Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v coil replacement question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: 12v coil replacement question Reply with quote

I damaged my Bosch blue coil and am looking for a replacement. I have seen some 12v Bosch coils that are black in color, which I really want due to color.

I notice that some of the coils I have found have the stud and nuts where the wires connect, instead of the wire terminals. I assume you can buy these wire terminals spades separately, ya?

is there any reason why the 12v black coil wouldn't work? any reason it wouldn't work with our type 1, 12v engines?

is there a specific model number I need to be looking for?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v coil replacement question Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
I damaged my Bosch blue coil and am looking for a replacement. I have seen some 12v Bosch coils that are black in color, which I really want due to color.

I notice that some of the coils I have found have the stud and nuts where the wires connect, instead of the wire terminals. I assume you can buy these wire terminals spades separately, ya?

is there any reason why the 12v black coil wouldn't work? any reason it wouldn't work with our type 1, 12v engines?

is there a specific model number I need to be looking for?

I recently bought this replacement coil for my 67.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00199F2WW?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1
You can just the terminals from your old coil to the new one, if it isn't supplied with the terminals.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v coil replacement question Reply with quote

didn't think of taking the terminals off the existing. wow Smile

here's the black one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXXAHY2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H3U43F7PVQ0T&psc=1
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v coil replacement question Reply with quote

Use whatever brand you want make sure its 3ohms and 12v

Nothing special about Bosch coils. I have been using a 17.99 coil from O'Reilly for 8 years no issues sure its now 30$ but still. I just switched over to the Pertronix 3ohm 40k so far its nice time will tell.

You can paint the coil any color you want. Wash it in the sink with a blue scrubby pad and soap. Air hose it dry little blue tape around the top run a wire thru the little hole on the terminal hang it and spray it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: