page 90, mention is made of installing a LARGER 19mm Master Cylinder (to replace the 914-4's stock 17mm unit), such as is found on the 911 and 914-6. This larger bore cylinder is a substantial improvement over the small bore cylinder, according to Patrick.

This is the 'larger Master Cylinder' that was used on my car and indeed, the braking seems notably improved with the new cylinder installed. However, that still leaves the matter unresolved of the 'non-working' brake lights.

As near as I can determine, the two most likely possible culprit components are 1) the stop-light switch or 2) the connections that hook up to the cylinder itself. Checking under my car (the protective Master Cylinder plate seems to be missing) and pulling the rubber boot back from the connection in reference, it appears that my new cylinder has a single blade connection on the side of the connection's end portion...but I note two wires going into the wire container tube leading up to it (?). Glenn mentions that there are single and double wire connection cylinders, so whether this may be a problem source or not I am uncertain.

Still waiting for contact from my shop regarding bringing the car in to have this resolved...which seems passing strange, since the shop did not check to see that the brake lights were working after the cylinder replacement AND ya can't drive the car safely without functional stop lights! Grrr. Grrr.

I will have to look at the wiring diagram later but typically on the two wire switch...think of it as a hydraulic relay. From this thread below

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317941

It appears that "hot" or + is routed to one pin of the two wire switch. When the switch is closed (brake pressure) it feeds that positive to the other pin and the brake lights whose negative side is already grounded to the chassis.

If that is correct...and that is what it appears to be from the wiring diagram in that thread.

And....from what this thread is saying...the brake light switch is NOT the switch attached to the master cylinder. The brake light switch they are speaking of is a mechnical one on the brake pedal arm down on the pedal cluster.

From what I am seeing....the hydraulic switch was early and teh mechanical switch was late?

Here is the hydraulic switch

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/90161311501...J4EALw_wcB

Here is the mechanical switch:

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/12631072-WT-91161341...T6EALw_wcB

The possibilities:
Its possible that if they used a single pole switch that came with the new master cylinder...that they connected only one of the two wires to it. In order for it not to blow the fuse feeding positive to it they would have connected the side that went straight to the rear brake light bulbs....and either clipped off or tucked away the actual hot/+ wire feeding it so it gets no power.

or.....

Your car has the mechanical switch on the brake pedal cluster and its out of adjustment or has a wire pulled loose from having a new brake master cylindr installed. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Hi Ray. Yup, my car has the mechanical switch, so earlier today I assumed the contortionist posture, scrunched down into the footwell, pulled up the pedal assembly floor-panel, and tried to adjust the switch. The Brooklands 914 tech/shop manual has the procedure pretty well explained and illustrated ("Insert a 4mm thick piece of metal between the pedal contact and the pedal stop, then loosen the adjusting screw's locknut so that the adjusting screw may be set at the right position to trip the stoplights with minimal pressure"). All well and good, except that I lack the needed angled 15mm wrench that is required to loosen the locknut, Hence, I'm basically dead-in-the-water in terms be being able to make the needed adjustment myself. Bummer and a half!

Sooo...I'm back to waiting for a call from the shop to let me know if and when they can adjust the switch for me. I should hear something from them tomorrow (Monday after Easter) about this. Hopefully this will be squared away ASAP, since the shop clearly failed to observe the final step involved in trading out the old (17mm) cylinder for the new (19mm) one:"CHECK TO BE SURE THE STOPLIGHTS FUNCTION NORMALLY!"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

An update on this little problem (that is likely very inconsequential to most old 'Porsche hands'). As I mentioned earlier, I was unable to make this minor but very important adjustment to my brake pedal's stoplight switch due to lacking an angled 15 mm wrench to get the adjuster screw's locknut loosened. As well as I can determine, one needs to either have a whole set of angled-head metric wrenches in one's tool chest already or go down to the nearest auto parts store and buy the specified sized wrench to resolve this matter (which is probably somewhat expensive and likely to be used only once in a very long while).

Since I have enough of a Scot lurking in my DNA, I'm a bit like the Scot who has had a wee bit too much to drink and is standing in front of a 'pay-to-use' toilet at the Highland Games, squirming with discomfort due to being just not quite fully convinced of the need to part with a required coin! (Apologies to our Scots friends across the pond!). [Of course, a real Highlander would probably skip the formal niceties and just let fly in the grass, nearby, but...]

Fortunately, my shop called me this AM and said they could take me back this Wednesday (day after tomorrow) and do the adjustment or me, but I am again reminded of the fact that when one has German air-suckers in one's stable (whether Porsches or VW Bugs), a few special tools are absolutely mandatory to have handy in one's tool chest. And like work on Italian cars, it also helps to be a contortionist with smaller-than-usual hands, LoL. Wink

As a parting comment, I have amassed a huge collection of Porsche/VW 914-specific technical references in my library but I have found, perhaps not too surprisingly, that no single book or manual has EVERYTHING one may need in it to get a certain job done properly on one's car. There always seems to be one book in particular among them that covers a needed repair or service more completely and/or in greater detail than the others. Furthermore, the fact that each reference doesn't uniformly index specific subjects exactly the same way often means that you can't depend upon turning to a book's end-index pages to quickly find the subject you are searching for. I've also often been both surprised and mildly flummoxed to find that what one book may cover in some detail (with great images/diagrams, etc.) may be almost totally missing (or lightly breezed over) in the other books. That said, and despite the fact that a number of excellent references have already been written on both VW tech matters and Porsche-specific ones, there's still room for another attempt to write and publish a 'compleat' (sic), master service and repair manual for 914 owners.

I say this as a shade-tree mechanic with only marginal skills, of course, since I often need a bit more hand-holding when tackling what more skilled and accomplished amateur mechanics would consider kindergarten-level repairs. Still, as an equally ardent bibliophile, I keep hoping for that 'ultimate, supreme 914 service and repair manual' to come along, some day! Pray [Of interest is the fact that back in my work in Cardiac Surgery suites (as a perfusionist), I was the same way...always seeking out supportive cardiovascular peer involvement, LoL! The more minds bearing on critical problems, the better the chances of resolving them!]

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

the master cylinder warning switch has nothing to do with the operation of the brake lights, it is the switch on the pedal cluster under the wooden floor board. They probably dislodged the plastic brake light switch finger when they removed the master cylinder
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the master cylinder warning switch has nothing to do with the operation of the brake lights, it is the switch on the pedal cluster under the wooden floor board. They probably dislodged the plastic brake light switch finger when they removed the master cylinder

Thanks, George. Yeah, that's likely where the problem lies, but I suspect that the brake pedal pressure setting is slightly off, since the larger 911-type piston requires an adjustment in a scenario like this (hence the adjustment listed in the Brooklands 914 shop manual cited earlier). [My car has had a metal Rennlist floor-board substituted for the original wood panel, BTW.]

By the way, what's your take on using LED type bulbs in the rear taillights and stoplights? It would seem that brighter lights in the rear would always be advantageous!

At any rate, tomorrow the car goes back to the shop for this adjustment, so we'll see.

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Just got the car back from the shop this AM, where the stoplight problem seems to have been resolved. I was told by the mechanic that "...the little arm that actuates the (stoplight) switch was not properly aligned on the switch and a little fiddling with it got it back operating properly."

That said, it seems slightly improbable that VW/Porsche would have designed and engineered a stoplight switch actuation that COULD get 'out of proper alignment' in the first place" but there it is. I suspect that they did not carry out the resolving procedure outlined in the Brooklands procedure that I highlighted above but since I wasn't there watching over anyone's shoulder, that's the impression I received from my mechanic.

They also found a bad bulb in the right rear taillight structure, but whether that had any additional effect, I am uncertain.

Next problems to deal with concern a speedometer replacement cable and a new throttle (accelerator) cable, since both are in less than optimal operative condition. The speedo will be sent off for a rebuild and I'll just buy the new cables from Pelican or Auto Atlanta.

What next? My car ("Jezibel") seems to be full of surprises. My mechanic told me also that my dual-carb (Weber 40IDF) set-up probably included a mild performance cam added so as to work with the custom (Monza-type) exhaust system on the car. I sorta suspected the up-graded cam, since the car wants to scream in the higher RPMS and does a sort of 'rumpa-rumpa-rumpa' at idle. "Oh yeah! Your 1.8 engine is now probably putting out about 110 BHP, so there's no telling what other engine mods it may have had (like bore & stroke alternations, etc.)." Quote, unquote!

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes lights suddenly not working (master brake cyl. replaced) Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
Just got the car back from the shop this AM, where the stoplight problem seems to have been resolved. I was told by the mechanic that "...the little arm that actuates the (stoplight) switch was not properly aligned on the switch and a little fiddling with it got it back operating properly."

That said, it seems slightly improbable that VW/Porsche would have designed and engineered a stoplight switch actuation that COULD get 'out of proper alignment' in the first place" but there it is. I suspect that they did not carry out the resolving procedure outlined in the Brooklands procedure that I highlighted above but since I wasn't there watching over anyone's shoulder, that's the impression I received from my mechanic.

They also found a bad bulb in the right rear taillight structure, but whether that had any additional effect, I am uncertain.

Next problems to deal with concern a speedometer replacement cable and a new throttle (accelerator) cable, since both are in less than optimal operative condition. The speedo will be sent off for a rebuild and I'll just buy the new cables from Pelican or Auto Atlanta.

What next? My car ("Jezibel") seems to be full of surprises. My mechanic told me also that my dual-carb (Weber 40IDF) set-up probably included a mild performance cam added so as to work with the custom (Monza-type) exhaust system on the car. I sorta suspected the up-graded cam, since the car wants to scream in the higher RPMS and does a sort of 'rumpa-rumpa-rumpa' at idle. "Oh yeah! Your 1.8 engine is now probably putting out about 110 BHP, so there's no telling what other engine mods it may have had (like bore & stroke alternations, etc.)." Quote, unquote!

It's several days since I drove the car back from the shop, after having returned it for the brake-light problem. Per the above, it initially appeared that the non-working brake lights matter had been resolved...by "...some fiddling with the switch's actuator arm."

Imagine my surprise, then, when I attempted to check the brake lights days later only to find that they were STILL NOT WORKING! You'll recall that I had expressed the opinion that I suspected my mechanic had NOT adjusted the switch (per the procedure outlined on page 129 (illustration 9.24 and 9.25 on that page) in the Haynes 914 shop manual. Therefore, I decided to assume a contortionist posture and dive into my car's footwell so as to carry out that procedure myself, despite all the hassle and confined room within which to do so.

It took me a while to do this, but the Haynes procedure is very clear and explicit as to how to adjust that little switch 'arm' that trips the brake-lights when the brake pedal is depressed. Long story short, it turns out that my hunch was absolutely correct: the mechanic did NOT adjust the switch so as to compensate for the change in pedal travel that the new master cylinder required! That was indeed the cause of my irksome and 'mysterious' brake-light problem!

After my adjustment, the brake-lights now work just fine and operate perfectly normally, just as they should!

So what is there to take away from this experience? No matter how good your Porsche service garage may be, no matter how great is its rep for providing precise, high quality service, problems like this may still occur (for a number of possible reasons, including service schedules, pressure on mechanics to finish the work and get the car out, etc., etc., etc.). In other words, "STUFF HAPPENS."

Bottom line is that quite often, if one has at least some modest experience with one's car, your intuition is often quite helpful in resolving a seemingly 'unresolvable' service problem. That was the case in this instance, but also of extraordinary help are the enthusiast resources such as 914WORLD, The Samba, and other shared forums. Thanks to all of you who weighed in on this little matter, folks! The 'shared 914 community' is worth its weight in OEM Porsche parts, LoL! Applause Dancing Applause

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: